Thread: Recommendation for Homer Halibut Fishing?

Default Recommendation for Homer Halibut Fishing?

New to these boards so hopefully I'm doing this right (and hopefully you'll go easy on me if not!). My fiance and I are traveling to Alaska for our honeymoon in August 2012 and we will be spending 2 nights in Homer. He used to be a commercial fisherman out of Gloucester, MA, so its important to me to give him a great fishing experience! Halibut is one of his favorites, so Homer it is! Does anybody have any recommendations for a fishing charter I can look into?

Since he's an experienced fisherman, the quality of the trip will make a difference. He'd prefer a smaller boat with a smaller group, and one that has an experienced captain with a healthy respect for the fish and the industry. Maybe that's all the Homer trips, but I'm not familiar with any of them so I just can't be sure. Any recommendations appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Mike Swan at spiritcharters.com or Tony Arsenault at Falcon Charters. Cream of the crop of Halibut skippers in Homer. They are the real deal. I've done numerous trips with them and they know how to find a rack of good fish.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I would say Driftwood Charters will get you on the fish. If you go over to http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Repo...lerreport.html, and look at all of the reports from "Klondike Kid", Shane Blakely and Driftwood Charters, you'll see these guys are slaying the fish year round. I'm in no way affiliated with them; just am amazed at the number and size of fish they catch.

Capt Pete on the Julia Lynn is a long-time Homer halibut guide that we used last summer. My wife and I had a blast fishing with him. We selected him because of his quality reputation and he did not disappoint. Most of the Hooer guides are priced about the same, and take groups of 6 people (6packs) out. If you do yoru homework and review past posts, you will start to notice that some consistently get good reviews.

Default Capt Pete

My mutha was born in Glou'sta and I spent many summers at Long Beach.

I second Capt. Pete on the Julia Lynn, but you should do a search of this forum on halibut charter recommendations as this subject has been thoroughly discussed.

Check out Silver Fox! Or Mann's charters! Ask where they fish? and what pound average they bring in. you may want to look into halibut, lingcod combo on one day and halibut salmon combo on a second day!

Pro or con, but the Julia Lynn is a no smoking boat. The only one in the fleet, as far as I know.
    Pete is a fun guy and a good skipper to boot.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

+1 for Tony Arsenault. Good guy and you will have a fun trip with him.