Thread: Black bear options for my wife...

Default Black bear options for my wife...

I'm trying to gather some ideas and put together a black bear hunt sometime this spring for my wife. She recently started hunting with me and has been all about bow hunting. She wants nothing to do with a rifle and wants to hunt the hard way, with a bow.

She's done great so far but with her limited range, we were unable to get her a caribou this fall while hunting. I know she's mentioned black bear to me and I've seen lots of women do it with a bow, even some young kids.

I don't have access to a boat or wheeler and have hunted my brains out along the Seward highway to no avail, even with a rifle, so that's out. I've looked into going over to Seldovia on the ferry but heard that most the area down there is privately owned and that the road out of Seldovia is no longer driveable.

Are there any outfits that might run un-guided bait stands for a good price? Any areas that are good for glassing in the spring to the north?

Any ideas or advice would be most helpful.

Thanks

Get in touch with Homer Dave and ask about the other side of the bay for spot and stalk black bears. I know they do OK with rifles over there, however bows might require some additional knowledge for where bears feed and being able to get set up for one to walk by (ala Fred Bear and his rock blind on the beach).

Depending on how much money and time you want to put in to it, there are some places in this state where bears are many and people are few. The "Lost Coast" is one such place. I could have filled a dump truck with black bears using a rifle. A bow would have been a little more complicated, but not difficult if I had enough time to put into it.

dude you should just get a bait permit, set up a bait stand (kotton knows where to put one) and hunt like that to get her first bear, then try something different

Release Lake Trout

If you have a mountain bike Eklutna lake is a good place to try. Close to home and easy access that and you can cover alot of ground quickly

You know, I've heard people mention eklutna but after a mountain bike trip in there this spring, I guess I'm just not seeing it. I went all the way to the end of the lake and saw nothing but thick brush halfway up the mountainside or more.

Id love to run a bait station but am wondering how feasible it really is from anchorage. Seems like a million people doing it down south with few bears to show for it. For the money in gas and bait it might be cheaper to use an outfitter? That does unguided bait stations? I don't know.

Try Fullcurl outfitters have heard good things