Thread: W/C accessible brown bear??

Default W/C accessible brown bear??

Hey all, I have a cousin who is a W/C bound Marine vet. He was asking me the other day about the possibilty of making a brown bear hunt. He has been in his chair for about 14 years now and is one tough SOB! I got to thinking and I wondered if such a hunt is even possible. He is non resident so he will need to be guided. Does anyone have a suggestion? I was wondering about some sort of boat based option? The other option would be pred management and over bait but I don't think that is open to non-residents.

PM Kyle (ret25yo), he is well versed in aiding wounded veterans on bear hunts.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Will do, though I thought it was mostly for black bear.

I MAY be mistaken, but I thought there where Browns involved as well. Best of luck and good for you!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I'm not doing anything. The guy showed me what real toughness is. I have watched him sit in near freezing water for 6+ hours waiting for some ducks and geese to fly by. He does more in that chair every year than most do in their lifetimes.

I feel that his best opportunity would be a fall hunt where the bears are on the fish. The peninsula would probably be one of the better spots. Even with a boat based hunt he would not be allowed to shoot from the boat. Black bears would be a much easier thing to pull off and he could get a permit to shoot from a boat.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

HD... I tried to PM you back.. We are well versed in aiding the wounded Veterans through the wheelchair BB exemption. we were able to get 2/3 of the only brown bears taken under the exemption last spring. We have wheelchair accessible stands as well as transportation and accommodations. I will PM you the Details as HAVE-AK would love to help your cousin. We did also do black bear, and fishing, and rafting, and jetboating, and 4 wheeling, and flight seeing.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Hey all, I have a cousin who is a W/C bound Marine vet. He was asking me the other day about the possibilty of making a brown bear hunt. He has been in his chair for about 14 years now and is one tough SOB! I got to thinking and I wondered if such a hunt is even possible. He is non resident so he will need to be guided. Does anyone have a suggestion? I was wondering about some sort of boat based option? The other option would be pred management and over bait but I don't think that is open to non-residents.
    i helped guide christoper whitley while working for deltana outfitters some years ago...three hunts, three seasons on the lower penninsula. hes a quadripelegic...it'd take pages and pages and thought and effort to explain those three hunts, but here's the gist: it can be done. chris wanted nine foot or better, and is a very stubborn guy. i've got film of him within range of two bears judged at over eight and half feet by the senior guide i did the hunt with. he coulda killed either one. tell your cousin to call my boss. i'd guide him and have a bit of experience with that type of hunt. its alot of work. but cant think of anything more rewarding. tell him thanks for serving regardless.

zack

my boss is wade renfro, we're always up for a challenge and we've got the bears. 907-545-4135 call him. i've ask him in the past if he'd let me guide chris on a hunt for our outfit and he said yes, dont see any reason he'd turn your cousin down.

Less Katzeek in Haines took Dave Olerud from Haines with no problem in getting a nice brown bear.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

wayne woods of woods outfitting outa cordova, great area, great guy. he lost his son in iraq a few years back and has devoted alot of time and work to wounded warriors outa his hunting camp. They get quiet a few beach bears down his way.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212