Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat Build Pics

Default Boat Build Pics

There was a thread on here earlier this year about building duck boats-- several mentioned they were going to build this winter-- me being one of them. Send in your pics if you would like to share -- your experiences and lessons learned. I have not started as of yet-- TOO many honey do projects that still need to be completed before I start, unless I want to add building a DOG HOUSE to the list as well.

I am mid stroke here, its killing me to spend my spare time in the shop and not on the water but it will be worth it. I have been neglecting the boat this week and chasing fox, but I will get back at it tomorrow.

I went with a Gator boats Duck hunter. I have been working with a kayak for the past two seasons and before that have used every Jerry rigged duck boat imaginable, so I figured its time to do this right. I am now finishing up the wiring and boxing in the fog lights up front, then its flip and glass the hull.

here's some build pics.

Here's a little more progress on the interior. I gave the entire thing a coat of epoxy resin then sprayed the floor with Al's liner, and camo'd the interior.

Foam filled the four corner voids for emergency flotation, and started wiring up the lights.

I am close, but still have a bit of work. The glassing is the next major step. I should have the boat ready to flip in the next day or two, and hopefully done soon. Im running out of duck season here.

I have a trailer and new 20hp Tohatsu taking up the rest of the room in the shop now, she's slowly coming together.

Good looking boat, what is the overall length and width going to be. Bud
    Wasilla

Thanks Bud,

I really likeed the look of the boat and the features. It is 14'7" and widt is 48" on the floor, and 55" at the rub rails.

All the specs and a really nice example of the DH can be seen at the Toller Boat works site. http://www.tollerboatworks.com/speci...nd_pricing.htm

I have pretty much copied most of the added features that Brad builds into his boats, pump, interior lights, nav and fog lights. I actually started out planning to buy one of his used boats that popped up, but shipping up to AK was insane. Once I figured that was not an option I just dove in.

So far so good, it is a pretty simple build.

Great looking build!! I love how you made the gun holders. You keep the strength and have a spot for you gun.

Can't wait to see more updates!

Erich

wow, 14 is a big boat, where do you plan on using it, have a estimate of the weight when done
    Wasilla

I have a nice sheltered bay that I usually hunt via Kayak (paddle to rocks and stash kayak) with the boat I will be able to settle in behind some rock piles and hunt from the boat, or any of the marsh/back bay areas that I hunt. All pretty sheltered.

14' is a pretty good sized boat, but wanted room for gear, dog and occasional hunting partner.even with the length the boat still sits very low and is easily concealable.

weight..........mmm trailer heavy. According to the TB sight he says 350ish and goes up with gear motor and whatever else you see necessary. All the specs and better pics of a pro build on the link above.

Thanks for the pics-- shoot us some more when you make the next step. Living vicariously through you right now. I am going to build a hybrid started working on a place for the build in my garage today. Have a few projects to get out of the way and plan on doing that while the plans are being shipped. Sometimes you just have to do it. Between honey do projects, dog training, WORK, and now the boat build my winter is filling up fast.

Very nice looking boat

MDH. I just finnished the last of the fiberglass on my new build. Once I get it painted I will take a few photos and post them. Duckdon

moto_0290.jpgmoto_0302.jpgA couple pic's of my Hybrid NL I just built.

Very nice.

At least someone is working here. i am ate up with fox hunting right now, so production in my shop is at a crawl.
    I am slowly working on the interior. No gunning for her this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdon View Post
    moto_0290.jpgmoto_0302.jpgA couple pic's of my Hybrid NL I just built.

I am jelous right now-- as I stated earlier about winter filling up now I have added a shower in the house that needs new tile due to leaking in the wall and the latest is my truck is not running so I am troubleshooting that--- jeeeeez I will never get started on my boat.

If you and AKmik do not mind sharing prices to build would love to hear that. The internet advertises prices but as we all know they do not always work out that cheaply here in the last frontier. Also the NL does not have pods??? and how long is the boat?

Great job -- thanks for sharing

Default The Crack of Dawn 10.0

My boat is just under 8' and cost me about $400 not including labor. Glass and glass mat were the big ticket items. Glass mat was $96 bucks but I have a bunch left over. 3 Gal. of resin was more than I should have used at $49 per gal. Doing it again I would have over-layed the 2ed layer of glass onto the wet first layer. Should get by with less resin doing it that way and still get a good seal. I would also make it 9' long with a dog box in the rear. I am a big guy so there is no room for my dog. Loonkin at adding a space behind the transom for her or building another boat. I wanted it small and light, 77.5#, to handle it easily and get into the grass flats where I will use it. Plan to haul it on my 20' Go Devil boat and drop it where I need it. Duckdon

The Crack of Dawn 10.0

Broom, thats a great looking boat, shows good workmanship and I like the design. Looks larger then the sub 10' boats we see mostly on here. Could you provide the specs and aprox cost of the build. I need something that will hunt 2 shooters, with a couple dogs and still be light enough to move around on land by hand. Bud
    Wasilla

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast