Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Vintage" sleds....

Default "Vintage" sleds....

So I'm toying with the idea of just getting the kids a good starter 250/340 instead of doing the whole 120 route. I think "Hey, look for something in 80's even into the early 90's and see whats up". My sister had a killer little yamaha when she was a youngster and the thing was rad!

After a few weeks on Craigslist, the general consensus is that if the sled is 'old enough' people automatically jump onto this vintage/tired iron bandwagon and the sled that SHOULD be worth around $500 is now worth $1000 or more because "Hey, you could race vintage with it!".

Hey, your sled is old/heavy/has broken parts/has missing parts/etc. (yeah, I did go look at a few)...WHY ARE THEY ASKING SO MUCH FOR THEM!

\rant...

Well,

go offer this guy $800 for this 1989 Yamaha Bravo Longtrack:

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/2761875163.html

He just posted it so it won't be there for long. Would make a dandy sled for a kid or a grownup alike. Look to be in good condition. There are deals out there, and asking prices are always negotiable.

Yeah that's not too bad. I think I might hold off until this spring/summer and put it off a year. Not much snow in the yard for the kiddies to tear up anyways! I don't think it would hurt for them to get a bit bigger too...

They want so much because of the time of year, thats right they figure it's time to ride and if you want a sled you'll have to pay a perimium for it. I have been watching snowmachine adds for 2 years now, soon as the salmon start to run the price will drop 25-40%. The vast majority of the folks trying to unlaod a piece of **** before the motor is completely shot will vanish as well.

I find it all very frustrating! Values don't fluctuate based on weather but many seem to think the chances of shafting your fellow man do!!!!!!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

buy low and sell hi! get to use the machine for free.
    Semper Fi!

Dang! What's the matter with you Hunt? Don't you know you are required as an American and as an Alaskan to pour at least four grand out on a machine for your kid? Anything less and the bank will be disappointed and the Jones down the street will have one up on you. Not to mention that you won't be able to fill up your 4-place and you'll be a bad father...

you'll be abusive if you don't buy your kids super premium gas too, or if you have them buy there own gas
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

BTW I got ovation that had been in a garage it whole life and ridden very little from a guy in palmer for 400 bucks a couple years ago. it was in awesome condition, and ran like crazy for a few months, then things started happening, and soon enough it broke down so I kicked my self for buying an old machine for cheap but this year, with better mechanical experience I have not had one single problem after I got it started other than I only get 6-10 MPG, but it is very powerful still and a blast although I am to big for it.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I had an ovation growing up. Loved that thing. Electric start and the works!!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I had an ovation growing up. Loved that thing. Electric start and the works!!

Mine is the first year Ovation so no electric start, but I do have hand and thumb warmers that will burn a hole in your gloves if you have them on for more than an hour or so! during my latest little bump I went over in point mackinze I broke off one of the warmers as they were a wee bit long for the handlebars and now if I'm not on snow it shocks me...
    but i don't get how it has electric warmers if there is no battery or anything like that...same with the headlight

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Mine is the first year Ovation so no electric start, but I do have hand and thumb warmers that will burn a hole in your gloves if you have them on for more than an hour or so! during my latest little bump I went over in point mackinze I broke off one of the warmers as they were a wee bit long for the handlebars and now if I'm not on snow it shocks me...
    but i don't get how it has electric warmers if there is no battery or anything like that...same with the headlight
    Generator on the flywheel.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Yeah that's not too bad. I think I might hold off until this spring/summer and put it off a year. Not much snow in the yard for the kiddies to tear up anyways! I don't think it would hurt for them to get a bit bigger too...
    With the Bravo you can put tires on the front so you can drive them year-'round.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

them things are fun to drive in the summer to with the tires on them, i was going 50mph almost one time on one in anchorage in the late 70's early 80s
    Semper Fi!

They are a $1000 not because of vintage racing, but because you can't buy the dang things any more. Since none of the big four make a small sled anymore, the price is high. I wouldn't sell any of my Indy Lites for less than $1500...the price of a new 120 (which is junk)

The first snowmachine to exceed 100 mph was either the 1979 or 1980 Yamaha SRX 440 liquid cooled. It think they actually got up to 110 mph. It was a tiny little sled, not much longer than a kitchen table. If you race vintage, look for one of these, you will win the race every time if you know what you're doing.

Besides racing machines, I loved my Sno Jet with it's baby blue cowling and the yamaha 440/ Mikuni Carb......snappy sled it was.

My father has a very old "Eskimo" snowmachine and it's whole life stored inside it looks brand new. It has a Sachs 292 cc. single cylinder. The cowling is a metallic hunter green color, very neat old sled.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    They are a $1000 not because of vintage racing, but because you can't buy the dang things any more. Since none of the big four make a small sled anymore, the price is high. I wouldn't sell any of my Indy Lites for less than $1500...the price of a new 120 (which is junk)

you cant compare old snowmachines to new ones, the new ones will never last as long as the ones built in the 70's and early 80's, new ones are built real cheap and junky, they are all for short term enjoyment and not the long haul like they used to be. throw away machines now.
    Semper Fi!

That sled is in mint condition but there is no possible way I can will or would pay that kind of $$$ for a 21yr old sled!! The guy is nuts in my opinion
    My .02
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    That sled is in mint condition but there is no possible way I can will or would pay that kind of $$$ for a 21yr old sled!! The guy is nuts in my opinion
    My .02
    Yeah, that guy's a crackhead. There's no need in asking that much.

Yeah, this is the kind of crap I'm talking about...OK, this is worse!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast