Thread: I think I'm ready.

Default I think I'm ready.

I submitted my application earlier this fall for the Matsu hot spot hunts. I had considered buying a slug gun but better sense came over me and I decided to check out my bird gun, a Beretta 686 Onyx, with slugs. I've shot it for almost 20 years and still shoot it biweekly on trap, skeet and 5 stand. In all this time I never shot a slug through it. I picked up 3 boxes of the Remington 1 ounce Sluggers and headed to Birchwood. I had intended to do some load testing on my 400 Whelen but the overcast skies made it tough for the chronograph to read and the wind kept blowing my target frame over. Geesh, can't get a break. I headed to a 25 yard range for a quick test of the Beretta. I installed the skeet tubes and shot offhand using only the front bead and the same sight picture I would use for a straight away bird or clay target. I was impressed. I might have to actually sand bag it to see what it can really do. Now if they would hurry up and call. Probably call when I'm working doggone it.

Shot one was in the orange bull, shot two was at 0430, shot three at 1200 just above the bull, shot four at 1200 just above three and shot five was at 0530.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Should be good to go for city moose unless they have shrunk a great deal from what I have seen.

Good luck with your load work and hunting. Like LuJon said, I unless moose have shrunk you will do fine.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I would buy several brands and try them. My 870 full choke likes Remington slugs. The H&R single shot likes Winchester first then Federals. Each shotgun is different. With my H&R I could usually do some 3" groups at 90 yards. I also avoid 3" magnum slugs. The extra energy was not worth the extra recoil.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I would buy several brands and try them. My 870 full choke likes Remington slugs. The H&R single shot likes Winchester first then Federals. Each shotgun is different. With my H&R I could usually do some 3" groups at 90 yards. I also avoid 3" magnum slugs. The extra energy was not worth the extra recoil.
    I'm not quite that serious about shooting slugs through my O/U. I am quite pleased with the performance of those Remingtons. Think I will stick with them. I do agree with not shooting 3" slugs. That Beretta jumps enough with the 2 3/4 inchers. I have a couple extra boxes of the Remingtons so I should be good for a few years of hot spot hunts. Why don't they call?

Mart

I was usin the reminton but decided to try brennek (from 3 bears) and they are more accurate outta moms 1100
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

not that going from 6 to 4 inch groups at 50 yards is gonna matter to a moose
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.