Thread: Monofilament or Spectra braided?

Default Monofilament or Spectra braided?

Having seen the discussion on trolling reels, my next question is which line do you prefer for salmon trolling, monofilament, or spectra braided with a mono topshot?

I love both, but continue to spool my salmon trolling reel with mono. Its cheap, I am used to how it fishes (changing to spectra changes the action/intensifies it). There are a lot of reasons to go to spectra though. I run spectra on my jigging setups. Also I have lost fish on borrowed spectra spooled reels because it wasn't loaded/wound tightly enough on the reel and it dug into the spool, so spectra requires more attention than mono.

Sobie2

I really like the spectra, but ONLY 60# or heavier. Anything lighter in my book is a real PITA to untangle when it comes to that. And it doesn't take as much 60# or 80# to fill a reel. I quit bothering with the topshot.

I have to check to confirm but I think this year I finally went to all spectra on my boat, and every setup has 6-10' of mono as a top shot. The advantages of the mono topshot is improved abrasian resistance where you want it, a little bit of shock absorbtion where you want it, and larger dia line that won't cut your hand when you're bring a fish to the boat.

Yes, when smaller dia braid get's tangled, it's best to cut your losses. I love the sensitivity of braid and just haven't seen a downside to it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

I like spectra mainly for line capacity, I use 50-60lb test, then I had some repeat customers complain that it was a pain to set in the downrigger, in windy days it would wrap up on the guides and the normal reaction is to whip it, that would tie knots at the tip and piss em off. The fix was to put a 50ft piece of 50lb fluorocarbon topshot via a sebile knot, plus it sticks on the releases very good.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    I like spectra mainly for line capacity, I use 50-60lb test, then I had some repeat customers complain that it was a pain to set in the downrigger, in windy days it would wrap up on the guides and the normal reaction is to whip it, that would tie knots at the tip and piss em off. The fix was to put a 50ft piece of 50lb fluorocarbon topshot via a sebile knot, plus it sticks on the releases very good.
    Those are important issues with braid and downriggers. It tells you how little I use my downriggers!