Thread: Solid door source?

Default Solid door source?

Does anyone know a good place to find solid wood commercial doors? I keep looking at C/L hoping to find a few from a hospital renovation or similar but no luck thus far. I am hoping to cut them down to use as a reloading bench top.

Check with SBS, ask to see their leftovers or damaged doors, I bought some a few years back for about $30 each, sometimes they are warped or have been cut down or have some flaw. They would work great for a bench.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Check with SBS, ask to see their leftovers or damaged doors, I bought some a few years back for about $30 each, sometimes they are warped or have been cut down or have some flaw. They would work great for a bench.
    Thanks for the recommendation. The SBS mill-works shop in Wasilla may have just what I am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Does anyone know a good place to find solid wood commercial doors? I keep looking at C/L hoping to find a few from a hospital renovation or similar but no luck thus far. I am hoping to cut them down to use as a reloading bench top.
    Solid doors work ok as bench tops but the core is particle board. Two layers of furniture grade birch plywood glued together will make a more solid top and will likely be as cheap or cheaper. If you have a Lowes near you they should have the plywood, and at least around here they have solid core door leaves too for comparison.

I have a few I may part with but I'm wayyyyyy down in Moose Pass.

If you can't find a solid door, just get a sheet of 3/4" ply, rip it in half and glue together with pl adhesive aka liquid nails. It makes for a plenty stout bench +p.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.