Thread: Outboard vs Inboard help!!

Default Outboard vs Inboard help!!

Alright, I am in the market for a new boat/nice used boat.. I have experience running a 19' alumaweld with an outboard prop up(family boat) and down the Yukon and a cpl of the creeks off the river. I am looking to get my own and am trying to decide between an outboard or inboard.. I know with an outboard I have the option of putting a jet unit on there but am concerned about fuel economy.. Do the inboards get better fuel economy then the outboard jet units? Are they any more troublesome for maintenance? Thank you in advance for the advice..

The biggest difference to me is turning speed. The inboards are much more responsive. The ability to switch between prop and jet is certainly a big win for the ob if you plan to run in the salt. I talked to Glen Wooldridge about putting a big OB on one of his 22' super-sports for a do it all rig and he said that for hauling big loads like moose I would be better served with an inboard.

Oh your going to get a million different answers. There is no one boat fits all. At least that is what I have been telling my wife, and I have 5 now... . But It really depends on the application you want it for. If the Yukon is 95% of what your going to use it for, then an outboard w/prop is the way to go. Some will tell you to put a jackplate on and you can adjust, (and you can) but it's a pain unless your really good with boats. As for inboard vs outboard, both have there place, but in general I think the inboards are going to get worse mileage than the newer 4 strokes or E-Tec's/Verrado's outboard w/jet. But you'll haul more with an inboard vs outboard.

For the river, I run a 24' SeaArk with a 150 Yamaha jet. And I just did a Koyukuk moose hunt this fall with 3 guy's and gear. I know my boat up and down and stayed within my limits and the jet was fine, but next time I do this trip, for sure I will put a prop on. I used about 200 more gal than AKJeff (another forum member, look under hunting and "2 guy's, 2 kids, 2 moose thread) did and he ran with prop plus was able to haul his 2 moose out, were as i had to have our 2 hauled out.

So in all honesty, it does really depend on what your applications will be. The perfect set up in my opinion is;
    Tony

Here is the thread...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-amp-21-Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    Oh your going to get a million different answers. There is no one boat fits all. At least that is what I have been telling my wife, and I have 5 now... . But It really depends on the application you want it for. If the Yukon is 95% of what your going to use it for, then an outboard w/prop is the way to go. Some will tell you to put a jackplate on and you can adjust, (and you can) but it's a pain unless your really good with boats. As for inboard vs outboard, both have there place, but in general I think the inboards are going to get worse mileage than the newer 4 strokes or E-Tec's/Verrado's outboard w/jet. But you'll haul more with an inboard vs outboard.

For the river, I run a 24' SeaArk with a 150 Yamaha jet. And I just did a Koyukuk moose hunt this fall with 3 guy's and gear. I know my boat up and down and stayed within my limits and the jet was fine, but next time I do this trip, for sure I will put a prop on. I used about 200 more gal than AKJeff (another forum member, look under hunting and "2 guy's, 2 kids, 2 moose thread) did and he ran with prop plus was able to haul his 2 moose out, were as i had to have our 2 hauled out.

So in all honesty, it does really depend on what your applications will be. The perfect set up in my opinion is;
    Tony

tzieli22, I did just read that story the other day and seemed like the setup he has did just fine.. Lujon brought up a good point about the salt, I do look at getting a dual purpose boat for running in the rivers and in Valdez or Seward. Fuel economy and hauling are my main two concerns, not really looking to haul a 4wheeler anywhere but just a couple animals and some folks.. We run a fish camp up on the Yukon and a majority of the use will be up on the river, but I will be taking it to various places around the state.. Maybe I will just convince my wife I need more than one!!!! Well, I do have a lot of choices and setups to decide on.. Can't say I dont like being in this position

If you are looking for load hauling/fuel economy, go straight to a V-8 IB jet.
    A design like a Super Sport Drifter or a good old Wooldridge Classic will work on the ocean. You won't get the economy of a prop, but you will carry a whole lot more than any outboard jet will. Once you start loading up an outboard jet, the economy drops right off, unless you use a prop, but then why have a jet?
    If you are talking 2 moose, don't even bother with an outboard jet, you will not be happy. My 20' Wooldridge Sport with a 150 Opti outboard jet will get 4 adults, gear, full gas and a moose and a goat on step ok, but my economy is out the window. A 200 or 225 would do better, but no where near what a 6.0 and a Hamilton 212 would do. But I'm ok with thats, as I run the lakes a lot in the summer, and only one moose hunt.
    My take on it, reading your needs and want is you would be better served and happier in the end with a V-8 IB jet.
    My $.02.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.