Thread: Couple questions

Default Couple questions

Shoot a CVA silver eagle shot it a few times this summer no problem cleaned it put it away, shot it a few days ago, seemed like the primer was slow to ignite the powder, think it is do to colder temps or maybe nipple hole was not cleaned as good as I thought?

I'd bet on the latter. Anchorage just isn't cold enough to affect ignition time.

Shot my T/C Renegade a few weeks ago when it was 5 degrees outside. Had no problems, it shot just like it does in the summer. Always clean the nipple if you have the chance and if it still gives you problems, try the "hotshot" nipples if they still make them. Are you shooting pyrodex or blackpowder?

Default no black here

I wouldn't go back to black if you paid me. Even pyrodex is tough enough to clean up after. You just can't clean blackpowder firearms too much, but the opposite is easy to do if your cleanup job is not thourough enough.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I wouldn't shoot anything BUT Black Powder.

I have 3 rifles and one pistol, and I find them easy to clean, using BP.

Pyrodex is harder to ignite, and collects more moisture than BP, which is probably why folks say that BP is more accurate.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by 60sChild View Post
    I wouldn't go back to black if you paid me. Even pyrodex is tough enough to clean up after. You just can't clean blackpowder firearms too much, but the opposite is easy to do if your cleanup job is not thourough enough.
    I doubt anyone wants to pay you. What are you trying to accomplish by posting such garbage to a muzzleloader forum?

IMO, my black powder rifle cleans up easier and quicker than my non-black powder rifles/pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    I doubt anyone wants to pay you. What are you trying to accomplish by posting such garbage to a muzzleloader forum?
    I agree. Funny what people post. They guy is asking about ignition problems, not a philosophical discussion of the merits between black and substitute for powder.

I only asked what he used because it could make a difference as to what is causing his problems. I don't use black powder because it has been easier for me to get the alternatives than black. I have never had ignition problems and cleaning is the same. Just use plenty of hot soapy water and then wipe down with T/C Wonderlube to prevent rust. No big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by summitx View Post
    ...seemed like the primer was slow to ignite the powder, think it is do to colder temps or maybe nipple hole was not cleaned as good as I thought?
    Another possibility:

I get much the same symptoms when a nipple is worn out. It happens suddenly, sometimes even right in the middle of a string of shots. If you haven't changed that nipple in quite a while, I'd be inclined to do so now as a part of your search for solutions. They're cheap. If you can't find a local supply, look here. If you haven't been to that site before, heads up that browsing can get expensive!

thanks everybody, shooting pyrodex, sounds like need to clean the nipple better or go ahead and just get a new one

Are you using shotgun primers, musket caps or the little primers?

You probably don't need to replace the nipple. Try cleaning it with a single steel wire (from a wire brush). A proxy brush might fit also.

One thing I've found over the years in dealing with muzzleloaders- Oil after cleaning- and were does the oil end up? down by the breech and in the nipple/ vent- if you store your guns like most people do- muzzle up, but a little bit of windshield washer fluid and then a dry patch or two before loading will help immensely. the nipple (or vent if a flinter) gets a pipe cleaner with washer fluid, then the dry end. Before loading I always snap a couple of caps in the empty gun to make sure any residue I missed with the dry patch is gone.

45 cal and smaller I use 3fff and 50 cal and larger get 2ff and always pick the nipple after every shot

Quote Originally Posted by roadapples View Post
    One thing I've found over the years in dealing with muzzleloaders- Oil after cleaning- and were does the oil end up? down by the breech and in the nipple/ vent- if you store your guns like most people do- muzzle up, but a little bit of windshield washer fluid and then a dry patch or two before loading will help immensely. the nipple (or vent if a flinter) gets a pipe cleaner with washer fluid, then the dry end. Before loading I always snap a couple of caps in the empty gun to make sure any residue I missed with the dry patch is gone.
    I also snap a few caps before loading, but instead of using oil after I clean my gun, I use T/C "Wonderlube". It is great stuff. After cleaning with super hot soapy water, I rinse with hot clean water, then I rub down all surfaces (and swab the bore) with Wonderlube. Let it sit and wipe off the excess. I has worked great over the years. I've had my Renegade since 1992 and have had no rust problems. The big bonus is that there isn't oil runoff into the breach like with Breakfree or other oils.