Thread: Yamaha Kicker--Fuel Filter

Default Yamaha Kicker--Fuel Filter

I have a 2006 Yamaha four stroke 4hp kicker. It has an intergral fuel tank with a small fuel filter. I haven't used in in over a year, and it won't start. It doesn't appear to be getting any gas. I'm thinking the fuel filter may be clogged. Can I use an ordinary replacable filter from the auto parts store (the small inline ones) or should I only use that specific Yamaha filter?

Thanks for your advice.

That little inline filter is more of a screen, its fairly unlikely that it is plugged. If you do want to replace it, I would use the stock filter. More likely would be fuel dried in the carburetor blocking fuel passages. I would also make sure that you have the vent open and the fuel selector set to the correct fuel source, that motor has a 3 way valve to shut the fuel off or select the internal tank or external tank.
    Good luck.

Thanks for the info. The vent is open, and the valve is in the correct spot--I check 10 times after 50 pulls on the starter rope! I'm really dreading it if it is in the carb. The shop manual says that it can sometimes be the internal filter, which I was hoping what it was--just haven't had a chance to replace it yet. My next attempt is to use an external tank to see what happens then. If nothing, I guess it's off to the shop. Bummer...was hoping to save money by doing it myself. Don't really want to touch the carb--too scary.

Any other suggestions on what to do?

The only other simple thing is the safety lanyard/kill switch. If the lanyard is on, but you don't get spark, it could be a failed kill switch. Disconnect the white wire coming off the kill switch to remove that from the system. Once you know you have spark, move on to the fuel. If you've pulled several times, pull the plug, it should be wet with fuel. If it isn't then you are correct in that you aren't getting fuel. The passages in the carbs are extremely small and when fuel dries in the carbs it can plug these passages or stick the float closed. You can tap on the side of the carb to attempt to free the float. If that doesn't work, then the carb will have to be gone through. Good outboard shops will have an ultrasonic cleaner that cleans a carb better and faster than anyone can at home, it shouldn't be a huge bill.
    Also, that external tank will go through the same filter on the motor, if you can blow through that filter easily, it probably isn't the issue.