Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: About bad experiences.

Default About bad experiences.

Hello:
    This is my first post in this forum.
    Some time ago I enterd here trying to get infofmation about my recent Alaskan hunt. Finnally I went to Alaska from Spain for moose, grizzly, black bear, wolverine and wolf hunt.
    I coul NOT see any legal animal in 12 hunting days. Only my hunting partner could get one black bear: Two hunters hunting twelve days with licenses for all animals can be hunted in that area and we dit shoot one time. The area was like Sahara desert near Dillingham and we both hunted with _______________.
    We did come back to Spain very dissapointed after a very bad experience.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 12-20-2011 at 11:44. Reason: removed name

Quote Originally Posted by amozorro View Post
    We did come back to Spain very dissapointed after a very bad experience.
    Welcome to the forums amozorro! I have a few questions about your bad experience.

Did you see beautiful places while in Alaska?
    Did you get to experience true wilderness?
    Did you breathe fresh air and drink unpolluted water?
    Did the two of you eat well during your trip?
    Did you get to enjoy beauty, peace and quiet?
    Although you didn't shoot, did you see wildlife?
    Other than shooting, did you enjoy your vacation?

Remember you went on a "hunting" trip, not a "shooting" trip.
    Many hunters return to enjoy Alaska's beauty over and over.
    Many shooters visit Texas to shoot fenced animals instead.
    Whichever one you choose for your next trip, please make sure your guide understands your expectations clearly!
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

Sorry to hear you were disapointed with Alaska, but that is the northern world. The envroment can't support herds like Africa, and if all you want to do is shoot I would recomend you go there. There are many of us that have gone hunting here and come back empty handed, but we don't ***** about it because we are out hunting for the wilderness experience not to pile up a bunch of animals. If you had done your own research you would have found you usually only hunt one species in an area and if you happen across another OK, but that doesn't happen all the time.

About your questions:

- Yes I ded see beautifil places in Alaska.
    - Yes, I got experience true wilderness. Maybe less cold weather than I expected but a very raining weather. Anyway I was surprised about the few animals we saw, and I am not speaking about game animals but all kind of animals: birds, partridges, hares, carnivores, game animals. we only saw eagles, seaguls and, of course, salmons. Fishing was what I expected, but I didn´t go for fishing.
    - Yes I did breathe fresh air and drank unpolluted water.
    - The food, under my wiev, was not the best food in my life, but it´s not a problem. I didn´t go to Alaska for eating. I went to take a good time and hunting. I´ve been hunting in Mongolia, Zimbabwe... and the food was poorer there. Besides, the way to cook and the meats are different in Europe and Alaska. This was not a problem.
    - Yes I enjoyed beauty, peace and quiet. In fact we spent many hours at the camp (too much in my wiev) without doing anything. I had too much time to think about my family, my work...
    - yes I enjoied in Alaska and enjoied with alaskan people. It was nice people ( taxis, Captain Cook Hotel staff...). I visited some gunshops in Anchorage and they are a dream for an european hunter. Including personal staff at the camp and PH was good people and I have not complaints about them.

Finally: I know I went for a hunting trip, not a shooting trip. But when you shell a moose hunt to five hunters ( I meet with three hunters more) and you can get five different animals and none of them (except one black bear) make ONE shot in 12 hunting days ( when I came back to Spain I received news about one of them who got one moose at the last minute of the last day, but I am not sure) you must be agree with me that you can not offer a 100% succesful moose hunt during last years like ---- emailed me.( I can send you the email, if you want to). It was only a lie. What he had to do is to say that it is a difficult and impredictible hunt, at least in his area.
    On the other hand I didn´t see not even a brown bear, baby or big; NONE. So I am only telling the true: 12 days hunting I had not chance to shoot. I know it can happen but I am only telling my experience beacause I have friends with very different experiences from that great land: Alaska.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 12-20-2011 at 12:18.

Oh boy. I know the guy you were with. Please contact me via email at <lostcreek@ak.net>.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Oh boy. I know the guy you were with. Please contact me via email at <lostcreek@ak.net>.

-Mike
    Aw, come on Mike, this could make an EXTREMELY interesting thread. If he has an email, its not just hearsay.
    I, too, know the outfitter in question.

Oh boy. I know the guy you were with.
    So, the guys name gets left in the original post? Consistency?

Quote Originally Posted by amozorro View Post
    Finally: I know I went for a hunting trip, not a shooting trip. But when you shell a moose hunt to five hunters ( I meet with three hunters more) and you can get five different animals and none of them (except one black bear) make ONE shot in 12 hunting days ( when I came back to Spain I received news about one of them who got one moose at the last minute of the last day, but I am not sure) you must be agree with me that you can not offer a 100 percent succesful moose hunt during last years like Creig emailed me.( I can send you the email, if you want to). It was only a lie. What he had to do is to say that it is a difficult and impredictible hunt, at least in his area.
    On the other hand I didn&#180;t see not even a brown bear, baby or big; NONE. So I am only telling the true: 12 days hunting I had not chance to shoot. I know it can happen but I am only telling my experience because I have friends with very different experiences from that great land: Alaska.
    Weather can impact hunting trips. How was the weather? Is that the reason you spent a significant amount of time at camp.

perhaps lost in translation or your story ... but it seems you are claiming he 1) lied about past years claimed success or 2) your parties success did not correlate at all when compared to his last years success rate. In my opinion, if your claiming he lied, "then please support such accusations" as you specifically identify him out in your first post.

What most folks don't know, is that most of alaska doesn't have mush for game, anybody around here who hunts can tell you that he hunting, as far as harvesting meat, is better down in the lower 48 (such as in oregon, we always got a bunch of deer every year, never had a lack of meat) where as up here, most of the people who don't fly out and pay thousands of dollars for a fancy boat and a winchester model 70 with a ziess scope, we don't get much for game....ever. if somebody gets a road kill they are lucky. heck if you can afford to take time off work to hunt your lucky i've never flew/boated out but I would imagine the game its behind every bush like the californians say. Ya we get 700 lbs of meat off a moose but you only get one every 3 years or so. where as in oregoin each family member than hunts gets a deer and some surveys every year. I understand your frustrations, I would be to. not seeing game is pretty bad, but most folks expectations are way higher than they should be.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Bad hunts are what make you appreciate the good hunts!!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

To come up to Alaska and try to hunt all five animals that you mentioned would be an impossible task. Even for an experienced Alaskan hunter it would be nearly impossible in the time frame mentioned to take all of the game on your list. Even being successful on 1-2 species would be a successful hunt. I think your expectations were way too high.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    So, the guys name gets left in the original post? Consistency?
    yeah, something came up suddenly and I got distracted... I see Dave took care of it though. And Gary... well...

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Guys, it sounds to me like the guy has had a lot of hunting experiences around the world. So I'm pretty sure he's aware of inflated expectations and such. Truth is there's no way to quarterback this thing without knowing all the details. This one could be anybody's fault, or nobody's fault. Without more info there is no way to know. And since this site doesn't allow negative reviews of businesses, it is unlikely we will know all the details.

-Mike

There we go

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    To come up to Alaska and try to hunt all five animals that you mentioned would be an impossible task. Even for an experienced Alaskan hunter it would be nearly impossible in the time frame mentioned to take all of the game on your list. Even being successful on 1-2 species would be a successful hunt. I think your expectations were way too high.
    I agree completely with that. I am not saying the outfitter did not lie to him, but you have to use some common sense when buying into something like that. I know one guy that was able to harvest a caribou, grizz, and black bear all within 36 hrs, but that included some insane luck!!

I think the point is, is that he bought all those tags to cover his bases. Then if he saw something he would have the opportunity to shoot. We all have high hopes when going on a hunting trip. It sounds like he wasn't given good info, and possibly the weather didn't cooperate either, but he was willing to deal with the weather but his guide wasn't. It sucks to pay out big bucks and get nothing. Ya, we all know it's hunting, but when it comes to 12 days and a guided hunt, he should have been able to come away with at least 1 animal with a competent guide. That's just the way I interpret the story. Sorry you had a bad experience amozorro. I hope you come again and bag a nice animal.

Quote Originally Posted by goaty View Post
    I think the point is, is that he bought all those tags to cover his bases. Then if he saw something he would have the opportunity to shoot. We all have high hopes when going on a hunting trip. It sounds like he wasn't given good info, and possibly the weather didn't cooperate either, but he was willing to deal with the weather but his guide wasn't. It sucks to pay out big bucks and get nothing. Ya, we all know it's hunting, but when it comes to 12 days and a guided hunt, he should have been able to come away with at least 1 animal with a competent guide. That's just the way I interpret the story. Sorry you had a bad experience amozorro. I hope you come again and bag a nice animal.
    I agree. It sounds as though the OP is a reasonably intelligent, experienced hunter. Advising him that he should have known better misses the point. The point being that there are some slimy individuals out there calling themselves guides and outfitters, dispensing less than honest promotional material, who are giving Alaska a black eye. This is an issue that Alaska should be acting very aggressively to clean up. I think we fail miserably in that regard, and it does not serve us well.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I hunted for 5 years before I got lucky and shot a Brown, a Moose and a wolf in a week. I did see animals each time, fished each time and generally was happy just to be there. Same guide each trip. The first year was an eye opening trip not seeing very many animals, but who cares the experience was exceptional in my opinion.

Guides drive too much of the conversation and I can't see how it matters if there are "good" ones and "bad" ones. If this character is truly bad then even a little research would have revealed such. If it is legal for one person to fly you out somewhere to shoot an animal then it might as well be legal for the next guy to do it.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Sometimes the Best Hunter comes home with Nothing.

Get up and do it again is the only way I know to have success.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast