Thread: bunnies/birds

Default bunnies/birds

my friend mentioned wanting to start to do some hunting. live in anchorage but willing to drive to get into some animals. did some research and it sounds like south of girdwood towards hope is on the downturn for bunnies? any tips/general areas would be great. not asking for a sweet spot just general tips and areas. thanks
    hook, line, sinker, done.

snowshoues and a shout light shot gun with a open choke such as modified to bring up fast and open choke to not blow their heads off when you shoot them at your feet.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

"If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Go for a drive. Stop in the pullouts and look for tracks (watch out for private property). I like to find places that are a nice hike and bring a gun just in case. Rabbits like scrub willow and alder because it offers good cover. Wherever you find bunny trails, there are bunny's. Now the tricky part is spotting the little buggers. They like to hide when they hear you coming and even if they are out in the open, they hold still until you look the other way, and it is hard to tell them apart from the snow. I have shot several snow clumps that I was convinced were rabbit ears. I have found the best time for beginners to hunt rabbits is in the fall when the leaves have fallen and the rabbits are starting to turn color. They are easier to spot, and it seems like they are more active with the oncoming cold. This time of year can be hard to find them because with the snow covering the scrub, there are endless tunnels under the snow for them to hide in and escape through.

thanks for all the tips. hopefully well be able to get out soon and shoot some animals

I'm with arctic mayhem, when I started hunting rabbits it was right when the leaves were falling and the rabbits were starting to turn white, it was that year we didn't get snow till november, and they were pretty much all white. it made it a quick learn, A tip, when you see one in the fall, pay attention on the out line of the rabbit, hight of the eyes, what everything looks like and make a good menial picture, it makes them easier to spot in the winter if you know exacially what they look like in the distance, in the fall they are less skiddish it seems than in the winter.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Yes, look closely at the shape. Once your eyes know what to look for, it gets easier to spot them. They usually have such great cammo and hold so still that they blend in and the only way to spot them is by the shape of a body part sticking out of the brush. Today I shot a rabbit at 20 feet and all he was showing was his eye and the top half of his ears.

do you even know what a rabbit track looks like? someone post a picture up for him.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    do you even know what a rabbit track looks like? someone post a picture up for him.
    yeah i know what they look like. ive caught them before but that was out in the bush when i had a snowmachine to use. don't have one here so was wondering for some places i could go to. thanks

i go up to houston take few thousand rounds with me, and walk off into the woods and blast away.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticmayhem View Post
    Go for a drive. Stop in the pullouts and look for tracks (watch out for private property). I like to find places that are a nice hike and bring a gun just in case. Rabbits like scrub willow and alder because it offers good cover. Wherever you find bunny trails, there are bunny's. Now the tricky part is spotting the little buggers. They like to hide when they hear you coming and even if they are out in the open, they hold still until you look the other way, and it is hard to tell them apart from the snow. I have shot several snow clumps that I was convinced were rabbit ears. I have found the best time for beginners to hunt rabbits is in the fall when the leaves have fallen and the rabbits are starting to turn color. They are easier to spot, and it seems like they are more active with the oncoming cold. This time of year can be hard to find them because with the snow covering the scrub, there are endless tunnels under the snow for them to hide in and escape through.
    going to try this tomorrow. about the private property, is there any way that i would know besides the posted signs? don't want to get on someones land that doesn't want me there. thanks

Unless you see houses around, fences, or "no hunting/trespassing" signs, it is usually safe to assume that it is public land. Most of Alaska is public land except near populated areas. Even if you did accidentally stumble onto someones homestead, most people will just tell you where you should go to avoid private land. Then you can apologize and go somewhere else. Just don't get mad at me if you get shot at by some hillbilly defending his grow operation

well me and my buddy went. walked snowmachine trails and saw lots of sign but only 3 rabbits spotted and 1 shot. other two were seen running into very thick brush and out of sight. it was pretty cold though.

was thikning about hitting up the straight aways after before sterling to look around looks like some good country. is a majority of that open property? hows the bunny hunting there? thanks

I prefer to be in the brush right before dark than walking the show machine trails.