Thread: Anyone have issues with Archery shop in South Anchorage?

Default Anyone have issues with Archery shop in South Anchorage?

I was curious if anyone out there had run into any issues with the service they received in South Anchorage. I know I have seen a lot of positive posts about them. Wanted others to be aware that I recently had some work done and will NEVER be going back to this shop. I should have walked out when they made me pay before they even took the bow. I feel like they nickel and dimed me for their services and then wanted to charge me more to take a couple practice shots to make sure I was happy with the work they performed. When I finally took a shot, at another shop, I soon realized maybe there was a reason they didn't want me to shoot my bow at their shop. The sight was on backwards and wasn't even close to meeting my expectations which aren't that difficult to meet. Luckily another shop was willing to help me out at a much cheaper price with much friendlier service.

I've been in there a dozen times and have had great service from both the husband and wife owners. However, I haven't been in there since July, so maybe there's somebody new doing service? Just curious. You couldn't see the sight was backwards by just holding the bow?

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. I've been into the shop numerous times and have had great service and results. I had my older bow tuned by Dave and it shoots better than ever before. When I picked up the bow and asked about shooting on the range it was explained that they charge a flat rate daily fee. I told him I just wanted to shoot a few shots to make sure it was working well so he let me shoot at the short range that they use for lessons and bow demos.

It sounds like you have found a shop that you are happy with now. I wanted to speak up for the archery shop you mentioned just because of my excellent experiences.

thanks for sharing, tim

Sorry about your bad experience. I have had many bows tuned and bought several items from them and have never had a bad experience.

NE to AK: I am so sorry that you were upset with the service that you received in our store. Dave and I pride ourselves in giving great customer service and doing quality work on the bows that are brought to us. We have worked very hard to establish a good reputation in our community. I do wish that you would have given us the chance to correct anything that you were not happy with on your bow as we do take great pride in our work.
    We charge the customer up front for a tune and installation with an itemized list so that you know ahead of time exactly what will be done, what the charges will be - and there are no surprises when you come to pick up the bow. I understand that this might be a different approach, however, we feel that this is the most upfront and honest way to let the customer know what the final cost will be before they leave the bow with us. You had purchased your rest and d-loop online and brought them into the store to be put on the bow and tuned, those were the only items that we installed on your bow.
    Again, I am so sorry that you are upset with us or our store in any way. We are a locally owned shop and our customers mean the world to us. Joni

I have to say as well that Dave and Joni have done nothing but good things for my wife and I whenever we've gone into their shop. From opening up just over a year ago, they've built quite a loyal clientele and a large one at that. So I'd say they're doing something right.

I have always had good service at their store. Very friendly folks as well. And it does pay to support your local archery shop, especially a family friendly one (drink/smoke free).

NE to AK: If you are serious about bowhunting in Alaska, you may wish to buy a small portable bowpress and learn to do these type of installs/repairs at home. That way in the field when something goes wrong or breaks you are able to preform the repair yourself. May save a hunt from turning into an overly expensive camping trip.

I have been to that store several times including once having new parts installed and the bow tuned. I have had no complaints with them at all.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I gotta stick up for them too...Nothing but a first class operation...Knowledge, sales and SERVICE...thanks for the great job and keep it up..

I have been going to their shop for awhile now and very pleased with the service they have provided me and others while I have been in their shop. THe only other person I go to in Anchorage is Scott at Sportsman Wharehouse. He is also very knowledgable and will spend a ton of time with you. I am surprised by your expeirence but we all make mistakes from time to time, thats what makes us human. Give them another chance and if your not happy a second time then by all means go to where makes you happy. That is why I got to full curl even though I live in Eagle River.

This Family owned and operated shop is just the go to place for me and several of my friends, Joni and Dave are very good people and strive to serve and keep customers happy. All the times I have been in their shop I have never received services like you have expressed.
    I was not made to pay up front (yes they made an itemized list and what the charges would be), didn't feel nickle and dimed, and wasn't charged to test the work that was completed.
    From the way your post reads maybe just maybe archery is not quite your forte quite yet, by this I mean anyone who has been around archery for more than 3 arrow shots would knows that you don't need to draw you bow to figure out your sights are on backwards. If it was the peep it would be set by the techs close and then they work with you to get it right either up or down to fit you best. You would have to draw the bow to figure this out though.
    If you were dis-satisfied you should have given Dave or Joni the chance to correct the issues or better yet learn to do the stuff yourself, there are plenty of youtube videos explaining archery stuff. A good posters name to search on youtube is grttaxi. He has some awesome videos.
    Last edited by sniper3083006; 12-27-2011 at 20:06. Reason: Spelling corrections

NE to AK: Thanks for the posting up about them as it's a reminder that I need to stop by the store and buy some FOB's or other swag.

Hmmm... why didn't you bother to post up who you bought the bow from (unless you took the sight off and put it back on wrong)... but perhaps just easier to bash a local shop for perceived bad service on parts you bought from elsewhere. I've known other local stores (non-archery related) that would have refused to install items purchased elsewhere.

I've got nothing but good things go say about this shop. I won't buy archery supplies anywhere else.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow1 View Post
    NE to AK: If you are serious about bowhunting in Alaska, you may wish to buy a small portable bowpress and learn to do these type of installs/repairs at home. That way in the field when something goes wrong or breaks you are able to preform the repair yourself. May save a hunt from turning into an overly expensive camping trip.

So only in Alaska one should get portable press huh... Only Alaska I guess... I will tell my buddies in the lower 48 to sell thier bow presses cause well only in Ak you need them... Archery as a whole in Ak is a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    So only in Alaska one should get portable press huh... Only Alaska I guess... I will tell my buddies in the lower 48 to sell thier bow presses cause well only in Ak you need them... Archery as a whole in Ak is a joke!
    Whaaaaa???
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

What!! I will admit there are a lot of people out there that give archery a bad name but to make a blanket statement about archery in Alaska is completely ignorant. What experience do you have to make such a claim, me well I was a pro archer for years competing all over the country I ran several bow shops here and in the lower 48,I have guided archers from all over the country, Alaska has great archery and archers there are a lot of places far worse off then here!

As for Dave and Joni I think they do a tremendous job!!!!

I would rather not say how much I have dropped Full curl . When I was first getting started I went to their shop.. Even though they could havering me anything in the shop they encouraged me to shop around. I didn't originally buy my first bow from them. I try to support them with everything I buy especially now they carry Mathews great job Dave and Joni

Thanks for the helpful post! I just suggested this because hunting in Alaska is not as simple as walking out your back door to get into the whitetail stand. Learning to work on your own bow is also fun and allows you to better tune your equipment. But this is porbably something you know little about.

323, maybe you should stick to things you do know about. Such as riding around in your 6x6 and shooting extremely small bears with your shoulder cannon. You Sir are the joke in Alaska.