Thread: Predator hunting with these new air rifles.

Default Predator hunting with these new air rifles.

Has any one tried this? It seems fairly popular down south. I started doing some research on some of this rifles, and there are some very potent rifles out there!! I was looking at the fact some of theses rifles are quieter, maybe get more animals on one setup? Anyone out there trying this? Thoughts? Might give it a go if I find a rifle the I think will do the job... I don't like to be under gunned!

No way. You are undergunned in a lot of situations with a .22LR which was confirmed by a member this year.
    I might use one to dispatch a trapped animal discreetly if that is what we are talking about.
    Now hunting hare and grouse is a different story...
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

as tailwind said, the 22 is underpowered, but you can get all the way up to 45 caliber and they are legal for deer in michigan (or one of the M states) they are expensive, I'd check out other forums front he lower 48 and ask what air guns they use for deer and get one for fox and such things, They are getting pretty popular for 'chucks too.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

They are NOT quiet at all in my experience. I've got a .177 air rifle that shoots 1000+ fps and it's as loud as my .22-250.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    They are NOT quiet at all in my experience. I've got a .177 air rifle that shoots 1000+ fps and it's as loud as my .22-250.
    My pump 177 pellet gun at 650 ft/sec is as loud as my 22 on cold days. pretty crazy.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Thanks guys for the responses, still thinking of getting one for the fun of it, and to experiment with. Is there any .22 ammo that's worth trying out on fox, got a couple getting close to the house?

Whatever shoots well out of your particular gun. Mine likes Blazer 40gr solids but most recommend CCI Velocitors or Stingers.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

These air rifles go all the way to .50 cal and have taken both american bison and cape buffalo. They are pretty impressive one comapany is making a model that shoots 45-70 production bullets. It shoots three time per charge and is good for an 8 inch group out to 500 meters. Cost was right around $600 two years ago.

I imagine it would do the trick on a fox or coyote if you hit it with 405 grains of lead.

tb, my 17hmr has treated me very well.....just an idear! I also have a .177 and its not only loud as heck but really not very accurate. Fun to plink with, wish it was a better shooter it'd be a fun grouse round for my buddies kids.