Thread: cross dominant handgun setup problem

Default cross dominant handgun setup problem

I am right handed, but left eye dominant.

I have struggled for quite a while to tip my head onto my right shoulder and shoot left eyed.

I finally gave it up, moved my sights, and have been shooting right eyed and right handed.

It feels great. I am currently zero'd on 12oz soda cans at seven yards, still on the paper at point blank and 15 yards.

Is there a downside here? It seems like my point of impact is going to keep moving further and further to the left the farther I try to reach, but a couple inches at 25 yards on a close range bear defense revolver doesn't seem like a deal breaker.

What am I missing?

Boy, that sucks dude. Maybe a lazer site would work better for you, Never tried em myself, but just a thought maybe.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I am too. I just move my arm over. I have had people comment that it looks like I am shooting wrong somehow, but it works for me. I think if I were to take the time and learn, I could operate the pistols with my left hand. I am actually a little better shooting with my left, especially one-handed.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Me, same like Nitroman.

My right eye got bad, so I just shut it and shoot a handgun with my Left Eye. (Using my Right hand.)

No struggle, at all.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I am also like Nitroman and Smitty of the North. Was always right eye dominant until middle age started jacking with my near vision! Handgun sights at arms length are now too blurry for my right eye. Solution for me was to move my right arm over to line up the sights for my left eye and still use dominant right hand/arm. An added bonus of having to adapt to this cruel decline in eye sight is that I can rest my cheek onto my right bicep area to help steady my stance, head is tilted only slightly to the right and I seem to shoot about as good as I did with the right eye.

You ahould try and adjust your shooting stance at the range and see what you can do. From what I have read, this is not an uncommon problem and there are several top shooters who are cross eye dominant.

Don't move your head to the gun; move the gun to your head. This counts in all aspects of shooting. You can shoot cross style with pistol quite simply by realigning your arms to match your dominant eye.

Another mechanical aid to consider is a peep sight. They can do wonders for helping align things under less than perfect vision situations.

How do you shoot your long guns?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

have you tried shooting it lefty? I'm right handed and I do.

I was an early life right handed person and lost the use of my right eye. I shoot handguns right handed using my left eye. Just needed to adjust the sights a bit. I'd think you would be just fine as you are. Not sure what you mean about head and shoulder. I stand like I was in a "fighter" stance, head more or less in line with the sight alley, right hand firmly on the gun, and wrap the left hand around the right hand, squeeze the trigger. Repeat, Repeat, Repeat... Any perfect shots are due to great skill; for any misses I've got a long excuse list, none include using my left eye.

Edit: you might read the posts on "stance", lots of good information and ideas.

What JOAT said. Just move the gun a little left until the sights line up with your left eye and fire away. If you have to, you can wear shooting glasses with a patch on the right lens until you get used to it. just be sure to keep your head upright and move the gun instead of your head. It doesn't take long for it to become habit. No matter what eye you use, the bullet should hit where the sights are pointed and it shouldn't require any sight adjustment.

You might talk a grip maker. A little palm swell on the rear of the right grip might make the alignment seem more natural.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Please do not think I am simplifying things too much, but if you try to get used to shooting with both eyes open the dominant eye will simply take over. If you hold the gun two hands straight out and use both eyes the sights will align as same with the dominant eye. Othrwise as the others have said a peep will do wonders. For quick target alignment both eyes is best if you can get used to it (IMHO).

Same here,
    I am right handed and was shooting for years before I knew anything of eye dominance. I am left eye dominant but shoot right eye, or both eyes open for hand guns. Actually boot camp was the first I ever herd of this crazy eye business. Kept my mouth shut there because I did not want to risk BRMC scores by trying to re learn how to shoot a rifle. For me definitely the right decision.

I am wrong, and my eye is wrong, or I am holding the rifle wrong according to everything I have read since learning about eye dominance 15 years ago now. But, I have never had a problem shooting "E" since then either, so I must be doing something right.......eyed.