Thread: Help! I'm new!

Default Help! I'm new!

I have all the gear, I've read all the threads, I'm not catching fish. I have only been to Jewel Lake so far but my wife and I have spent 3 days there with no luck. I'm looking for trout and lake-locked silvers (for the fridge) and I have been using: Glow in the dark lead heads with white "Mister Twister" teenie tails, Rapel shad swimmers, all different color lead heads with rooster tails, all of the above with a salmon egg on the end (just in case). I've tried single eggs, power bait, and power bait with an egg, all different deapths. I even found a topo map of the lake and I have a couple dozen holes from the drop offs to the weed beds and the deepest part (apx 16 ft.). The common denominator has to be my method. At this point I'm not looking for trophies or posession limits I just want to get a fish on the ice! I stayed on Jewel Lake for the lack of restrictions like bait, hooks, ect. I heard somewhere you can't keep silvers from Finger Lake though I can't find that in the AK Sport Fishing Reg Summery. Not to say it dosen't exist I just haven't found it.

Please Help!

The problem is not you, it's your choice of lakes. Jewel Lake has not been stocked for a long time. Sand Lake has been producing well for everybody. Just use some micro jig heads with shrimp or real salmon eggs. Swedish pimples with eggs or shrimp works well also. We've caught fish from 7-25 feet, with 12 feet being the most consistent depth for both arctic char and rainbows.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Try dropping a cup of dry white rice down your hole. It will help any fish swimming over it to really stand out so you can adjust the depth of your lure to where the fish are.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Never thought of Rice, I always used big white lima beans. I agree with FishGod, it is definitely your choice of lakes. I would hit Sand or just about any of the valley lakes for better success rates. The gear selection isn't bad, I've caught 'Bows and Stockers on those, but the real ticket is a Nitro Egg and Cocktail Shrimp deadsticked in my opionion. Works just about everytime!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Thanks guys, I will hit Sand Lake tomorrow. I appreciate the response. Blue skies and tight lines!

I remember catching BIG rainbows out of Jewel Lake when I was 14 or so. We would use the fresh water clams they had in there. Those fish went BANANAS for those clams. Couldnt keep them off the hook. They had some brutes in there.

I hear beercan Lake isnt bad either. Have never fished it though

where you at? if you want you could come out to diamond and I might be able to snow ya around. I always catch something. Also USE CANADIAN NIGHT CRAWLERS!!!!THEY HANDS DOWN ARE-THE-BEST BAIT EVER! tip your hook with an egg and you will slam them, use 1/3 night crawler each time
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.