Thread: 7mm-08 Nosler M48 Speer 145gr Hungting load

Default 7mm-08 Nosler M48 Speer 145gr Hungting load

My M48 in 7mm-08 just shoots whatever I put in it. Nothing over an inch so far and I am going to move to a new hunting load for the rest of the season. I witnessed how the Accubond did but getting it over 2800fps with my level of accepted accuracy has not happened although you all saw how accurate the Accubond was in the mid 2780fps range.

So I decided to see how fast and accurate I could push a 145gr Speer SBT, keeping it under max. I used Nosler brass, RL-17, 145gr Speer SBT and 210 Fed primers and got and average velocity of 2834fps, extreme spread of 6 and a deviation of 3.74. Not shabby to get 2834fps with no pressure signs pushing a 145gr bullet out of a 7mm-08. I will use this load for the rest of the year and hope I get something to see just how this bullet does it's stuff and how it compares to the Accubond I used to take the three deer I have so far.

Here is the three shot group

Here is some field results from my friend concerning the 145gr Speer SBT which is interesting. (by the way, work up to his load, it is a max load in his rifle).

Mike, the 145 Speer BT is a perfect match for the 7mm08. I have been using it for many years and have taken ELK, Moose, and Deer at ranges that defy logic. My brother used it to take this sheep at 319 yards with a complete pass through. Also, a friend of mind used the 145gr SBT to take a moose at about 250 yards with a complete pass through about 30" of moose that yeilded 875# of meat.

I went to the range last Friday and tested some of the loads that were suggested and also tweaked my load with RL-17. I forgot my shooting bag and had to shoot today using a wadded up shirt and a little piece of styrofoam to support the butt of my stock but I finally got what I want with the 145gr Speer. The H4350 and Varget did not preform velocity wise at all to my satisfaction.

Here is a 10 shot group with two called flyers (the last two on the bottom right of the tail), the best I could do considering my rest.
    145gr Speer SBT, 47.1grs of RL-17 (near max for my gun, work up to this) Fed 210 primers and Nosler brass, and COAL of 2.770" moving on average for ten shots at 2917fps. Not the best group but I have what I want in my hunting load for this bullet. Little site adjustment and I have a 245 zero with it being -5" at 310yds.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice thread Beartooth. I have been around the block in terms of calibers and cartridges yet I've never really given the 7mm-08 any real serious thought until recently when I happened upon a little model 70 that I have become quite fond of.

I have loaded several different 140 grainers with Varget and IMR 4064 and though the groups are good the Chrony that I am using is coming up shy of published velocities. I WILL pick up some Reloader 17 and Speer 145's on my next trip to Brownells. This Chrony belongs to a friend and I think it needs to be sent in as it has been coming up short on everything, even some 243 loads that I have documented the data on previously are coming up quite a bit slower than they were a year ago.

Let us know how the Speer 145 SBT's perform after you kill something with them...I'd be interested in knowing!

Thanks EKC

Yes, I will report how it preforms on game. The barrel on my M48 TGR 7mm-08 is 24" so remember that when you compare to my chrony results.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

EKC:

I'm not shore whuch boolit the Speer SBT is. The BT, or the FB?

A very LONG time ago, I bagged a SMALL Caribou with Speer 145 grain SPs which are FB bullets from my 280 Rem. and the velocity was between 2600, and 2700 fps at the Muzzle. (Bullet #1629)

The range was close, within 100 yards. It nearly blew him apart, and the bullet was in the skin on the other side.

I went to 160 grain Speers (#1635) and Sierras, Same bullet, because of that.

I wouldn't know how the #1629s perform at longer ranges.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Speer doesn't use the hot-cor process on their softpoint boat tail (SBT) bullets and at that velocity, I wouldn't want anything to do with it, although I really do like Speer Bullets though. It would be fine for medium deer sized game, but not the bullet for me.

Have you thought of trying a different bonded ballistic tipped boat tail like the Swift Scirocco? Or maybe the tipped x-bullet? What about the Hornday Interbond?

140 grain Barnes tipped triple shock:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/896...free-box-of-50

139 grain Hornady Interbond:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/364...ail-box-of-100

150 grain Swift Scirroco:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/371...ail-box-of-100

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Speer doesn't use the hot-cor process on their softpoint boat tail (SBT) bullets and at that velocity, I wouldn't want anything to do with it, although I really do like Speer Bullets though. It would be fine for medium deer sized game, but not the bullet for me.
    What process do they use then?

My Speer Manual #12 seems to indicate they are Hot-Cor, although it doesn't say specifically.

And, I haven't found anything on the Speer Website to the contrary.

If they are regular Cup&Core bullets, which they may be, isn't Hot-Cor spose to be better at holding together?

It may be that the BT design doesn't lend itself to Hot-Cor ing. Shoot Far, I dunno.

I guess the Hot-Cors will soon be replaced with the Deep-Curls I loaded some 175 grain DCs in my 7 mag but haven't hunted with that bullet.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post

Have you thought of trying a different bonded ballistic tipped boat tail like the Swift Scirocco? Or maybe the tipped x-bullet? What about the Hornday Interbond?

140 grain Barnes tipped triple shock:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/896...free-box-of-50

139 grain Hornady Interbond:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/364...ail-box-of-100

150 grain Swift Scirroco:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/371...ail-box-of-100
    Well, if I had not gone with my friend on a hunt in Arizona I would not have believed a 140gr Sierra SBT out of a 7mm-08 would exit an elk but his did. I have had with my first 7mm-08 a 140gr SBT bullet exit long ways a 348 pound hog I hit walking straight for me in the chest and exit the back of the left ham. This is what I have witnessed with my eyes and the the sheep my friends brother killed with the 145gr Speer SBT along with him witnessing a moose hit with a 145gr Speer SBT bullet out of a 7mm-08 passing through 30" of moose is compelling evidence to say the least. On this forum you will see where a 13 year old boy using a 140gr Partition in a 7mm-08 dropped a 63" bull moose. The evidence is there and it is not what I feel it will do or what I think it should do, but empirical evidence to support the claims, that the 145gr Speer in a 7mm-08 will exit large animals and is a very effective killer.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Finished tweaking my load for my M48 TGR 7mm-08 145gr Speer SBT moving at 2954fps, and hear is a four shot group that measures .452" with called flier (the trigger dropped just as my heart beat carried the cross hairs just left of center). Yes, ready for the rest of the season.

LOOK OUT DEER - HERE I COME!!!!

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    On this forum you will see where a 13 year old boy using a 140gr Partition in a 7mm-08 dropped a 63" bull moose. The evidence is there and it is not what I feel it will do or what I think it should do, but empirical evidence to support the claims.
    That was my nephew Brayden. Brayden is 9 years old. The 140gr Partition was a complete pass through on that 63" bull. His 16 year old sister just got a 270Win for Christmas yesterday. I'm looking forward to tuning a load for her too.

My son is 6 and I plan on delivering a 7mm-08 to him in a few years, I like the cartridge quite a bit. I think the accuracy with the bullets available make the 7mm-08 a better choice than a .308Win. Recoil is much less and easily handled by children and ladies. The killing power is more than adequate with proper shot placement.

Bray 3.jpg