Thread: Alpine General Services grooming - info on web?

Default Alpine General Services grooming - info on web?

I heard a guy named Pat and his operation called Alpine General Services was grooming some sno-go trails north of Big Lake. Sorry if I got the guy's name or operation misnamed. Anyway - is there information about what trails he grooms, how to get to them or when he grooms on the web? Thanks.

AGS is responsible to groom the trails south of Big Lake. The Crooked Lake Trail (aka Cranford Trail), the southern portion of the Iron Dog leading to the Big Swamp and the leg of the Susitna Valley Winter Trail that leads to the Tripod on the Big Swamp are his to groom.
    Big Lake Trails grooms trails north of Big Lake. All of our trails can easily be accessed from Big Lake and are well marked from the North Shore Campground. More info on Big Lake Trails can be found at www.biglaketrails.org .

Thumbs up Good trails

Pat grooms trails that conneck to the Willow Trails.
    You never which trail he grooms when, but he is out there all the time.
    The stuff Big Lake trails can't do with their Snowcats.
    Also because that Little Su just won't freeze up!
    You will love his trails. There like Mine!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Quote Originally Posted by biglaketrails View Post
    AGS is responsible to groom the trails south of Big Lake. The Crooked Lake Trail (aka Cranford Trail), the southern portion of the Iron Dog leading to the Big Swamp and the leg of the Susitna Valley Winter Trail that leads to the Tripod on the Big Swamp are his to groom.
    Big Lake Trails grooms trails north of Big Lake. All of our trails can easily be accessed from Big Lake and are well marked from the North Shore Campground. More info on Big Lake Trails can be found at www.biglaketrails.org .
    1st this is not meant to be mean just informational.....rode from DLOA out the river down to the river gauging station up trail 11 to trail 8 over to Big Lake for lunch and a few merry Christmases....excellent trail conditions, only wish I had taken along my tree branch loapers as there is ALOT of small stuff hanging over the trail in some places. All passsable but alot of ducking taken place. On the way back we followed the SVWT trail/trail 6 and that needs help, deseperate need for grooming beyond, I believe it was the Little Sue or about 10 or 12 miles from the river is where it gets rough, (I know the ice conditions...if going that way that muddy spot in the snow was from a moose going thru the ice) also there is a big tree down across the trail, we pushed a go around thru but it's tight, also need the branch loapers as alot more ducking going on. I did move some of the real low hazards but didn't want to break anything off and leave a bunch of implament hazards along the tight trail.

Other then those little small details we had a great ride, put on about 110 easy miles and enjoyed a great day with my daughter making tracks in the fresh stuff.

Hello All, I am new at this communication thing but am learning and meeting new trail user daily. I am also Alpine General Services, AGS. I would like to answer or provide the trail information on grooming. I do roughly 50 to 70 mile of trails a week, two different trail routes to the Big Su. One is the Trail 11 and one is named the VOR trail via 6 from the Cat trail west. I start from Big Lake Super store or Yamaha via West Lake road. I groom the Town trails of Big Lake and the trail to North shore camp grounds. I groom by default because anyone else will do it. There is a trail I call the Interconnect leaving Butterfly Lake to the pipeline trail South crossing the VOR, Trail 6 and 11 etc. (Small old trails with sometime a lot of brush, but it keeps the traffic down on fresh groom when it's the only grooming). I also from time to time Groom up to Red Shirt Lake and out Steve's trails. I try to do what I can for everyone and what I think will last. All the miles I groom I only will get paid for 18 mile. I hope this helps everyone get better trails and access to there destination and or weekend of play.

Second on the informational thing, THANK YOU......... I'm doing everything I can to make trail 11 better it's been a shame this trail has be neglected for so long I enjoy this trail and meeting it users they been so appreciative of all the work. I can promise you this it will continue to improve. On trail 6 the only way to fix the neglected area like the section you have noted is continue to write emails and letter here and everywhere else. I have tried to address these issues with the State but it going on deaf ears right now.

Thanks enjoy the trails and be safe

Trail Nut thanks for logging in and responding. I do not ride the Big Lake area very often and only did so because of the fog hanging on the Yetena river that morning. Also gave us an excuse to visit some folks we have not seen in a while.

Trail 11 is in good shape, where it meets the road could use a few more signs to let folks know where to go if you do not make the run up trail 8 or cross Crooked Lake and run up over the hill to flat lake. I wish I lived closer but I think you guys would have to tell me to stop running the equipment. When I go back east I work with the Pulaski Ny club and have helped to run/recover their equipment when I am back that way....when needed I was running nightly between 8 and 12 hours.

May try and see if I can work a day in and take my branch trimmers to cut things back. It has been a long time since I have made that run over that way....never seen another sled. I don't have the ability to carry a chainsaw or shovel. By the way thanks for marking that one ditch real well.

Thanks for posting Trail Nut/AGS! I'll have to check out trail 11. Haven't been on that one for 20 years. Will bring a saw.

If you want some practice with this Internet thing ... feel free to post on this forum about trail conditions now and then for the trails that you groom. Many of us would be appreciative of your posts.

Thanks for grooming! You make the Valley a great place for winter travelers. Hope to see you on the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by Dinglishna View Post
    Thanks for posting Trail Nut/AGS! I'll have to check out trail 11. Haven't been on that one for 20 years. Will bring a saw.

If you want some practice with this Internet thing ... feel free to post on this forum about trail conditions now and then for the trails that you groom. Many of us would be appreciative of your posts.

Thanks for grooming! You make the Valley a great place for winter travelers. Hope to see you on the trail!
    Most of the stuff that needs to be cut back on Trail 11 can be done with a set of branch pruners, trail 6 is the one that needs a saw, a chainsaw. I wish the folks that were out there cutting firewood would take those trees that are down across the trail.

Thanks for helping out. Thats what makes the Big Lake area a great place to family ride as once folks get the information things get corrected.

Default Iron Dog - Trail 6

This tread would tend to give the impression to some people that Big Lake Trails is not fulfilling it's side of the agreement to groom area trails. Fact of the matter is, some SnoTrack funded organizations aren't grooming at all as yet. We began grooming in November. Until last week, were unable to get across the Little Su for safety and environmental reasons. When we did get across the river late last week, we had to harden a hill to establish a base there.

Clearing of downfall trees and grooming will be done on the Iron Dog west of the Little Su this week. The Iron Dog from Big Lake to the Little Su and the Houston Loop Trails have been maintained frequently since November and are excellent trails. For more information on the excellent work being done by this organization, please visit www.biglaketrails.org and visit us on the Facebook link provided there.

Unlike some, Big Lake Trails is a very positive organization with a professional attitude toward other groomers. You will not find us criticizing other folks who are making an effort to improve the quality of trails.

Please note, many of our Big Lake area trails do not have easements and are considered trespass trails. Big Lake Trails, Inc grooms those trails that we are permitted by DNR.

Quote Originally Posted by biglaketrails View Post
    This tread would tend to give the impression to some people that Big Lake Trails is not fulfilling it's side of the agreement to groom area trails. Fact of the matter is, some SnoTrack funded organizations aren't grooming at all as yet. We began grooming in November. Until last week, were unable to get across the Little Su for safety and environmental reasons. When we did get across the river late last week, we had to harden a hill to establish a base there.

Clearing of downfall trees and grooming will be done on the Iron Dog west of the Little Su this week. The Iron Dog from Big Lake to the Little Su and the Houston Loop Trails have been maintained frequently since November and are excellent trails. For more information on the excellent work being done by this organization, please visit www.biglaketrails.org and visit us on the Facebook link provided there.

Unlike some, Big Lake Trails is a very positive organization with a professional attitude toward other groomers. You will not find us criticizing other folks who are making an effort to improve the quality of trails.

Please note, many of our Big Lake area trails do not have easements and are considered trespass trails. Big Lake Trails, Inc grooms those trails that we are permitted by DNR.
    BLT PM those they are not fulfilling their groomer responsibilities. I am not afraid to go look for myself and then go to Sno Trac and get their grants revoked. I have gotten other clubs money and will push buttons to get it taken way if it's not being used properly. I take it personally when I pay monies to something and it's misused.

If I gave anyone the wrong impression about Big Lake Trails that was not my intention. My original purpose was to inform those that use that particular trail to haul freight or travel to the Big Su that they may want to reconsider until things get finished. Not bash any one club in particular.

There are many things that are better now, then they ever been in the past around Big Lake and their trail system.