View Poll Results: What is your Big Game hunt method for 2012?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unit 13 Tier I caribou

32 33.68%
  • Putting in for other Draw hunts

56 58.95%
  • Sticking with traditional Harvest tags

7 7.37%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you going Tier I or Draw/Harvest tags?

Default Are you going Tier I or Draw/Harvest tags?

I'm sure everyone has pretty much made their decision by now. Based on the more restrictive rules for the Unit 13 Tier I tag this year (you can't put in for any other draws and you can't hunt caribou or moose anywhere but Unit 13), I'm kinda curious if the trend is to go with the Tier I or to stick to the draws and harvest hunts.

It's a totally anonymous poll.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I'm sure everyone has pretty much made their decision by now. Based on the more restrictive rules for the Unit 13 Tier I tag this year (you can't put in for any other draws and you can't hunt caribou or moose anywhere but Unit 13), I'm kinda curious if the trend is to go with the Tier I or to stick to the draws and harvest hunts.

Just to clarify, these rules are not "more restrictive" this year. These are the same rules that were in effect for the Tier I caribou last year as well. I am interested as well to see how this program "settles out" after a year or three. Personally, I am going for draw permits and harvest tags since I want the opportunity to hunt some other areas available to me.

To clarify further... last year people had already put in for and won draw tags prior to the Tier I offering (wasn't it like March or something when they did the Tier I offering?). So, this year starts out with them rolling at the same time, thus you can either put in for the Tier I OR you can put in for Draws, but you can't put in for both. So, in a sense, while the rules are the same, it "feels" more restrictive as you have to choose between one or the other up front. See what I'm sayin?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I offered the "guaranteed" caribou tag option to my 12 y.o. daughter since she was unsuccessful on deer this fall. I told her the facts that the whole family would only have that one caribou tag and be able to only hunt moose in 13. She didn't like that option, so myself and all three kids put in for a bunch of other draws.

To clarify further... last year people had already put in for and won draw tags prior to the Tier I offering (wasn't it like March or something when they did the Tier I offering?). So, this year starts out with them rolling at the same time, thus you can either put in for the Tier I OR you can put in for Draws, but you can't put in for both. So, in a sense, while the rules are the same, it "feels" more restrictive as you have to choose between one or the other up front. See what I'm sayin?
    Last year, the applications were done at the same time, just like this year. What tags were applied for before the Tier I? I know that I made the choice back in December last year about which one to apply for. Both were open at the same time. What am I missing?

Was it the year before? What year is it now?

I was referring to the court case that got the whole Tier I thing tossed out and they had to open it up as a statewide registration.

Regardless of the dates, I'm still curious about the trend between luck of the Draws vs a guaranteed Registration.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Other draws for me, no way I would be satisfied with being restricted to unit 13 cariboou/moose. I like options, and I also like a "quality" hunting experience. From what I gather, the unit 13 tier 1 is a zoo, and more of a meat run than a hunt. I don't disagree with that at all, that is the purpose of it, it's just not for me.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I voted for draws but I always get every harvest tag available too. You always should have harvest tags available because you never know if you are going to draw or not.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Just because you put in for the Tier 1 does not mean you cannot put in for any other draw hunts. The guaranteed Tier 1 caribout tag only limits you to hunting for caribou and moose in Unit 13. You CANNOT put in for Tier 1 Caribou and Caribou draw tags for unit 13. But you CAN put in for the Tier 1 Caribou, AND any of the Resident Moose draw tags for Unit 13 (DM332, DM333, DM330, etc).

To give you an accurate timeline. 2010 season was the first Tier 1 Caribou tag available to any Alaska resident household. Application had to be in by Dec 31 along with all other draw/Tier II applications. This year is no different.

From what I gather, the unit 13 tier 1 is a zoo, and more of a meat run than a hunt. I don't disagree with that at all, that is the purpose of it, it's just not for me.
    It wasn't a zoo at all. In fact, it didn't seem any busier up there this year than it has been in the past. Lots of nice forum stories of folks having quality hunts during the Tier 1 season.

I went with the Tier I tag this year again. Makes sense as I apply for drawing permits for moose in that unit anyways. I'd easily give all that up for drawing a bison and sheep tag this year.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I didn't put in for the Tier I hunt because I'm guarenteed to get all four draw permits I applied for, with the possible exception of Delta Bison, for which I'm a shoe-in for 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    It wasn't a zoo at all. In fact, it didn't seem any busier up there this year than it has been in the past. Lots of nice forum stories of folks having quality hunts during the Tier 1 season.
    I can agree with this. The folks using ATVs on the main trail systems might have seen more users, but foot hunting off the Denali was pretty normal. Even the reopening in October was not crazy.

I am going to do it again. Get some folks into hunting. Explore some new-to-me spots. Have a great time.

i just cant make up my dern mind.....thing is, i already put in for 2 caribou draw tags and 2 draw cow moose tags.....but on the other hand i know i could tag a bull moose in unit 13, so cow tags wouldnt really be needed.....i just dont know

Release Lake Trout

Just going drawing. Can go get caribou every year elsewhere in the state and not be stuck with just the unit 13 moose permits to apply for.

Though I do appreciate the option to choose to take a for sure caribou tag if I wish. IMO this is the best system I have seen for the Nelchina herd in a long while.

Put in for theTier 1 for 2012, last year put in for the 3 of the drawing permits in Unit 13, figured I would get something with a lot of people going for the Tier 1 big fat zero, going guaranteed for 2012, also can not believe they are doing a cow moose hunt in UNIT 13

Both Tier 1 and draws.

The draw tags for me I like the option of running up the Haul road if I want too... Oh and everyone knows there are no moose in unit 13...

If I can just take what I need in my own yard I would move so I could do so.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    everyone knows there are no moose in unit 13
    LOL. I drive through southern 13 all the time (Chick to Valdez). It's the moosey-est area of Alaska from the road. Constantly see big bulls right along the highway... just never see them in August through September. Smart critters, they are.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast