Thread: (Kinda New Dad Needs Help)How Old Were You When You First Went Fishing?

Default (Kinda New Dad Needs Help)How Old Were You When You First Went Fishing?

The reason i ask is because my daughter just turned three,and one of my friends bought her an ice fishing rod .I am not from here so i don't know when it would be a good age to take her ice fishing, so i ask you guys.When should i start taking her out fishing?Thanks in advanced for the advice.

Most kids just like hanging out with dad. You probably won't get 30 minutes of fishing in but take her anyway. Just hang out with her and when she gets cold pack up and go grab a hot chocolate. There are certainly a million and one worse ways to spend a day!

Take them where the fishing is hot and like Lujon said, give them 30 min to an hour. If they catch a few fish they will soon realize after a few trips ice fishing is fun.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

My earliest recollection of icefishing was when I was about three or so. I vividly remember sitting next to a hole and pulling out a small bluegill while dad was checking another spot a long ways away. I don't remember anything else about the trip, but that 15 seconds has stuck with me for almost 50 years...and I'm glad. Just take her out and make the trip about her, she'll either like it or she wont.

I have two and a half twin boys and I took them ice fishing 2 weeks ago. They know how to reel so I just let the line out for them and they reel up. We didn't catch anything but they had fun as did I. Now they tell me every once and a while that they want to go fishing with me. They never said that before. I can't wait to take them out again and have them reel up their very own fish.

My three year old girl fished last winter with her six year old brother. She turns four in Jan. and is already talking about ice fishing this year...I take the kids out in the late winter/early spring, warmer sunnier days... The kids will want to run around and play besides fish. I use a popup ice-fishing tent and propane heat...get them out of the wind and keep them warm....bring a stove or thermos for warm drinks.....

I started fishing at the age of 4. On night time walleye trips. Both my daughter and son started at the age of 3. My daughter likes to go every once and a while but my boy who just turn 5 is addicted.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

I took my daughter at 3.5 - Started (down here in Oregon) with stocked lakes & trout farms. She got really into cleaning the fish so I let her clean them with a knife (hand over hand of course). Key is to make it fun and successful. Moved on to catching crayfish, digging clams - now she's hooked. Near Anchorage we fished Willow/Airstrip in Portage with worms and bobbers. I started putting lures and power bait worms in her stocking at 4. This summer its pinks! Fish or not, its good to get kids out and away from the tube!

I have taken all of my kids out fishing when they were babies, including my daughter. That being said, my wife and I have come up with a pretty good rule of thumb when it comes to ice fishing with the kids. We call it the 20 degree rule. If it is below 20 degrees, we don't go out ice fishing with the littlest kids. We have found that the kids tolerance for cold is dramatically decreased below 20 degrees. Now that my boys are a little older (my oldest boy is 9, my other boy is 6, and my daughter is 4), I occasionally take them out when it is a little bit colder and they do fine. But when we go as a family, the 20 degree rule still applies. Not that I think it is too dangerous to go, but crying babies is not that fun to deal with when you are trying to catch fish. When I have gone when it was below 20, we brought the ice shanty and fired up a propane heater for my wife and the little ones. It entertains them for a little while, because they can look down the holes and catch some fish inside the shanty, but after a couple of fish are caught, they want out of the shanty and it is just too cold for them. So, my recommendation to you is to go ahead and take her out. It will be good for her, but just use common sense when it comes to the weather and keep your expectations realistic about what she can and can't handle.

I would say she is old enough to go, just remember that if you take her, be there for her and not yourself. When shes done fishing so are you.

I would leave your slaying intentions at home and just be there for her. I took my daughters out when they where younger and would not even take a rod for myself if they were with me. That way I could avoid ignoring their needs and not get caught trying to unleash on the fish. As they got older and more self sufficiant then I could slay the fish with them.

Good luck.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I would say she is old enough to go, just remember that if you take her, be there for her and not yourself. When shes done fishing so are you.

I would leave your slaying intentions at home and just be there for her. I took my daughters out when they where younger and would not even take a rod for myself if they were with me. That way I could avoid ignoring their needs and not get caught trying to unleash on the fish. As they got older and more self sufficiant then I could slay the fish with them.

Good luck.
    Great Advice!

I remember taking my son out when he was about 3 yrs. We were going to catch up with my grandpa up on a lake up in the boonies. I took him to the local sporting goods store and let him pick out some stuff like a snoopy pole and some orange and blue powerbait. He caught the biggest fish not 6" in the water. It stripped the gears on ol snoopy pole so I he used mine for the rest of the day. Later I drove to the city about 2 hrs away and got him his own big boy pole. He still remembers he caught bigger fish than us old guys!
    Keep them kids warm and fed and your most the way there! Good luck and have fun!

One thing I remember clearly about one of my earliest fishing days with Dad was outfishing him. Can't tell you exactly how old I was, probably around 4-5.

You want to rig up a lasting memory... just take 'em to a hot spot like my Dad did and then set the kid fishing with the best outfit while you drop something that just ain't gonna catch fish. I'm not exactly sure that's what my Dad did, but I know that he caught nothing the whole day and I brought up at least two dozen. Fishing only 4 feet apart, what other explanation could it be? I do know that I had a blast and got to brag about it for years afterward.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!