Thread: Evacuation Insurance

Default Evacuation Insurance

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience positive or negative with medical evacuation insurance. My blue cross doesn't cover emergency evacuation. We took out a special policy for a trip to Tibet. The insurance carrier pays for picking you up in a ambulance plane or copter and transferring you to a hospital of your choice. It cost $150 for Tibet but I was quoted $50 for Alaska. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd ask around the cascade climbers forum
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

We use MedJet. They have been excellent. Never a question or problem.

Bighorn Hunter,

What circumstances did you use Medjet services? How were you transported from the field? A lot of people do not realize that services like Medjet DO NOT get you out of the field. They only pick you up after you are already at a hospital. You are still going to be responsible for arranging and whatever payments are necessary for a field medivac.

Not sure if the original poster was talking about field evac or transport after reaching their first hospital. If you are looking for immediate service directly from the field you might take a look at Global Rescue.

We had MedJet for Tibet but fortunately we didn't need it. My wife thought it would pick you up wherever you were located, but when I read the policy it sounded like they only took you from a local hospital to a hospital of your choice. That was OK because we were not traveling in remote areas. The hospital in Tibet was not capable of providing advanced medical care.

I want transportation from the bush to a local hospital and if I needed to be transferred to a different facility I would like that covered as well.

I have since called one company and the cost of their policy was around $50 for 3 weeks of coverage in Alaska. It sounded like you had to arrange your own transportation and they would either pay for it or reimburse you. The dollar coverage went up to $500,000. What concerns me is how financially reliable these companies are and how well do they service a claim.

Thanks for the posts.

AlAlaska,
    You are right, Medjet only transports after you arrive at a local hospital. Global Rescue offers more comprehensive packages with various options. For really remote international destinations, I think their 7 or 14 day plans are good insurance considering a field evac followed by an international medical transport could run $50-75K.

http://www.globalrescue.com

Default AIG

I got sportsmans traveler insurance from AIG on my trip to SW Alaska last month. We floated the Goodnews. It covered $3,000/person for lost/stolen luggage on airlines. It also included $500,000 for evacuation/medical expenses. It cost like $130/person and is based on the cost of the trip that they could have to reimburse. It covers plane tickets/motel/lodge etc... if your trip is cancelled for a covered reason. Well worth the price.

Any village will have a clinic staffed by health aides. These are the equivalent of a corpsman or medic. They will contact docs at nearest hospital about your condition, and if the doc thinks it necessary, you'll be medevac'ed, if not, then you'll have to wait until local transportation gets you to the hospital.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...