Thread: Anchortrax

Default Anchortrax

After constantly fighting with figuring out how to tie down my quads in the various configurations on the aluminum sled trailer I finally broke down and decided to install a cargo system. After a bunch of research I decided on an anchortrax system. I purchased one 6' kit and two 1' kits. The longer rails I am cutting down into smaller sections and mounting 25" sections at the front and back centered on each side. The leftover sections are being cut down and mounted up the center. The 1' kits are being installed on the outside rails.

I have 2 full size quads, 2 mini quads and a meat trailer that I pick and choose between depending on who is going and what we are doing. I am forever walking around the trailer trying to figure out how to strap stuff down. Now I can drop an anchors down pretty much wherever I need em! ~ $200 in parts which isn't bad considering I got the trailer for $750 and much cheaper vs losing a $8,000 quad off the darn thing at 65mph!!
    http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Carg...ax/AT3476.html

With all that weight on your trailer have you ever check it for cracks? The reason for the question is I seen several aluminum trailers with cracks in the frame.

Yes, while I had it in the shop I spent some time on a creeper under it checking for cracks or any other issues.

One piece of advice is to check them on a regular basis for galvanic corrosion especially where the bolts run thru and where you mount or have the the hooks. Best thing would be to not leave the hooks installed. The other thing would be to coat the backside of the rails, where they contact the wood bed, with some of that cheap roll on bed liner from the local auto parts store.

The chemicals used on our road systems will eat these things up and when wet the chemicals will go back to being caustic. Hopefully they are a coated set and not natural like some of the pictures I seen on that site.

The ones on the wood bed are coated, the ones I mounted on the aluminum side rails are the bare aluminum. We will see how she holds up. All hardware is stainless and I do plan to keep the the hooks in the cab when not in use.

I've got a handful of d-rings for that system you can have LuJon. Let me know sometime and we can figure out a way to get them to ya.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The ones on the wood bed are coated, the ones I mounted on the aluminum side rails are the bare aluminum. We will see how she holds up. All hardware is stainless and I do plan to keep the the hooks in the cab when not in use.
    Do a quick check on the stainless to ensure it is stainless......run a magnet over it. If it sticks replace it, if it doesn't good to go.

Good to here about the coated rails. I have just been replacing a few sets that are not very old......less then 5 years. Most of those were uncoated or the coating had come off pretty quick.

Are they anodized or powder coat, hopefully anodized.

Seem to be some sort of powder coat. I plan to redo the decking next summer some time and will be re-installing them then. I may hit up the bottom side with some of the sherwin willimas industrial paint or perhaps the DIY roll on truck liner stuff. The bolts seem to be legit stainless, at least they sure cut like it with the hack saw. I will do the ferrous magnet test when I get a chance.

AKmud, I would really appreciate that! I have 10 days off starting this weekend and would like to see that trailer you are working on if you get a chance. I would also like to pick your brain a bit on welders and shop set up if I get the chance. My shop should be finished up over this vacation so it will be time to start setting things up in short order.