Thread: Anyone Driving A Dillon XL-650?

Default Anyone Driving A Dillon XL-650?

Gonna buy one and wanted a heads up on things to watch out for.

Thanks.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Pretty fancy N-man...congratulations. I've worked my RL 550-B pretty well with 45ACP, 10mm and 223 with just a couple of hang-ups of the "operator error" type. I only use spherical powder, but you probably already know about that. Let us know how many rounds you can crank-out in an hour after you get it all set-up and de-bugged.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Gonna buy one and wanted a heads up on things to watch out for.
    I ran a 650 for several years. If you're making lots and lots of the same type of ammo, then a 650 with case feeder makes sense. I could easily crank out several thousand rounds of .45ACP ammo on a Saturday morning. If you're doing smaller runs of lots of different ammo and/or calibers, then a 550 is better way to go. The 550 is faster/simpler to change over.

A 650 without the case feeder is silly, by the way. Don't bother getting a 650 unless the case feeder is part of the package.

Yup, I was going to order the 650 with casefeeder, and complete changes for .40, .45ACP, .223, and .308 to start. Will also get the Mr. Bullet Feeder.

I will get a Ponsness-Warren auto-drive for it maybe this summer. I really wanted the rl-1050 but all set up for one cartridge would run +$2k, and nowhere near the versatility of the 650.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

The 1050 doesn't come with a lifetime warrantee, either....just a one-year.

Seems my enthusiasm got ahead of me. The 650 all trimmed out for .45ACP, .223, .308 with case feeder and bulletfeeder would be a kewl $1,643.45. This would include everything but the machine cover and a parts kit. All carbide dies. And 4 primer pickup tubes for each size of primer. I have two 6-foot lengths of aluminum tube I'll use to make what I need for additional primer tubes.

Note the cost of this complete set-up (complete toolheads for each cartridge ect.), is less than a 1050 without anything. And with the bullet feeder, it will make a shell as fast as I can pull the lever. I like that. But....maybe I should start with just the .45 set-up for now.

Yup, the price will get up there in a hurry and just might continue. Have you looked at the Hornady LnL? They had their start-up woos but the unit shipping today is an improved version sorta speak and will run with the XL650 at a lower price overall. Both are great progressives but for heavy duty volume of 45ACP the Dillon 1050 is the only game in town and unless you run it 24/7 you'll get a lifetime of use out of it.

I use to run the Starr, which the 1050 is just an improved version of, but got away from it years ago and I'm running the LnL now and it does what I need doing without any hitches.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Sterling over at Arctic Ammo and Reloading just set me up last week with the 650, with hands on instruction...It is a slick machine and although I have not mastered all the intricacies of the machine, the web searches and internet reading has lead me to believe that Dillion is the top of the line and will give you life time of service...

As a btw, I could not even get a letters only reloading company (RxxS) to answer their customer service phone line for a question on a different component...All the major brands look good but Customer service is what keeps bringing you back IMHO...Dillion is awesome and Arctic Ammo service has been exceptional..

one thing to note is that the 1050 removes primer crimps as you load, which saves a step if you use crimpped 5.56, 45, 7.62 etc...

you pays your money and makes your choices!

I thought about that option too, but in the end, the 650 will load more different shells than the 1050.