Thread: snowmachines on roadways

Default snowmachines on roadways

just curious as to what the laws are when riding sleds on the roads in faibanks? are they treated like atvs?

I moved into town not too long ago and i hear them running up the residential roads but only at night, coincedence or breaking the law. Im not looking to get anyone in trouble but if i get a sled i dont wanna break any laws myself. back east ATVs on the roads were a no-no and i have had my share of runins with the sheriff lol

In most palces it is not legal to run a ATV or a sled on the roadway, yes folks do it but it is not technically legal. Took me some getting used to as most bars and resturuants in Michigans UP have more sleds than cars in the parking lot this time of year.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Alaska ain't what it used to be. Hoards of new comers are so busy trying to make Alaska like the L48 they left behind that we are losing our identity. That and the ambulance chasers and do-gooders.

its not legal , but in Barrow its not even frowned upon.. The majority of snow machine runs are at night anyway there. Makes it very hard to sleep as it is almost constant (in browerville anyway). Im sure back roads would be "overlooked" if you were operating the machine at a safe speed in a safe manner. or at least you would get a warning first..maybe.. maybe not..lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishcrazy View Post
    just curious as to what the laws are when riding sleds on the roads in faibanks? are they treated like atvs?

I moved into town not too long ago and i hear them running up the residential roads but only at night, coincedence or breaking the law. Im not looking to get anyone in trouble but if i get a sled i dont wanna break any laws myself. back east ATVs on the roads were a no-no and i have had my share of runins with the sheriff lol
    Why are you asking here? This is the wrong place. You get busted so you tell the cop: well...I heard it was okay on this internet website!!
    I hope you get some good mileage out of that while in the slam.

Call the Squarebanks PD.

Legal here on city roads.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

This is the correct answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    its not legal
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Default Road riding

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    This is the correct answer:
    Here's the info for State road right of ways

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/stwdplng/.../AppendixC.pdf

The reason most small vehicles are banned from the roadway is because they lack certain items needed to be operated on such roadways. Need turn signals which I have not seen on too many sleds or 4-wheelers lately. Need a seat belt of some kind and proper insurance and need to be registered for use on a roadway. Not even close. That is why they can only be crossed at intersections, the most direct route across those same intersections.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    The reason most small vehicles are banned from the roadway is because they lack certain items needed to be operated on such roadways. Need turn signals which I have not seen on too many sleds or 4-wheelers lately. Need a seat belt of some kind and proper insurance and need to be registered for use on a roadway. Not even close. That is why they can only be crossed at intersections, the most direct route across those same intersections.
    True statement.

The specific reason they are now illegal on the streets of Fairbanks however (the law changed just a few years ago), is that rather than being used responsibly to commute from point A to point B, they were being used irresponsibly, and the resident voters got tired of innocent people getting injured and killed by idiots riding rocket sleds on the sidewalks and bike trails, and every other square inch of town, without respect for private property, etc.

Contrary to popular opinion that this sort of change is the result of people moving here from Outside, then passing laws similar to what they were accustomed to Outside, this was more a case of people moving here, buying snowmachines and operating them with flagrant disrespect for others, and with a complete lack of common sense. Folks got tired of it.

You can't fix stupid. But you can make it illegal.

True, "Alaska ain't like it used to be". You'll have that.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Ive got puled over twice for riding ATV's on the road, both in pt mack, here is how they went

Cop: how are you today?
    Me: Good...
    Cop: You CANNOT ride an tav or snow machine on a public roadway
    Me: I thought I was far enough off the road, I'm sorry
    Cop: You must be in the ditch, on a groomed trail, or of you crossing the road, you must do it at a 90 degree angle
    Me Ok, I didn't know that.
    that was about the extent of it

The next one. I have known him for a while, he came out when I found a 6 wheeler buried in a swamp. he was a nice guy.

I pass a cop on Pt Mack road.

Cop: Do you know your not supposed to ride on the road?
    Me: Yup....
    Cop: do you know all the laws?
    Me:yup
    Cop: do you know you can get a ticket for riding on the road?
    Me: yup
    Cop: why were you riding on the road?
    Me: Honestly, after last time I didn't think I'd get pulled over again....
    Cop: so you have been pulled over before for the same thing?
    Me: yup....
    Cop. well, I know you, so I'll not book ya for it, but don't do it again...

Then we preceded to talk about hunting...

the 3rd time, it was a close call, sometimes its better to be the "wrong guy"

I was at the gas station, fillin up the 4 wheeler at the gas station, and a cop pulls up behind me, does his thing on the radio, steps out with his hand on his pistol and says, Sir, I need to speak to you for a minute. I turned around(I just minded my own business and finished filling my wheeler while he was talking on the radio) and he said, 'Oh, I though you were a man we have been looking for for a while. Sorry bout that. I hadn't been riding on the road but I crossed the road at a 45 degree angle not a 90, so I figured I was gonna get a ticket. I haven't rode on the road sense. finally wised up
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Too funny, reps on the way!!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Contrary to popular opinion that this sort of change is the result of people moving here from Outside, then passing laws similar to what they were accustomed to Outside, this was more a case of people moving here, buying snowmachines and operating them with flagrant disrespect for others, and with a complete lack of common sense. Folks got tired of it.

You can't fix stupid. But you can make it illegal.

True, "Alaska ain't like it used to be". You'll have that.
    I'll have that AND the other 'Taiga. Just 'cause we don't agree doesn't mean I am wrong. People are dangerous with all kinds of vehicles, like the 148 drivers they busted for going over 100mph in city limits http://www.adn.com/2011/12/17/222313...ons-going.html "You can't fix stupid...", You'll have that.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I'll have that AND the other 'Taiga. Just 'cause we don't agree doesn't mean I am wrong. People are dangerous with all kinds of vehicles, like the 148 drivers they busted for going over 100mph in city limits http://www.adn.com/2011/12/17/222313...ons-going.html "You can't fix stupid...", You'll have that.
    I didn't mean to imply you, or anybody else was 'wrong'. The OP asked about the nature of the law regarding snowmachines in Fairbanks, and I tried to give some factual background. I regret that we can't ride machines around in town anymore, but I think it was a necessary change. There were simply too many idiots making it unsafe to walk down a sidewalk in town. Sad but true. The law didn't change because people moved here and suddenly decided they wanted Fairbanks to be like Seattle. The law changed because it was unsafe to walk around without fear of being killed or made a quadriplegic by some idiot hotdogging a snowmachine down the sidewalk at mach 5.
    #Resist

So instead all those idiots must have moved to the Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    So instead all those idiots must have moved to the Valley.
    Oh, if only that were true!
    #Resist

My teenage son has been an urban snowmachiner in Fairbanks for years and has never had a problem. Probably because he rides slowly on the ditches and bike paths, he wears an orange safety vest, and most of all dosen't ride like an dumb***** in town. There are plenty of places to open it up. He strapped an old pair of snowshoes to his sled, so he dosen't look like a hell raiser. He always waves to troopers and cops, they usually wave back. He knows it isn't legal, and rides accordingly. It's the buttheads running 80mph on the bike paths and highmarking through flower gardens that ruin it for the rest of us.

i have a few reasons for asking. Before moving here i lived in Valdez where sleds and atvs were used alongside the roads all the time and were commonplace in town. I figured as much that they were illegal for road use but it also depends on tolerance of law enforcement and of citizens. Obviously they were tolerated in Valdez but didnt know about here. thats something a cop wont tell you. I personally would not take absolute value of what i read on the net. Ignorance is no excuse for the law. I dont condone law breaking but i wont whistleblow on a minor infraction. Its sad when a few bad apples ruin the whole bunch.

well thanks for the info and the stories

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Why are you asking here? This is the wrong place. You get busted so you tell the cop: well...I heard it was okay on this internet website!!
    I hope you get some good mileage out of that while in the slam.

Call the Squarebanks PD.

Legal here on city roads.
    go back to 48

Quote Originally Posted by FrankieJames7 View Post
    go back to 48
    who was this addressed to?

who was this addressed to?
    nitroman.......