Thread: Hensoldt Wetzlar Binoculars

Default Hensoldt Wetzlar Binoculars

At a gun show today and picked up an older pair of Hensoldt Wetzlar binoculars. They are a military model in 8x30. The glass is amazingly clear. There is also some sort of bar/grid with numbers on it. I did a little research and they are a German made binocular, from what I can find made between 1959-1963. Zeiss took over Hensoldt in the 50's and the Hensoldt name was still put on the military binos. Does anybody have any experience with these older binoculars, or have any more information? I think it was a pretty good find. Thanks for any information.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Much of my family is German. My Grandparents had several different pairs of civilian models kicking around when I was a kid. I understand the military model are pretty good quality glass. There's lots of good collectors websites that specialize in this stuff and that's where I would look for info. The grid markings in the ocular are for range finding for artillery. Some models came with leather cases. In that instance, the range instructions were pasted inside the case lid. Regardless, you should be able to come up with instructions with a little digging.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I did a little more research on my binoculars. I got the production years right before. I also found several lists of military codes but the ones on my binos aren't on any of the lists, ????? Also looking at other pairs mine are missing the eyepiece and objective covers. Took a drive up into the mountains yesterday and did some glassing with them. For being 60 years old they have some really good glass in them.

If they are the same ones I picked up surplus ~10 years ago, they are outstanding binoculars for the money. As I recall I paid $200 from deutsche optic.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Hensoldt was (is?) a part of Zeiss and did a lot military work including sniper scopes. Quality is top notc has you expect from Zeiss.

I've got a great Hensoldt Wetzlar Diavari 1.5 -6X scope I've got to get on a rifle or my drilling someday. It has the rail mount so I'll need claw mounts and they are tough to come by in this country.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    If they are the same ones I picked up surplus ~10 years ago, they are outstanding binoculars for the money. As I recall I paid $200 from deutsche optic.
    I would agree, great binoculars for the money, and for being 50 plus years old. The glass is amazingly clear.