Thread: Kahtoola KTS Crampons ???

Question Kahtoola KTS Crampons ???

I posted this in the wrong forum (HIKING) but could not find a way to delete it in that forum...hopefully a moderator will remove the other post.

I am on my third year using these...winter and summer (rain/mud). I have noticed more and more often this year they are starting to slip off my heels. Today, going down hill they kept coming off. I finally just started carrying them in my hand as I desended. I got a good look at them and I think what has happened is that the center bar/plate, the one that has the adjustment holes for shoe length, has stretched and no longer fits. I was thinking that I could remove these bars and hammer the bent end back into place using a vice. It also looks like I need to add a hole to shorten them just a little to fit m shoes a little better...I am on the last hole.

Does anyone know if Kahtoola sells these bars? I guess I should contact AMS in Los anchorage to see if they have any suggestions...they sold them to me in the first place and I use to love them when they stayed on my feet. Any other recommendations to repair these are appreciated. I even thought about taking the heel bars off my 6 point crampons and place them on these...just an idea...I hate them slipping off when I am walking down hill.

Thanks for any advice!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Hiking post has been deleted.

I went over these crampons for a long time. There is a figure eight cross oover strap for the toe box and a seperate strap for the heel. It looks like I could take the strap from the right heel and connect it directly to the left front toe...Left heel to right toe. Has anyone tried this? All I would need is to add two connectors. I might give that a try.

I called and talked to the folks at Kahatoola in Arizona...very helpful. I am getting shorter bars to help tighten the crampons to my shoes. They told me this next year they are coming out with a whole new line of stuff. I look forward to seeing what they do.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Sir,, it you decide to try some different ones these from Hillsound are very good and they stay put better than any I have tried.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Sir,, it you decide to try some different ones these from Hillsound are very good and they stay put better than any I have tried.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Steve
    Those look like the ticket, thanks! I was thinking about getting MicroSpikes, but these look way better.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Sir,, it you decide to try some different ones these from Hillsound
    I have avoided ALL that have the rubber straps...but this one sure looks interesting as they have a strap over the foot. Thanks for the suggestion.

I would still like to "modify" these to make them work. I went to a local machine shop this week and had them punch a new hole in the adjustment bar on the sole. They now fit much tighter to my shoe. I still may try and have a dog harness shop redo the straps...