Thread: Know Who You Are Dealing With For Repair...

Default Know Who You Are Dealing With For Repair...

Howdy,

Most of you don't know but I currently work in corrections. Before this I worked two years as a supervisor in a half-way house. Now that this preamble is out of the way...

Couple weeks ago I take my 2007 Arctic Cat 570 fan-cooled Bearcat to a local Bush supermarket (a foreign owned chain), that sells snowmachines, outboards and four-wheelers, for a complete once-over. The mechanic is a former owner of a Cat shop, been wrenching for 30 years, and knows his stuff.

Guys shop is in a connected building, but access is through back doors that require one to go outside the main store, then come back in. At least this is what I know. I have never investigated if there is a connecting doorway.

So the guy goes through my machine with 5375 miles on it. He replaces a rear idler wheel, and a bearing in one of the bogies on the sliderails, and the battery. Looks like the battery got run-down then froze, exploding the case out the sides. This is all. Still on the original belt, and slides!!

Today I was installing a Holtzmann ATACC, had the airbox in the kitchen sink (it's dark outside), for some Dremeling to make the holes the right size for the tubing. Okay. As I finished vacuuming out the plastic chips and stuff. I heard something tinkling inside. I know I didn't drop anything down inside the box...sooooooo....hhhmmmm. For those unfamiliar with the Bearcat airbox, it is a box, within a box. It has a rather complicated form of airhorn, plastic, that clips into the main airbox. It is challenging to get it out let me tell you. Soo..I look down inside the box through this airhorn thingy, and to my astonishment, I see some change rolling around. I pulled the two components apart to find a quarter, nickle and three pennies. These were deliberately dropped down inside the box in hopes that they would be ingested by the motor. Lucky for me, the box is designed so the inlets to the carbs are almost four inches above the floor of the box.

There is NO WAY change could accidentally find its way inside there. To access the inside of the airbox, assuming you are looking into the engine compartment, you must push forward two plastic tabs to flip open the lid where you'll see the tooltray (this forms the top of the airbox). There, you will use a #15 Torx driver to remove three (3) screws holding the tooltray into the top of the airbox (these screws aren't visible until the top of the tooltray is flipped back). Once these three screws are removed, you can flip the tooltray forward exposing the inside of the airbox.

This is what someone would have had to do to get the change in there. No-one has worked on my machine but me, and this mechanic. So no-one had access to the machine except me and the mech.

Now the store has a gaggle of convicted felons and sex offenders that work there as stockers starting around 11p.m. to 0800 when they go back to the half-way house. So these cats had access to the machine via the shop. They know me from inside the slam, and the half-way house. They also know what kind of machine I drive as this is a small 'burg. I believe one of these critters was walking around the shop while my machine was there, seeing it completely apart for the tune up and once-over, casually dropped some change into the airbox thinking this would be a funny way to get me.

Will notify mechanic Monday morning to check any security tapes to see who did this. I sure hope we can see someone who did.

So the moral of the story: if you have bad blood with anyone working at a shop, better take your toy to a different shop.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Did you dust those coins for prints?
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Nope, but a good idea. I do have them sitting right over on the table.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Don't be a pansy about it, when you find the fellow (on your own time) rough him up, tie him in a chair and play the worst music video in the history of mankind. Play it over, and over and over:

Mainer in AK,
    After making the mistake of watching that abomination of a music video, I can only conclude that you must be one sadistic SOB!!!

Rick-roll the b@$#@&d!
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Rick-roll the b@$#@&d!
    I'm not sure you understand the meaning of rick-roll'd. The B****rd deserves much worse than that, or at least additional physical pain while listening to 'Friday Night'.

Rickroll-
    To post a misleading link with a subject that promises to be exciting or interesting, e.g. "World of Starcraft in-game footage!" or "Paris Hilton blows Busta Rhymes' dick" but actually turns out to be the video for Rick Astley's debut single, "Never Gonna Give You Up".

Mainer pretty much just rick-rolled us.

"When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Spoke to the mechanic. There are cameras everywhere in the shop since many snogo's stored there. They'll find out who it did this. If they would do it to me, they could drop coins in any intake, and that would cost a very great deal of money for the store.