Thread: Which 50 HP Outboard?

Default Which 50 HP Outboard?

If your intent was to purchase a new 50 HP outboard at the Sportsman's Show to drive a 16 ft ocean skiff, which one would you purchase, and why?

Smile Honda 50

If I needed a 50hp outboard I would get a honda 50hp, they are lite, sip fuel, and are very reliable. New they are rather spendy, but you can pick them up used and in good condition for less than $4000.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Ditto's on the Honda. When I considered using twins on my boat, the Honda 50 had the best balance of weight, fuel economy and a solid reputation for dependabilitiy. It's the only Honda that's light enough for me to consider btw.

I wouldnt purchase it there. Buy it from a dealer in Washington state and have it shipped up and still save $500 bucks.
    First choice would be the Mercury Opti max. If you wanted to stay 4 stroke I would choose Suzuki.
    Tennessee

Merc doesn't make a 50 optimax. Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, can't really go wrong, even a merc 4-stroke. George over at Anchorage Suzuki marine is a great guy to deal with.

I stand corrected. Merc does not sell a Opti 50 but they have a 50hp 2 stroke.
    Tennessee

I will check their website but I think they quit making two strokes in the smaller outboard ranges. They may have some left over but I think they quit making them a year or two ago. In my dad's retirement he went to work as a merc wrench and was at the factory when they made the last of the two storkes. Things may have changed but I think they were using all their "dirty engine credits" to keep the opti-max engines out there.

Yep, I just checked it out, no 2-strokes under 75hp (smallest optimax) all smaller outboards are now 4-strokes.

http://northamerica.mercurymarine.co...nes/outboards/

I am going by the brochure I just picked up at Sea Marita and they show a 150, 90, and a 50 hp 2 stroke. But they are not Opti's. But the point is mute as I would only consider or recommend the Opti from them.
    Who knows, sounds like either the brochure or there web site is out of date.
    Cheers
    Tennessee

The website is accurate, merc probably still has some 2-stokes in the warehouse. I agree with you, I would only get the optimax from them as far as 2-strokes go. I run yamaha's (3 4-stroke 50's and 1 2-stroke 90) and have done well with them. The Merc 4-stroke 50 efi is also a good motor.

Take a look at the T-50 Yamaha. It should have more lower end power than the rest & you can spin a larger prop on it to. Suzuki would be my # 2 choice.

Thumbs up Craiglist

I looked on Craiglist today for the first time. I don't know much about them, but if you're interested in a used motor. http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/300637747.html
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Yamaha 50hp 2-stroke. Mine's been a real workhorse with zero problems. Reliable and low-tech. That's exactly what I want in a motor.