Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice scratchers

Default Ice scratchers

I was just wondering when "you" acutually use ice scratchers if at all?

A must where I live. I have had them on every liquid machine I've owned: 1996 Ultra SPX, 1999 XCR-800, 2000 XCR-800. They'll keep you going when others have to stop.

Work best on very hard-packed to hard-packed trails. I tried them on the skis, didn't work well. Try to get them as far forward as possible on the slide-rails.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

We use ice scratchers for running the Denali Highway when it gets hard packed. You will overheat the liquid cooled machines, and as far as air cooled machines, without them you can burn your slide rails up if you don't keep some snow/ice going on them. Most of the time, the highway is not too bad, but if it's a long time between snows, it can be tough on the machine.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I had both ski and rail scratchers on my last sled and will be doing the same on any future machines. Does anyone know where to get or have a link to who makes the ones out of stiff cable? A few friends have new RMK pro's and the factory scratchers came apart on the first couple rides so the need new ones. I know the cable type are reverse friendly which is a huge bonus!

The cable ones are not as effective. Great when you forget they are down and back up but do not scratch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I had both ski and rail scratchers on my last sled and will be doing the same on any future machines. Does anyone know where to get or have a link to who makes the ones out of stiff cable? A few friends have new RMK pro's and the factory scratchers came apart on the first couple rides so the need new ones. I know the cable type are reverse friendly which is a huge bonus!
    Try Fish Creek Sales on the Palmer /Wasilla Hy. I think that they carry both types. Good Luck

AMD.Had them a few weeks ago.

I agree with Mod Elan, the cable kind don't seem to work quite as well as the other style. However, they seem to work well enough for me and I haven't broken them yet. I got tired of replacing a set at least once a season at $60 a pop. Backing up is just one way to break them. Loading the sleds on the trailer with them down is another.

I've seen the cable type in almost every dealer shop I've been in.

I've had good success with the cable type also. I installed the updated carbide tip this season for improved performance. This may sound simple, but make sure you have them mounted correctly (correct end attached to the skid and 45 degree angle pointed downward not towards the rear). You can also weld a washer onto the tip to get a larger scratcher surface for a cheap improvement.

Just got 2 pair for the wife and myself from www.powersportsuperstore.com for river running.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by MORSNO View Post
    I've had good success with the cable type also. I installed the updated carbide tip this season for improved performance. This may sound simple, but make sure you have them mounted correctly (correct end attached to the skid and 45 degree angle pointed downward not towards the rear). You can also weld a washer onto the tip to get a larger scratcher surface for a cheap improvement.
    Morsno, Do you have a picture with the washer welded on and the way you have them mounted??

MORSNO to verify your mounting instructions, the end with the 45* mounts to the rail with the 45* pointing down? Correct I hope as that is the way I mounted mine. I lost the instructions before I put them on. Thanks
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Morsno, Do you have a picture with the washer welded on and the way you have them mounted??
    I don't have a the picture (I saw it on SnoWest), but all you do is fit the washer over the tip of the scratcher and tilt it forward so it is at an angle like a plow blade and weld it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    MORSNO to verify your mounting instructions, the end with the 45* mounts to the rail with the 45* pointing down? Correct I hope as that is the way I mounted mine. I lost the instructions before I put them on. Thanks
    Yes, the 45* goes on the rail, the straight end gets the tip installed. Some guys think it goes the other way, but all they do is flop around because they don't have good downward pressure.

Default scratchers

All three shops in Big Lake have/had/can get skid mounted cable style.

Yes, the stiff wire spring steel ones work better...however they don't work at all after you back up once and bust them off. I can't remember why I'm standing in the garage, I'm not gonna remember that I have the scratchers down when I pop it into reverse...neither is my wife. She will not like bustin off $60.00 worth of parts and pieces off her machine. I don't want her to feel bad. A good day is defined as "No one got hurt...nothing got broke". So, all things considered, for us the cable styles are the way to go.

Yes they now offer singles. When mounting the scratcher on the left side of the rail one must squeeze the snot out it. The forces acting on the unit are coincidential with act of removal...you might be wondering why I know that! Might also explain why they offer singles. Loctite and two lock washers (one on each side of the rail) are in order to avoid return visits to the scratcher store.

Happy Trails this Christmas to all,

Natural Selection begins with you!

Another thing to add to Partychief360's installation suggestions is to use Nordlock anti-vibration washers. Fastenall in Mt View has them in stock. http://www.nord-lock.com/default.asp?url=2.16.37

could rivet some sheet metal to the in back of the skis on the tub to scratch up some ice.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    could rivet some sheet metal to the in back of the skis on the tub to scratch up some ice.
    I have seen a couple folks run a bolt through the back of the ski that stuck down just slightly less than the skeg so that it contacted hard pack but didn't hit the trailer floor. Haven't seen them in action but it sounded like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MORSNO View Post
    Another thing to add to Partychief360's installation suggestions is to use Nordlock anti-vibration washers. Fastenall in Mt View has them in stock. http://www.nord-lock.com/default.asp?url=2.16.37

That is exactly what I need for the new install on the new machine. I had (emphisis on HAD) some of those left over from a summer or two of driving datum points to refusal. We used those or ones similar to connect 1 meter sections of stainless rod or aluminium together as we beat them in the gnd. Excellant suggestionmanship!

Where is Fastenall located?

Tanks again MORSNO.

Merry Christmas
    Natural Selection begins with you!

Quote Originally Posted by partychief360 View Post
    Where is Fastenall located?
    They have a store on Commercial Drive in Mountain View. I was surprised, but they have Nord Lock washers in stock.

A star washer on the outside of the rail (between the rail and Slidekick) also helps keep them from moving.

Merry Christmas back at ya!

There is a Fastenall store in Wasilla. They are in the commerical Mall just as you start out on KGB rd. on the left at the very back of the lot. Their phone number is 373-2204. Good Lock and Merry Christmas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast