Thread: Hawk Vittles dehydrated meals

Default Hawk Vittles dehydrated meals

I posted this on another forum but thought I should share it here too.

If anybody hasn't had them yet these meals are a welcome break from MH. The single servings are pretty close in volume to MH double servings. I had the lasagna and the spicy sausage and it was like eating something from Olive Garden. Another thing I liked about them was that they have alot less sodium.
    Here's the link www.hawkvittles.com

Just wondering.....can you buy them locally here?

You gotta order them off the website but they ship them right away.

Wow, they are not cheap either, almost double the price of a mountain House !!!!.... maybe they can come up here for the Sportsmans show and we can all put our hands on them and maybe taste some examples. they look pretty good...

Actually theyre about the same price. The single servings are about the same size as a MH double serving.

Oh okay...thanks

Yuck! That's my expierence with multiple flavors. Sounds great and then you eat one! Never again

I should have worded that differently, I had two meals. One was lasagna and the other was a spicy sausage dish.

The place I get my MH from can't be beat. I like the MH. PM me if you want the info. Great people to deal with. Which makes them a screaming deal over the HV. Which may be great, but heard mixed reviews myself.

I don't really have anything against mountain house, but like anything else it gets monotonous after awhile. I think it'll be great to have something different to break things up.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    The place I get my MH from can't be beat. I like the MH. PM me if you want the info. Great people to deal with. Which makes them a screaming deal over the HV. Which may be great, but heard mixed reviews myself.

It is a local company, no shipping. Maybe a short drive is all.

I used HV, all year and really like them. Small company that takes paypal and ships in a flat rate box. I like both lasagnas, Cowboy pasta, spicy chicken, Hot Italian Sausage, and the Sweet Italian Sausage and pasta.

I like few MH as well, but the variety has been nice. One trick is to leave a little hot water in your JetBoil and add the meal in the bag back into the cup and let it soak for 20 minutes or so. Keeps it hot and it taste much better if allowed to rehydrate longer. This works well with WH as well.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    It is a local company, no shipping. Maybe a short drive is all.
    So are you talking about mountain house or another company? Feel free to let us know about another brand if that's the case. That's what this thread is about, having some options.

Quote Originally Posted by helidriver72 View Post
    So are you talking about mountain house or another company? Feel free to let us know about another brand if that's the case. That's what this thread is about, having some options.
    Just a dealer of Mountain House. Don't want to post a name though.

I was going to try a variety of them this Spring. Has anyone tried the "Backpackers Pantry" ones?.. Was thinking about giving it a try, they look more compact w/ the vacuum sealing and maybe a little lighter in weight.....not sure on taste.

I tried the "Backpackers Pantry" thai chicken, and the mashed taters and meat, nothing to write home about but edible. So far I like the MH the best, but I have not tried the Hawk Vittles.

Stid, I picked up a JetBoil this last spring, those things are amazing. How did I ever get by without one, it even has a coffee strainer.
    Last edited by 2dawgs; 12-24-2011 at 01:44. Reason: add info.

I added in a few BP's this year and many are awful. They either nail it or really blow it. The only one that comes to mind that really is good is Pad Tai.