Thread: Suggestions Needed????

Default Suggestions Needed????

Hi guys! I'm on the board of directors for our Alaska Chapter of Safari Club International. Our annual hunting expo and fundraiser is coming up February 24th & 25th, 2012. Aside from collecting donations I'm on the committee to get seminar topics lined up. I'm looking for feedback on ideas you guys feel would be well received. As of now we have Joe back again doing the bear skinning seminar which seems to be popular. Any other ideas for things you liked and would like to see again or things you haven't seen and would like to see? Thanks in advance for your input! And it's not too early to buy your tickets for Saturday night's auction/dinner as tickets always sell out! To purchase tickets go to http://www.aksafariclub.org/ and click on purchase event tickets. Thanks!

Brett

PS. Anyone interested in having a booth or in donating items, money, or services for auction at our fundraiser is welcome to contact me at 907-947-0983 cell.

Congratulations Brett and thanks for the reminder...it also prompted me to notice that my SCI membership has expired, so I'll take care of that as well.

Chuck

Fabulous! We're doing a membership drive, so new members (or at least to my understanding inactive for over 1 year) will be entered into a raffle for a rifle. So if you've been inactive for a year you're in for a rifle!

Brett

No, I was only late for a couple of months...I just renewed a moment ago. I'll get event tickets from your link on Monday after I speak with my hunting partner to see if he can also go with me. We're heading to Namibia for the first time next June!

Chuck

Brett .....Me and the wife should be there, as well as Chad and his wife, for the dinner/auction. Are you guys doing the "lightweight hunting seminar" again ?

let me know when you have the itinerary of events posted....

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    No, I was only late for a couple of months...I just renewed a moment ago. I'll get event tickets from your link on Monday after I speak with my hunting partner to see if he can also go with me. We're heading to Namibia for the first time next June!

Chuck
    Congratulations to you in advance!!! What's on your wish list? If you have questions with prep, about the area, about the outfitter, or anything else hit up the African Big Game forum on www.accuratereloading.com

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Brett .....Me and the wife should be there, as well as Chad and his wife, for the dinner/auction. Are you guys doing the "lightweight hunting seminar" again ?

let me know when you have the itinerary of events posted....
    Good deal. Make sure you get tickets early. It sells out quickly. I did the lightweight gear seminar last year with Tyler via Barney's Sports Chalet. It wasn't that well attended (due to lack of advertising I think), but was very well received by those who attended. This year I'm going to be likely too busy to do it myself since I'm on the board and will be helping out with........everything! That said we're looking into Sitka, Kuiu, or Barney's doing a gear seminar. It's in the works.

Any other seminar ideas guys and gals?

Brett

Any chance of talking to the area Bio's and seeing if they will talk? I cant remember the guy's name but he was the area moose bio and just spoe at the BoG meeting a couple weeks ago... Just an idea
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Yes, IO have suggestions and my Favorite Topics are;

"What caliber should I use in Alaska"

"What handgun can I carry that will stop a charging BrownBear with a near miss"

"How does Hydrostaic Shock kill and bleeding out the bullet holes dosent"

"Where to shoot at an animal"

"Where can I get a 10 foot Brown Bear when I come up for 'My Bear' "

"Is this Moose legal"

"recipies for Rut Caribou"

"Where can I hunt without leaving down town Anchorage"

"We shoot everything, if nobody sees us"

"How many back up Pistiols should I carry?"

"Are there Vampires in the Arctic Night, and what should I carry for self defense."

"What more could I possibly need than this .22 and a bag of rice on a nice summers outting?'

The list go's on and on and on but I dont wanna hog this thread.........PM me for more suggestions
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Congratulations to you in advance!!! What's on your wish list? If you have questions with prep, about the area, about the outfitter, or anything else hit up the African Big Game forum on www.accuratereloading.com

Brett
    Thanks for asking Brett...Gemsbok, Kudu, Black Wildebeast, and Zebra are my top focus...Impala, Blesbok, Red Hartebest and Waterbuck are back-ups.

My hunting partner and I did our homework when choosing an outfitter, starting at the convention in Reno last January, subscribing to the Hunting Report and reading archived reports by previous hunters, and checking references extensively. Our top priority was not hunting a high-fenced concession...no offense to those who do, it's just not how I roll. We're feeling real good about our choice.

Maybe a seminar choice would be traveling through customs. We aren't taking our own rifles (bummer) because we are flying British Airways through London (my wife and I used our cache of Alaska Air miles).

Chuck

pm sent .....
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Thank you for your response Milo. PM returned.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Thank you for your response Milo. PM returned.

Brett
    Sorry unread.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

you might try talking with mike and seeing if he has time in schedule to do a seminar are two. He has a lot of them in his bag of tricks and would be a great added asset to the night.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Good idea. Any special topics you would enjoy hearing?

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    you might try talking with mike and seeing if he has time in schedule to do a seminar are two. He has a lot of them in his bag of tricks and would be a great added asset to the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Sorry unread.
    Milo,

Ok I guess I'll play the "game". Since I don't know the man from anyone else what's your objection? I'd prefer that SCI put its best foot forward at all times. I would prefer that our speakers do as well. Please feel free to PM me or call me if you prefer. Again I know nothing about him. Thank you.

Brett

947-0983

Brett, I just happen to get into Anchorage on the 24th for a conference. Do I need to buy tickets for the stuff going on Friday or is it just for the banquet?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickeen View Post
    Brett, I just happen to get into Anchorage on the 24th for a conference. Do I need to buy tickets for the stuff going on Friday or is it just for the banquet?
    Friday is military appreciation night and open free to the public. There will be food available (for a fee) along with raffles and auctions I believe. Saturday is the buy your ticket ahead sitdown dinner. There will be more auction items and raffles available. Most of the higher end stuff goes Saturday. There will also be seminars available Friday afternoon and Saturday morning and early afternoon. Thanks!

Brett