Thread: 300AAC Blackout

Default 300AAC Blackout

Next year is going to be my 'dabble with ARs' year. Fired them many, many times but just never got round to buying one. Been looking at the new caliber craze of 300AAC Blackout. It is a standard 223 case that is cut down and re-sized to take 308 bullets, so standard AR bolt, lower etc, only thing that is different is the barrel. Gives you 30-30 ballistics (ish) out of an AR. Seems to be gaining popularity. Just really looking to guage anyones experience or opinion of this caliber. In terms of use, most likely just a fun gun, but may use for a bit of hunting now and again.

I have been fooling with it since it was called the 300 Whisper. Great round, very efficient and will approach but not reach the 6.8/Grendel/7.62x39/.30-30 ballistics with only a new barrel. I build AR's for fun and just a little bit of profit and that is all I have built in the last 6 months or so. The round is very accurate in a good quaity barrel, both with supersonic and subs. I think it is a 250 yd round with 110/115 gr supersonic stuff and a 100 yd gun with subs.

The 200+ gr bullets tumble pretty quickly leaving awful wounds and are really meant to be used against human targets by those who can. They will certainly kill well beyond 100 yds if you can dope the drop. And, of course, you should have a suppressor to go along with the subs. I have made some with Trail Boss that are pellet gun quiet. I have had bad luck with cast bullets but others have done pretty well with HC lead for subs.

I have not tried the cheap barrels that are on the market now but they may be just fine for what you want the gun to do for you.

Go for it!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I have been fooling with it since it was called the 300 Whisper.
    The Blackout and the Whisper are not the same round. They're similar, but not identical. I just didn't want anyone to try to chamber one in the other.

You're correct, that's what the specs say but I have three Whispers and they shoot the Blackout round just fine. Maybe I have loose chambers.

Just to be safe, don't put anything that is not supposed to be in your gun and fire it.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    You're correct, that's what the specs say but I have three Whispers and they shoot the Blackout round just fine. Maybe I have loose chambers.

Just to be safe, don't put anything that is not supposed to be in your gun and fire it.
    The other direction is where you'd likely encounter a problem, trying to put a Whisper in a Blackout chamber.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Have a suppressed bolt gun and shoot the 225 gr Hornady bullets at about 1050 fps.... Loads of fun and quiet.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

My new Yanke Hill Titanium suppressor just arrived, now I have to wait for the tax stamp to get here, I have been loading a lot of the 125 gr nozler ballistic tip for my super sonic, and will load 225 gr BTHP for my sub sonic, I have an olympic arms barrel, and DPMS lower. So far it is working as advertised.
    Last edited by Gerberman; 12-19-2011 at 20:26. Reason: word left out

Just a point of interest. If anyone with the BO is thinking of using the 100 gr half jacket bullet in the AR, they do not feed very well or at all in most guns with an M4 cut. The AR really needs a pointed bullet to function properly. The half jackets are great in the .30 Carbine.