Thread: Place's to shoot in Wasilla????

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Default Place's to shoot in Wasilla????

Where is everyone shooting in the valley. I am going to start working up some loads. I don't realy want to drive to birchwood. Working up load's requires a lot of trips to the range at least for me..
    Thank's

"place to shoot", and "where to shoot" ("...in the valley", or "...near Palmer", or "...near Wasilla", etc.), has to be the most common thread title used on AOD. At least that's what I found when I did a quick search. Just say'n.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    "place to shoot", and "where to shoot" ("...in the valley", or "...near Palmer", or "...near Wasilla", etc.), has to be the most common thread title used on AOD. At least that's what I found when I did a quick search. Just say'n.
    Ainít that the truth! Itís because there just arenít any, or at least any that people tell others about.

There is the Palmer indoor range for handguns and they have a little outdoor rifle range that they seldom acutely use (no range officer for it usually) but worth calling about.

Or the end of Maud road in the KRPUA but I donít know how the road would be now, I suspect real bad.

Anyplace is a long drive from Wasilla these days, or a shorter drive then sled ride. The shooting situation is acutely pitiful here in the Valley unless you are lucky enough to have a place of your own and gun friendly folks all around you like I have but I only have about 70 yards to my backstop from the safe angle.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yup. This time of year your pretty much stuck with one of the pay ranges. Every time you find a place where folks shoot it gets trashed and then closed. Unless you have a real serious 4x4, Muad road will get you stuck.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

what would it take to make a range I know several people who have lots of property here in the valley and are willing to help get it going..

Quote Originally Posted by matsuthunder View Post
    what would it take to make a range I know several people who have lots of property here in the valley and are willing to help get it going..
    $500,000 to start

Hard to beat Birchwood. I just came back from there a few minutes ago and it was great shooting today. What I did is mount a Lee Bench plate to my shooting table to take down there with me in nice weather to load test loads at the range and then go home and do the big batch once I have a recipe that works. Might wanna concider doing that till we get some ranges in the valley.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

If Palmer ain't too fur, far you call MVS at 746-4862

Actually, their hours are published on the website. http://www.mvsrange.com/

It's my understanding that the outdoor range is open during regular hours, but it seems like there's only one day when the Winter Hours, allow enough daylight this time of year, to use it. (Friday, Noon til Nine.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Hey GrizzlyH:
    Did you try those cast boolits in your 454?

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Hey GrizzlyH:
    Did you try those cast boolits in your 454?
    Yes I did. Loaded a dozen test rounds to try out before I settled on a recipe and they worked as well as my factory bear loads.
    I cast 300 gr gas checks with the Lee mould and tried out the 300 MK Alliant powder. Seems to be a good match up, but I think I'll do up a couple dozen more and test them before I start another large run. I really like how the 300 MK powder meters. Seems to be within 1/10 of a grain every load.

This is why we reload, cast boolits and such. It's much cheaper and you can make ammo that will work in your gun better than anything you can buy. Keep up the good work. Buck

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    This is why we reload, cast boolits and such. It's much cheaper and you can make ammo that will work in your gun better than anything you can buy. Keep up the good work. Buck
    Right on dude! I'm hooked for life.