Thread: Any Ruger Gunsite scout rifle owners out there?

Default Any Ruger Gunsite scout rifle owners out there?

Looking for some feedback on the Gunsite scout rifle. Anyone out there got one and how do you like it? Just checking to see who's got them locally and what they are going for too. I think that that's gonna be my next purchase, they just seem to be a handy and do all little carbine. Pretty scarce on Gunbroker and alot of vendors like Buds can't get em.
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

There is a couple threads covering this topic if you do a search

My son saw a pic of one in a magazine and HAD to have one. I bought him one for his birthday this past spring. It was smaller than I expected, about the size of a mini-14. I think it is a very solid, well built rifle. It is built by Ruger and they make very good stuff IMO. I thought the concept was a little odd, bolt action with an extended magazine but they now offer 3 and 5 round mags.

My son absolutely loves it and has put a lot of rounds through it. It is extremely accurate and he has had zero problems. I think I paid about $800 for it at Turners Sporting Goods. If you think they are hard to find now, you should have tried to find one when they had just been released. I happened to walk into Turners at the right time. None of my local shops had one and one dealer told me it would probably be a year before they were easy to find. A few days later I was driving by a Turners store which was about 60 miles from my house and decided to take a chance and stop and check with them. They had just received 6 of them that morning. I bought one and as I was leaving after doing the paperwork I heard a clerk tell somebody they had just sold out. I was surprised there was that much interest in that rifle. I would think they would be much easier to find by now though. Good luck, Im sure you will like it, very handy, very compact and it packs a good punch.

A couple of buddies of mine have them and I have fired them. They shoot well, but nothing outstanding 1-2MOA. They are a good handy carbine, but personally I think you can do a lot better for $900. When they first came out I liked the idea, but I have grown out of the fad, it seems an answer to a question no-one had. The big box mag is cumbersome for hunting/carrying and the flash hider is a bit overkill, although having a threaded barrel is nice. Personally for a light and short bolt gun I prefer the 77 compact or Frontier, less bits hanging off. If I were to spend $900 on a 308 with a big mag and flash hider it may as well be an AR10 variant as it has a bit more versatility.
    If you are desperate for one, my local outfitter (Macks, Kodiak) has one on the shelves and has for a good few months.

Attachment 55744 I use this m77 compact, I can carry it all day, 16" barrel, shorter stock, .308 Winchester, My hunting buddies all want to carry it.

Hard to get them (we get one a month or so) but a nice carbine at its price point. We already have one in for a rebarrel job I think though....338 Fed?

I love mine. It feels like a bolt-action M1A scout. Very accurate, too.

BTW, got to the Ammo Can. He has one in there brand new for $740. Best deal I've heard of.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    I love mine. It feels like a bolt-action M1A scout. Very accurate, too.

BTW, got to the Ammo Can. He has one in there brand new for $740. Best deal I've heard of.

And tell Lou we sell them for $729 and see if he will price match

But we aint got any

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    And tell Lou we sell them for $729 and see if he will price match

But we aint got any
    Ken ya do layaway for that rifle at that price????? Thanks for the 303 ammo, havin alot of fun with it...

Chimo's has a couple of them as of today.

That rifle has an interesting history. You can probably google it. It's worth the read. It's an interesting concept. My Savage Model 10 with it's 20" barrel serves that purpose nicely. Savages are ugly but they shoot (best100 yard group with mine was 5 shots 1/3" C to C). Something else to consider...

Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    Looking for some feedback on the Gunsite scout rifle. Anyone out there got one and how do you like it? Just checking to see who's got them locally and what they are going for too. I think that that's gonna be my next purchase, they just seem to be a handy and do all little carbine. Pretty scarce on Gunbroker and alot of vendors like Buds can't get em.
    I was in Mountian View Sports today and they had one on the counter. I didn't check the price as I don't like them, don't like the large mag actually. I have a sporterized Enfield Jungle Carbine .303 and it's mag holds ten but it hangs down about 2.5/3 inches. Why is the Ruger mag so big?
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

They are available all over town. I have seen them recently at Wild West Guns, Great Northern Guns, Sportsmans Warehouse, Three Bears and Fred Meyer. I have one, I really like the size and feel, but havent shot it yet. I like the trigger and sights too. The bolt seems a little sticky, nowhere near as smooth as my Tikka T3 or Browning A bolt. I still haven't decided if I will put an optic on it or not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Why is the Ruger mag so big?
    Because it's a single stack.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Ended up trading for one, my buddy had one for 5 months and kinda grew out of it. He needed a pistol and I needed a GSR, worked out perfect. Do they tend to like lighter bullets, 150's and 165's or the 180's?

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Because it's a single stack.
    I actually know that. My subtext was "Why did they make it a HONKING GREAT BIG SINGLE STACK MAG when military bolt rifles have had smaller mags for about 100 years."

If Ruger had made the GSR to accept M-14 mags or even FAL mags, I'd own one right now.

And yes, I know that the mags I mentioned are 20 rounders, not 10.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I actually know that. My subtext was "Why did they make it a HONKING GREAT BIG SINGLE STACK MAG when military bolt rifles have had smaller mags for about 100 years."

If Ruger had made the GSR to accept M-14 mags or even FAL mags, I'd own one right now.

And yes, I know that the mags I mentioned are 20 rounders, not 10.
    They used the AI mag that most precision .308 rifles use. The new Ruger Poly mags are reasonably affordable and the Alpha mag is a good "sorta double stack" option.

http://www.alphaindmfg.com./store/in...&product_id=51

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    They used the AI mag that most precision .308 rifles use. The new Ruger Poly mags are reasonably affordable and the Alpha mag is a good "sorta double stack" option.

http://www.alphaindmfg.com./store/in...&product_id=51
    Aw crap, now I have another gun on my want list.

At about an inch shorter the Alpha mags look alot less awkward, I hope the price on them comes down.

Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    Do they tend to like lighter bullets, 150's and 165's or the 180's?
    The only ammo I've shot from mine is the 168 grain PPV Match and mine LOVES it. I get consistent sub-MOA groups with that.