Thread: caution thin ice.

Default caution thin ice.

I was crusin today, just chillin for a while, getting away from it. and I got up to a lake where I was gonna turn around and as I was makin a wide loop, right about in the middle I hit a warm spring or something, and my back end dropped, well, I was goin maybe 10 or 15 and I gunned it and slowly pulled out, it took about 40,50 yards till I came back up again. thankfully after i fixed the ski i did a blithe tinkering and got it running to near the best it ever has in the time i've owned it,and there was almost no delay between when i hit the gas and it had power

be careful out there.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Always a good waning. I suspect that you hit overflow rather than broke through the ice. It tends to pool in the middle of lakes. Basically the heavy snow pushes down until the ice cracks then water flows on top of the ice (adding more weight) and causes the center of the lake to form a bowl. The snow still sits on top of that and it isn't uncommon for the top of the overflow pool to freeze making a sort of sandwich with a layer of water between two layers of ice. Plenty dangerous stuff to get into! Especially if you are any distance from shelter. Good idea to avoid crossing the middle of snow covered lakes with weather like we have had.

Even out here on the river system. It barely froze before heavy snowfall and then we have had warm weather and rain. Be careful out there!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Always a good waning. I suspect that you hit overflow rather than broke through the ice. It tends to pool in the middle of lakes. Basically the heavy snow pushes down until the ice cracks then water flows on top of the ice (adding more weight) and causes the center of the lake to form a bowl. The snow still sits on top of that and it isn't uncommon for the top of the overflow pool to freeze making a sort of sandwich with a layer of water between two layers of ice. Plenty dangerous stuff to get into! Especially if you are any distance from shelter. Good idea to avoid crossing the middle of snow covered lakes with weather like we have had.
    The back of my sled dropped probably 2 feet or more, and it would come up, then drop again like the ice just quite wouldn't hold it. It may have beed deep over flow, I didn't go back to see!
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

FFG... are you just hell-bent on getting yourself killed on that machine or what?

I'm gonna strongly recommend that you get 2 sensible riding buddies, one to lead and one to follow, and stick to the groomed trails for awhile.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Youth and natural selection. We all hope to not read about you some day. Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    FFG... are you just hell-bent on getting yourself killed on that machine or what?

I'm gonna strongly recommend that you get 2 sensible riding buddies, one to lead and one to follow, and stick to the groomed trails for awhile.
    I was on a groomed trail, I just made a big circle to turn around. Asfor the 2 buddys, I only have one with a sled and his is worse than mine (same sled, one year newer) but he lives 40 minutes away by snow machine and that wouldn't be very cost effective

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Youth and natural selection. We all hope to not read about you some day. Be careful.
    I wasn't tryna find a warm spring/overflow what ever it was. I was turning around, cause I didn't want to cross a big swamp that I saw a lot of over flow on.......

sucks for you warmer parts of the state, tanana already got down to -40

Quote Originally Posted by FrankieJames7 View Post
    sucks for you warmer parts of the state, tanana already got down to -40
    Here where I live we hit -30 but now its 30 above.

Harding lake out in Salcha has very uneven ice this year. Last weekend we did some scouting on the lake and drilled multiple holes in different areas trying to find some bottom structure with our Vexilar. The thickness of the ice varied from 16" to as low as 9".

More than likly just overflow you found. My experience with ice actually breaking is when it breaks,...it breaks! No getting away from it unless you are on a powerfull machine! (and not pulling a sled with 2 drums of gas). Usually you should try to avoid the middle of the lakes and rivers. I was out flying a couple days ago and there are still ALOT of open holes on the rivers! Im not very familier with the freezing habits of the big sue or yentna, but wow there are spots that are a hundred yards long and 20 ft wide that are wide open. Be carefull.