Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnum primers in the 45 ACP and other things

Default Magnum primers in the 45 ACP and other things

For one, I accidentally bought magnum primers for the 45, and i went to load one today to make sure I had everything (giving dad the reloader and all the components for the -06 and the 45) and I couldn't get a Magnum lire pistol primer to fit in the 45 hole. it was federal brass and I popped off a round right before I tried to load it.....Any thoughts for this? I know large rifle and magnum rifle primers are the same size, so I thought pistol would be the same too.

Also, I was looking at the reloading specs. and it had 45 ACP and 45 auto rimmed, but it referred to it as 45 auto. I always thought 45 auto was just what some folks called the ACP. What does this mean? I understand the 45 auto rimmed, obviously, has a rim, but it this what people refer to when they talk about the 45 auto? can you shoot 45 auto outta a 1911?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

The 45 ACP is a rimless cartridge designed by John Browning which head spaces on the case mouth and was designed to be fired in auto loaders like the 1911 style semi autos. The 45 Auto Rim is a rimed case designed by Remington Peter for the M1917 Revolver and head spaces on the rim of the case.

Both cartridges will normally use the standard Large Pistol primers unless the Federal 45 ACP case is one of several brands that are loaded with the NT/Non Toxic or Green Primers these cases will use small pistol primers. Magnum primer generally have a thicker cup material and may give some issues fitting into the primer pocket but not always. If you use magnum primers with standard prime load data always start with the starting load and work your way up watching for pressure signs. Magnum primes in many instances especially when loaded with Max. loads will cause overpressure problem.

The ammo is re manufactured by ultramax, the brass that I shot was federal, there are some other ones too, such as hornady and speer (I think). I didn't mean to get the magnum, that red really blends in. gonna get some regular large pistol and see what happens.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Cartridge names are interesting and can get into some real battles over what a certain round should be called. 45ACP is the official name or 45 Automatic Colt Pistol if you want to get real technical. 45Auto or 45 Automatic are just shortened names for the same thing. A large pistol magnum primer should fit in any case a large pistol primer will fit although the magnum primer will probably have thicker walls and a stronger priming charge. As someone else said, there are a few 45acp cases that use small pistol primers. The 45 Auto Rim is made for revolvers and will not fit in the 1911.

There is a slight difference in size between a rifle and pistol primer

There is a small difference in length of lg pistol and lg rifle primers with lg rifle being a bit longer. Small rifle and pistol primers are the same external dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    For one, I accidentally bought magnum primers for the 45, and i went to load one today to make sure I had everything (giving dad the reloader and all the components for the -06 and the 45) and I couldn't get a Magnum lire pistol primer to fit in the 45 hole. it was federal brass and I popped off a round right before I tried to load it.....Any thoughts for this? I know large rifle and magnum rifle primers are the same size, so I thought pistol would be the same too.

Also, I was looking at the reloading specs. and it had 45 ACP and 45 auto rimmed, but it referred to it as 45 auto. I always thought 45 auto was just what some folks called the ACP. What does this mean? I understand the 45 auto rimmed, obviously, has a rim, but it this what people refer to when they talk about the 45 auto? can you shoot 45 auto outta a 1911?
    Are we skirting the issue here? Does your 45 ACP brass have small primer pockets? Some do.
    Are the primers you bought large rifle or large pistol? You can't make loads in 45 ACP with LR primers. What do you mean you popped off a round??

Please save rifle primers for rifle cases.

Yes the 45 Auto and the 45 ACP are the same.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Are we skirting the issue here? Does your 45 ACP brass have small primer pockets? Some do.
    Are the primers you bought large rifle or large pistol? You can't make loads in 45 ACP with LR primers. What do you mean you popped off a round??

Please save rifle primers for rifle cases.

Yes the 45 Auto and the 45 ACP are the same.
    Sorry, this computer has automatic spell check and it messed up some worlds sometimes. the primers are magnum large pistol primers they almost fit, but not quite. as for "popping off a round" I shot a round for the brass about 5minutes before I tried to load it.

Just wondering here but is it possible that you have a military case that had a crimped in primer? It shouldn't be a problem in a reloaded case but if there is still some crimp remaining it could cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Just wondering here but is it possible that you have a military case that had a crimped in primer? It shouldn't be a problem in a reloaded case but if there is still some crimp remaining it could cause problems.
    Not a clue, the brass is federal, it was remanufactured by ultramax. lead bullets. I would doubt its military

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Wan Mohr clarification, Please:

Are the Primers in question Too Large in DIAMETER? Or What?

Bye the Bye, "Crimped In" Primers are easy to spot.

There is a ring around them, that overflows into the primer pocket, that holds them in there.

Or 2 or 3 places whar the case around the primer is Peened over towards the Primer.

This could be only the SECOND time I've heard of primers that were too large in diameter for the pocket. Maybe, I don't get around much, though.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Wan Mohr clarification, Please:

Are the Primers in question Too Large in DIAMETER? Or What?

Bye the Bye, "Crimped In" Primers are easy to spot.

There is a ring around them, that overflows into the primer pocket, that holds them in there.

Or 2 or 3 places whar the case around the primer is Peened over towards the Primer.

This could be only the SECOND time I've heard of primers that were too large in diameter for the pocket. Maybe, I don't get around much, though.

Smitty of the North
    From my speculations the primer (I tried a couple of them) is to big in diameter, I was tryna tap it in and after a few somewhat hard poundings (after softers ones that work the for -06) I took the brass off the little dohickey that holds the primer in place and the one side was smashed, I made sure everything was straight and everything.I held one up the the hole that it would go in and the primer was to big

What kind of reloading setup are you using? This sounds like an alignment problem.

a "lee classic loader" i have one for the -06 and its great

Sounds like you have a 45ACP case that had a small pistol primer to start with - that LP primer is not going to fit - period. Look at the primer in one of the unfired cases you have and compare it to the LP primer you purchased - I'm betting you'll see the reason.

Makes it a PITA separating the brass if you’re using a progressive reloader.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    From my speculations the primer (I tried a couple of them) is to big in diameter, I was tryna tap it in and after a few somewhat hard poundings (after softers ones that work the for -06) I took the brass off the little dohickey that holds the primer in place and the one side was smashed, I made sure everything was straight and everything.I held one up the the hole that it would go in and the primer was to big
    This has got me STUMPED.

I'm just SPECULATIN here, BUT are the tops of the Primer Pockets, rounded like they should be?

I've HEARD of having to use a Chamfer tool, (the kind used for chamfering case necks) to flare the PPs a bit so they will start easier.

I THINK, that Federal Primers are Softer, if that helps.

I suggest you determine, whether, the problem is the PRIMERS, the BRASS, or the PRIMER SEATING TOOL, and go from there.

I'd like to see, BrownBear, weigh in on this, or Murphy, Again.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I suggest you determine, whether, the problem is the PRIMERS, the BRASS, or the PRIMER SEATING TOOL, and go from there.

I'd like to see, BrownBear, weigh in on this, or Murphy, Again.
    I think you covered the ground right there. Without knowing the answers to those questions, it's all speculation.

BTW- I'm not sure they make it any more, but long ago I bought a primer pocket swage set from RCBS for removing the crimps from primer pockets. Works like a charm, and is so reliable it's unbelievable. I'm out of touch and not sure how common swaged pockets are these days, but anyone with a bunch on hand would be well advised to track down the RCBS swage. And no, mine is not up for grabs!

I just dug around on the RCBS site, and there's this with no pictures. Might be the same thing and might not.

Try putting one in upside down and see if it goes. If that won't go, you have some 45acp cases with small pistol primers. If the mag primer will go in upside down, you have a problem with alignment or pocket edges that need deburred. Or better yet, bring your setup to me and I can tell you what's going on. I live in Peters Creek. PM me if interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast