Thread: Outfitter for Fall Brown Bears on the Pen

Default Outfitter for Fall Brown Bears on the Pen

As a newbie, I just want to start by saying that this is an impressive website with a lot of good info.

I have been doing research for a fall brown bear hunt on the Peninsula. A big bear of 9.5 feet or better is desired.
    I have talked to the Pen biologist, looked over B&C records and done some other misc research. 9E and 9D look to be the top choices unit-wise. Some of the outfitters whoes names keep popping up are Tracy Vrem, Rod Schuh and Joe Klutsch. I also see that Henry Tiffany has brown bear hunts in 9E but I haven't heard much on his bear hunts just his sheep hunts.

I would appreciate any info regarding these outfitters, or others for that matter. If you'd rather pm, versus posting on a public forum, feel free to go that route.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Rich/Richard Guthrie- Cold Bay
    AAA Alaskan Outfitters- Brent Jones- Pilot Pt
    Mel Gillis- Port Moller
    Aleutian Island Guide Svc- Tim Booch- boat based
    Deltana- Ralph Miller- Sand Pt (forum sponsor)
    Litzen Guide Svc- Sand Pt
    Klutsch- King Salmon
    Canoe Bay Outfitters- Sand Pt
    R&R- Cold Bay
    ....'bout 50 other good uns for finding 9 1/2 footers....

Thanks for the info. In a nutshell, I am looking for an outfitter that has a track record of killing large bears on a regular basis. To make the list smaller, let's say a 10 foot bear instead of a 9.5 footer.

Season is not open till Fall 2013, just in case ya didn't know. Spring 2012 will be open. Good luck, awesome hunt in fall. Spring hunt is tempting me for next time.

Dave Leonard of Mountain Monarchs of Alaska, Killed my sheep with him, Great outfitter, Has a BBear camp down by Cold Bay. BIG BEARS!! When I can afford to do it, it will be with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose62 View Post
    Thanks for the info. In a nutshell, I am looking for an outfitter that has a track record of killing large bears on a regular basis. To make the list smaller, let's say a 10 foot bear instead of a 9.5 footer.
    I would guess that an guides "track record" is dependent upon the clients goal. Clients willing to shoot less than 9 foot bears would give a guide a smaller "track record" than clients that will only accept the largest bears. I would also venture that a guide with a track record of shooting 9-10 foot bears has a lower overall success rate. The big bears are not exactly hiding under every bush.

it could also be surmised that a guide shooting most of his large bears, i. e. his "track record" could have a lower number of large bears in his area.

There are big bears all over the Peninsula. Pick a reputable guide and come ready to HUNT.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

phil shoemaker of grizzly skins of alaska takes some really nice bears and if i'm not mistaken runs a bit smaller and more personal outfit he has an exclusive area and pushed for big bears rather than just bears. i think he'd be worth a chit chat at least.
    10 foot bear...figure 1 outa every 15 or so killed will be a true 10 footer...some others who've guided the pen can also chime in on that estimate.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I would have to agree with just about all the good info given so far. Also some good names suggested. I've been guiding down at HooDoo lake the last few springs. We only take two hunters every other spring. Look for someone that takes limited clients and check out his track record the past few years and talk to every one of his hunters. My last two bears were both over 10 foot. If you've seen the episode of Alaska State Troopers that shows the 10'6" bear, that was my last client. I can't give you much advice for fall bears other then I do believe that the weather is a bit better (which isn't saying much) in the spring then the fall. Overall, the bears on the Peninsula aren't rubbed as bad as on Kodiak.

Thanks for the info guys.

Fall hunts on the peninsula are a experience in horrific weather. Very short hunting hours, and long, long, long nights and several tent bound days caused by vile weather. Bring a good book. No, bring two good books. The secret to harvesting a 9 1/2 to 10 foot bear is don't shoot a bear under 9 feet 5 3/4 inches, which gets real hard when you have spent $16,000.-- plus airline tickets & your down to two days left on your dream hunt.

Been there in September for an 11 day drop camp for moose and it rained 9. No doubt it is even worse in October.

Deltana Outfitters (Ralph Miller www.deltana.com) consistantly kills big bears and has a high success rate.