Thread: 458 X 2''

Default 458 X 2''

Anyone have any information of this caliber....458 X 2"......???

I am looking for reloading info. I am looking at rebarreling a rifle to this caliber....

Thanks/jebb45

Default 458x2"

What action do you plan on using? Also, I'm curious of why you would go for the wildcat, instead of the 450 Marlin?

My Ruger 77 MKII stainless is almost finished. I had it rebarreled in the 450 Marlin. Dies and brass are available reasonably priced.

I think I remember that Ken Waters tested the 458x2". I'll take a look this evening at my book.

KB

I would go with the 450 marlin took, easy brass, factory ammo, and almost identicle.

I used to have an 1930s vintage DWM M-98 Mauser chambered for the 458 American also known as the 458 x 2 inch.
    It is just a cut 458 Winchester case that works in a shorter action. It was developed by Frank Barnes of Santa Fe New Mexico.

I was shooting 350 grain slugs at what was supposedly 2300 FPS using 50 grains of IMR 3031. I also loaded 48 grains of 3031 for a 405 grain slug which was supposedly going around 2100 fps. It recoiled less than the full bore 458 Win Mag I later owned and was about like a hot 45-70 load fired from a Saimese Mauser. (which was all the rage up here back in the early 1970s)

The 450 Marlin is a ballistic copy. They moved the magnum belt on the
    Marlin to make the lawyers happy. Because with the old 458 x 2 it was possible to chamber the cartridge into another chamber that might have a shoulder and neck somplace up along the way to the barrel. So the odd belt position on the Marlin will not let you do that.
    All of us life long shooters are assumed to be idiots by the lawyers who are just waiting to become judges and later politicans. That actually explains a lot...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Float Plane hit the nail on the head and the loads are good. Cartridges of the world has the laoding data for both and I use IMR 3031 for both.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    (sic)
    The 450 Marlin is a ballistic copy. They moved the magnum belt on the
    Marlin to make the lawyers happy. Because with the old 458 x 2 it was possible to chamber the cartridge into another chamber that might have a shoulder and neck somplace up along the way to the barrel. So the odd belt position on the Marlin will not let you do that.
    All of us life long shooters are assumed to be idiots by the lawyers who are just waiting to become judges and later politicans. That actually explains a lot...
    I believe it would chamber in most of the std and full length mags, ie 264 win mag, 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag, 338 win mag, et al.

From what I occansionally see at the range, there really are people stupid enough to chamber a 458X2" in say a 7mag and squeze the trigger

Been said enough here but go with the 450 Marlin.
    Better yet go with a 458 Win Mag.

From what I occansionally see at the range, there really are people stupid enough to chamber a 458X2" in say a 7mag and squeze the trigger
    Just God's way of culling the herd..

Default Action

I believe the 458x2" is capable of using a short rifle action with a magnum bolt face(.532). Making it a candidate for a lightweight bolt action power generator . Kind of like a .350 REM. MAG on steroids. A laminated stock would be recommended as the recoil might be hard on a standard stock.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Hey Guys !!!

Thanks for all the info, I wanted to build a cast boolit shooter on the 45 caliber. I have a 700 Adl in 7mag and was looking to go bigger. Recoil has never been a problem. I will be using a 700 ADL mag action so that is not a problem (7MAG).

Hey Guys !!!

Thanks for all the info, I wanted to build a cast boolit shooter on the 45 caliber. I have a 700 Adl in 7mag and was looking to go bigger. Recoil has never been a problem.

Then why mess around with a 458x2, just step up to the real deal, the 7mm length action is already set for the 458 win mag with minimal tweaking.

Default 450

I rebarreled a Ruger 77 MKII short action, stainless to 450 Marlin. The rifle left the factory as a 350 Rem Mag, so the bolt face, feed rails, follower, etc. need no modification. The feed ramp has to be opened up a little to feed the blunt nose bullets. There is plenty of length to the magazine to hold the 450 ammo, even with pointy bullets seated out a little.

My recommendation is to use a short action. Remington made some for the 6.5 Mag, which needs to be removed from the gene pool anyway. I think the actions for the WSM, and the Remington short ultra mags will work. Any action for the 350 Rem mag is good.

If you are going to use a standard length action, you would be better chambering in 458 Win Mag, 18" or 20" twist, and just using mild loads. If you really want to use the standard length ADL action with the 450, you could load the magazine by stacking the rounds toward the front, because that's where they will all be after your first shot anyway. Or you could have the gunsmith put some kind of plug in the back of the magazine.

Anyway, good luck on your project.

Default 458 Win Mag Or 450 Marlin

Unless you already have a barrel in 458x2" get your barrel chambered in 458 win mag. You can shoot both ammo 458 WM and 458x2"

Midway USA has good prices on barrels in 45 cal.

The 450 Marlin on a bolt rifle is a great combo I've got a Ruger M77MkII that I removed a 300 WM barrel and mounted a 21" barrel chambered in 450 Marlin.
    I had an old Mauser that had a 458x2" barrel on it. I had it rechambered for 458 WM (then sold it later on down the road...It was a nice rifle.

The real issue is unless you make your own brass and handload yourself 458x2" supplies are spendy. Starline makes 458x2" brass, $$$

So the real question is: not the load unless you absolutly want the 458x2" Wildcat which is a good hunting round by all means. It's just that 450 Marlin bullets are in the shelves ready to go and have a good bang for the buck

What is your action your building this rifle on?
    What barrel are you using?
    What do you intend to use the rifle for?

I say these questions for asking yourself. I love to build custom rifles and fancy Mauser actions for all my custom standard length cartridges, and CZ 550 long magnum actions for the big long artillery looking rounds Parts are easy to get and most all Gunsmiths are familiar with Mauser "tweaking" for accuracy.

however... hust because the 458WM and the 450 Marlin are more popular, don't let that change your mind if you WANT a 458x2" shooter, but consider the advantages and disadvantages to both options.

happy shooting
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

The M-48 Yugo Mausers would be a good candidate for the 450 Marlin or 458x2. They are a little shorter than a regular larger ring Mauser. So they are not a true 30-06 length action. The 8mm mauser has a 2.2 inch long brass while the 30-06 has a 2.49 inch long brass.
    As already menytioned a M-77MKII Ruger tghat was a 350 Rem mag would be perfect for the 458x2. And I think a short Mexican Mauser action would work as well, after the bolt was opened up.

The 7mm rem mag has a loaded OAL of 3.290 inches for a Remington Receiver. The brass being 2.5 inches long.

For my old Model 70 Win, the 458 Win Mag has a max loaded OAL of 3.340 inches. The brass being 2.5 inches long

So your M-700 action should take a regular 458 Win Mag. with no problem other than some rail twicking (is that a word?)

Thumbs up Mauser 458X2" in Nebraska

Sir,

I have a Mauser action 458X2" that came from Washington State to Nebraska with me on my last move. I don't have much use for the gun here. I am considering taking it to Cabela's Gun Library.

This little brush gun is great for hogs and will take anything in North America inside 100 yards.

The 458X2 cartridge can be made from any of the belted magnum cases: 7MM Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 458 or 458 lOTT. The loads listed in threads below are sound and safe. Rifle includes a RCBS custom 3 die set and paperwork showing chamber dimentions and recommended load data.

If anyone is interested you can probably find it online at the LaVista, NE Cabela's Gun Library by 5 October once entered into the system.

OmahaNE