Thread: Good year for deer in PWS

Default Good year for deer in PWS

After reading all the reports of successful deer hunts this year, I figured I might as well add mine to the list, too. After waiting out the bad weather for most of November, I finally got to get out for a few days a couple of weeks ago. My partner couldn't make it on this trip, so I ended up going solo. I had two does down early and took a buck at the end of the first day. I saw lots of other deer and could have had all five tags filled in just a few hours if I had wanted to. The second day was a little blustery and I didn't spend too much time outside of the little cove I was parked in. I did see one more doe mid-day, but passed hoping to see another buck or two. On the way back in on day three, I punched my last two tags on a couple more bucks. In the three days I was out, I counted 13 deer that I didn't take a shot at, plus the five that I did. If the weather cooperates, I may head out again this weekend and see if I can get my partner on a few deer. Here's a pic of the last buck I took. It's a nice 17-1/2" wide double fork with nice big eye guards.

And here's a pic of a little fawn doe I thought was adorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Very nice wish i was in the woods my self. Congrats on filling the freezer and what looks like a nice little black tail. I will make my way down or over one day.

Good quality pics. Thanks for the trip report.

Man, you guys are killing me with all of these pictures and stories. I might have to give it a shot next year.

Well done! It is nice to see the doe picture as we hunters get a bad rap as killers and in reality we do love the animals we hunt - probably more so than the anti's!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Nice job..solo to boot!!! Let hope they dont get hit too hard over the rest of the winter months due to the heavy snowfall this year.
    I may make another trip as well. Boat is still hooked up to the rig.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Sweet! Nothing I love better than being out in the Sound shooting deer and enjoying the solitude.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Man, you guys are killing me with all of these pictures and stories. I might have to give it a shot next year.
    Me too! If you go next year I'll slit your fuel/food costs.

Congrats on a great buck and a freezer full of tastey venison!
    question for all of you PWS deer hunters, is it possible and safe to deer hunt out of say Whittier in a 13ft zodiac?
    sorry to hijack the thread
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

This year has been one of the hardest as far as snow early. The deer were on the beaches early and heavy. From what I have seen its going to be a hard winter for the deer so harvest what you can when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Congrats on a great buck and a freezer full of tastey venison!
    question for all of you PWS deer hunters, is it possible and safe to deer hunt out of say Whittier in a 13ft zodiac?
    sorry to hijack the thread
    Thanks. And, yes... it is definitely tasty! Had some great tenderloin tonight. Tomorrow is sausage making day. Sunday I'll fire up the Big Chief to smoke up a couple of batches of polish sausage.

About the Zod... yeah, I'm sure it's possible. But, I'm not how sure how safe it would be. Winter weather in the Sound can get pretty sketchy, pretty quick. I suppose if you were really selective about the weather you went out in and stayed close to Whittier, you might get away with it. But I can't say I'd recommend it. I certainly wouldn't head out as far as I did on this hunt in a 13 foot Zod. No way, no how.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Well done. Great pics too. What size boat are you running?

Nice Thread, and pics, Thanks

That first photo is a great one, that's one successful trip and I'll bet it was a good time alone out there

Hmmmm, enjoy that sausage

as to the 13ft Zodiac question, I used to have a 12ft'er with a 35hp on back, and cruised all over Kodiak,
    winter and summer, in all kinds of weather
    That is a very awesome rig for sure,

but you'd better be REAL CAREFUL with forecasts, in winter
    and I would be pretty hesitant to start loading it up with very many Deer,

If you are, "wise, as all get out," you could tear 'em up with that tho,
    Zodiac's are way better Ocean rigs than most give them credit for, but operator error, could make it all moot point
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !