Thread: polaris 6X6

Default polaris 6X6

hello to all,
    i am thinking about getting a 2010 polaris sportsman big boss 800. i have heard that they used to break down all the time and that i should think twice about getting one. i see that there have been some posts already about them and was wondering what pple on here think about them, pros and cons.

thanks

I have had one since new and have been real happy with it. The only mechanical failure that comes to mind is the A-arm bolts in the rear. Ive broke two in 500 miles. But its an easy and inexpensive repair and worth putting up with. The thing is a beast and will haul a ton and go through some nasty places.

My hunting buddy has been on one since 1994. He has upgraded a few times and is now riding a 2010 800 Big Boss. They are great and will go places we probably shouldn't go. I have always been impressed with the 6x6, although his 500cc model was a little low on power - I read that many changed the drive gear by one tooth to improve low end - but he didn't do this. The new 800 has tons of power but likes gas. I was so impressed after riding his 2010 that I bought a 2011. He has about 1K miles and never broke a rear bolt. I have 500 miles and broke one. They cost about $15 each and take a 3/4" socket to change. I now carry two as spares.

Do the side-by-side Ranger 6x6's also have (and sometimes break?) these same long A-arm bolts?