Thread: Bait gone... no animals... need suggestions

Default Bait gone... no animals... need suggestions

I have a bunch of boxes with 120 conibears in them. They are resting on running logs going up to trees. My bait is gone almost every time that I check them but I have only caught 1 ermine. Any suggestion on what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Bcook33 View Post
    I have a bunch of boxes with 120 conibears in them. They are resting on running logs going up to trees. My bait is gone almost every time that I check them but I have only caught 1 ermine. Any suggestion on what to do?
    Turn a couple upside down with the trigger wires pointing up you will soon find out what is stealing your bait.

You could bend the ends of the trigger up and tie some fishing line or small diameter wire to make like a pizza slice.

or

Take the trigger and bend it 90 degrees. Attach hardware cloth or corrugated plastic to make a pan.

Most likely it's shrews that are cleaning you out. When I have this problem, I'll wrap my chunks of bait in a mesh or screen. The scent can still get out, and it keeps those little buggers at bay for a while.
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try.

Shrew! Make a wire cage for your bait or hand your boxes higher. Good luck

I agree that it's most likely shrews, but another possibility is least weasels or small female ermine. They're small enough to slip past the trigger of a 120. If you're curious you could set a few boxes with ordinary rat traps to see if it's the smaller weasels.

Shameless plug: I'm currently looking for least weasels, shrews, and other small mammals to buy for skulls and skeleton mounts.

Depending on how your trigger is set Birds can also be your culprit, although Shrews are a good possiblity. Check around your site for shrew or bird droppings. If you think it is shrews put a sticky trap next to your bait,and tack it down, then the thief becomes the bait.

I also would say shrews. They've been eating my bait almost as fast as I can put it in. I also had a coni get hung up in the box when a marten hit it, shrews got to it, had to put quite a few stitches in that one. I've had shrew droppings in nearly every box. This is the thickest I've seen them in a decade. Actually been thinking of setting mouse traps in the back of the boxes, at least the shrew would make for more bait.