Thread: 10" wide "flexi ski"? Anybody use them?

Default 10" wide "flexi ski"? Anybody use them?

I have metal skis on my Widetrak LX in combination with wide ski skins. When all that nice snow melted, a not so easy off trail run bent the crap out of my skis and tore up my ski skins. I need to replace them with a better set and been checking out the 10" flexi skis. I'm wondering if anybody has run these skis? I need to know how they perform before a plomp down $400 dollars in cash.

Fat/wide skis are a must for my 600 lb. machine.

My 92 LX got a set of plastic ski,s dual carbides skags,Best thing i ever did to that machine! I use to hate those skins on packed trail darted, all over back forth..I don,t have the simmons but my friend does they are top noch.. Mine are take offs from newer.. LX so i was told.. Got them for 100.00 The skags were almost as much, i had in the ski,s But they made a new machine out of it.. feels like driving a different machine ..I didn,t agree with stripping the air box off.. Glad it is working for you..But the ski,s You will love them.They also drop few pounds off the front end too!! getting rid if all that metal..ski..You will feel it right off.. +1..

Going from steel to plastic is like night to day. Do it. I've not seen the 10-inch versions in use, but I know several who use the original 6-inch Simmons and there's nothing bad to say about them.

That said, 10-inches is a LOT of ski and will be less maneuverable in the woods. They'd be great up in the deep fluff and going in straight lines. Just harder to make any tight turns. Even with your heavy load, you might still look at the Gen-III 8-inch version as the happy medium.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

i bought a pair start of the year love them but to stable for my sled hard to put on one ski and would like to sell them. Nice ski to trail brake and no darting on trails. Put 1000 miles on then but didn't ride then in the warmer we had in the valley

What type of skis? were they the 10 in. model? If they will fit a polaris (or adapted to fit) I might be interested in them.

2011 ski doo renagde 10 wide ski

I've got a 99 Polaris SKS 700, not quite your lead sled, but a touch heavy. It has been extended to 151 and I've made a number of other modifications to it, including a set of Gen II Flexi-skis. I should say I've a set on order that should be waiting on me at home and haven't actually mounted them yet. I've several friends that use the 10" skis and love them. They've convinced me by their testimony and by watching them outperform my machine for the past couple of seasons to give them a try. Of course it widens the stance a bit and makes it more difficult in the trees by a couple of inches, but I haven't noticed that turning is any more difficult. It certainly grants a lot of extra flotation and the trail performance seems to be significantly ahead of my sled with the stock skis. I've never known anyone to have the Gen II skis and go back to a narrower profile. $400 is a hefty sum, but I look forward to using them this year.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I put Gen 2s on a couple of Nytro XTXs and didn't care for them. My wife hated them. Took them off and went back to stock. I still have one pair and may attempt to put them on the fat track but I'm not in a hurry to do it. If your sled pushed the front end badly the bigger skis may balance your turning. If it turns nicely now the new skis will probably make turning difficult. Slow speed maneuvering will be more difficult for sure. The big skis bounce off more trees and ice jumbles than standard skis because most tracks you follow are made be standard skis. Trailering is more difficult. With newer sleds that already have fragile front ends there's no way I'd use Gen 2 skis. If you go with Simmons make sure you get the proper mounts for your machine. Truth be told, I'd rather have something less than 10", like Pilot 6.9s or another mountain sled equivalent. The Gen 3s would be another front runner.

If you can find a used pair of SlyDog Powderhounds consider them. They're only 7.5" wide but an otherwise excellent flexible flotation ski.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Thumbs up

So I put 11" skins on my 09 Viking. Had to get them in Canada because we only sell 9" (I think that is what I was told anyway.) But what a difference. As the others stated, night and day. I also put dual carbides on as well and that seems to help a lot be it on ice or powder. But never looked back. For me, this sled with a 24" track and it would be unstoppable but the SWT wins with the wider track, but I still love my sled. Skins make the world of difference.
    Attachment 55831 Attachment 55830
    Tony