Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Wise guide outfitters

  1. #1

    Default Wise guide outfitters

    I thought some of you would like to see this. enjoy!

    Here is the link. It is easier to read. http://www.webmusher.com/alaska/abou...etroopers.html

    It's at the bottom of the page.

  2. #2
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,218

    Default

    Cute. So, what does it have to do with Wise Guide Outfitters?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  3. #3
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Cute. So, what does it have to do with Wise Guide Outfitters?
    See this thread.

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...sing-outfitter
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  4. #4
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,891

    Default

    Looks like this guy might get what he deserves, I can't stand people with no integrity like that
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  5. #5
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    In one of our local papers here in WA.

    http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/1...rging-for.html
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  6. #6

    Default

    On Alaska River Adventures FB page it said that a number of outfitters in Cooper Landing provided trips at no cost or at a deep discount to many fisherman who got ripped off by this guy.

  7. #7
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishkill1 View Post
    On Alaska River Adventures FB page it said that a number of outfitters in Cooper Landing provided trips at no cost or at a deep discount to many fisherman who got ripped off by this guy.
    I know that many members from this forum helped out several victims of this guy and helped them salvage their vacations.

    My thanks to those members.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  8. #8
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,516
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  9. #9
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    WOW! I am amazed how a man can steal $17,299.55 from people and as long as he pays them back he will not have a felony on his record. What a shame our criminal justice system is. Also according to the article he could still work as a guide just can't run his own guide service.
    thanks for the link.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  10. #10
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,319

    Default

    Two whole months in the gray bar motel?
    That's it?
    I would have not problem with this sentance if it also included the lopping off of his right hand!!!!
    Scumbag thieves deserve to have a hand removed!!!

  11. #11
    Member ptarmigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sou'west Anchorage
    Posts
    257

    Default

    I have seen perfectly normal contributing members of society fall off the deep end in a hurry due to Bi-Polar disorder. If he truly was suffering from it then I am not surprised his life went so sideways. 20 good yrs in the business then the last couple went haywire. Bi-Polar disorder can be vicious and can breed very irrational thinking in its highs and lows. I am not condoning his actions by any means, just offering up a reason why someone that seemed to be a decent guy for so long changed so suddenly. I hope if he is suffering from a mental illness he gets the help he needs and he makes his wrongs right. My .02, YMMV...

    BTW, this comes from seeing it first hand with family. It is not fun for anyone involved.

  12. #12
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Thats too bad if he is indeed bi-polar. Thats no excuse though because a felony theft occured. He should have gotten a longer sentence in jail or a mental institution if thats what he needs.
    I sure hope the clients file a class action civil suit against him in case he ever does come into some money so he can pay them back monetarily anyways.
    We need to set better precedents ( a longer sentence/bigger fine) to deter this from happening in the future.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  13. #13
    Member ptarmigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sou'west Anchorage
    Posts
    257

    Default

    I dont think it was ever intented as an excuse, just an explanation to errational behavior. Typically someone of sound mind would not do what he did. I have no doubt he is remorseful and I hope his clients get their money back. More jail time is not always the best solution. I am sure his former clients would like to recover their money some day. Spending years in jail on the states dime is not going to pay them back anytime soon. Heavy handed probation after moderate jail time, with madatory monthly payments to an account for his victims seems appropriate to me.

  14. #14
    Member iusckeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
    I have seen perfectly normal contributing members of society fall off the deep end in a hurry due to Bi-Polar disorder. If he truly was suffering from it then I am not surprised his life went so sideways. 20 good yrs in the business then the last couple went haywire. Bi-Polar disorder can be vicious and can breed very irrational thinking in its highs and lows. I am not condoning his actions by any means, just offering up a reason why someone that seemed to be a decent guy for so long changed so suddenly. I hope if he is suffering from a mental illness he gets the help he needs and he makes his wrongs right. My .02, YMMV...

    BTW, this comes from seeing it first hand with family. It is not fun for anyone involved.
    There are many subtypes and affects of bipolar disorder... Most people relate bipolar to a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type, dual personality disorder. This is not the case in most situations. There are plenty of people with the disorder who are functioning members of our society. Not all individuals diagnosed with bipolar disorder act in a way such as this.

  15. #15
    Member ptarmigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sou'west Anchorage
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    There are many subtypes and affects of bipolar disorder... Most people relate bipolar to a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type, dual personality disorder. This is not the case in most situations. There are plenty of people with the disorder who are functioning members of our society. Not all individuals diagnosed with bipolar disorder act in a way such as this.
    I absolutley agree with this. So do you know to what extent he was affected by it, I sure don't. Again just offering up a possibilty. I do know people with it that are Jekyll and Hydes, so I am speaking with first hand knowledge of my interactions with them.

  16. #16

    Default

    That guy was just weird. He had a boat for sale at one time and when I expressed an interest to come and see the boat he quickly shut me down, saying he didn't want anyone to come onto his property and look at the boat. ***? Weirdo. Shoulda got more jail time.

  17. #17
    Member ptarmigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sou'west Anchorage
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwfishak View Post
    That guy was just weird. He had a boat for sale at one time and when I expressed an interest to come and see the boat he quickly shut me down, saying he didn't want anyone to come onto his property and look at the boat. ***? Weirdo. Shoulda got more jail time.
    At least I tried...

  18. #18

    Default

    I had several encounters with him both on and off the river. I used to guide down there and avoided any dealings with him.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •