Thread: Excellent Outdoors Holster

Default Excellent Outdoors Holster

I'm new to these boards but have been reading posts here for awhile now. Thought I'd say hi and start off my first post with a review of a product made by someone who frequents these boards.

When I had decided on a good reliable outdoors revolver (I ended up with a stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 with a 4 5/8Ē barrel) I knew I needed a good holster for it. After looking at several different brands and not finding what I wanted I decided to have one custom made. After doing some more research and asking questions I came to the conclusion of buying one from Evandailey. Evandailey took the time to ask me several questions about what I wanted and what I was going to be using the holster for. I wanted something that I could use while hunting, fishing, and just general woods carry. Evandailey sent me pictures of some of his work and after much discussion on options, color, and finish I had decided on a chest holster with a removable retention strap and a cartridge slide to hold some extra ammo. I wanted it smooth lined and closed at the bottom. A few short weeks later I recieved my holster and all I can say is wow. It far exceeded anything I had in mind. In addition to being a chest holster evandailey found a way to give me the option of wearing it on my belt as well for those times when I donít want to wear a harness. There is enough adjustment in the straps that I can wear it over a t-shirt or over my hunting parka. The .44 rounds fit perfectly in the cartridge slide, the gun fits perfectly with just the right amount of retention, and the strap is nice an snug over the gun. The stitching is tight and even. Overall the holster reeks of professionalism. Evandailey is a top notch guy to deal with and I highly recommend him for your holster needs. I wore this rig while deer hunting for 9 days this year so far and it has really performed well for me. I have included some pictures to give you an idea on the qualtiy of the item. I freely admit Iím no photographer so go easy on me.

Looks great, love the clean look!

Hard to tell on my monitor, but is that an inside-out holser?

Where is evandailey located?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    Looks great, love the clean look!

Hard to tell on my monitor, but is that an inside-out holser?

Where is evandailey located?
    I'm not sure what you mean by inside out holster? I'm located in West Virginia.

The course side of the leather is usually on the inside but some makers put it on the outside and heavily treat it (or not) for a unique look and durable exterior that doesn't show scratches and blemishes as easily.

I forget the maker, but awhile back I was looking at a holster finished that way and the maker called it an "inside out" holster. I personally like the look and concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    The course side of the leather is usually on the inside but some makers put it on the outside and heavily treat it (or not) for a unique look and durable exterior that doesn't show scratches and blemishes as easily.

I forget the maker, but awhile back I was looking at a holster finished that way and the maker called it an "inside out" holster. I personally like the look and concept.
    I've never done that. I do however typically make fully lined holsters that are smooth on the inside and outside by gluing two pieces of leather together back to back and fully stitching the perimeter. That's how this one was made.

You said "I wanted it smooth lined and closed at the bottom."

I was wondering why you wanted yours closed at the bottom. I have always liked my holsters to be open at the bottom so they will not collect debris in them. Sort of self cleaning I guess. But I could be missing something with my way of holstering.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    You said "I wanted it smooth lined and closed at the bottom."

I was wondering why you wanted yours closed at the bottom. I have always liked my holsters to be open at the bottom so they will not collect debris in them. Sort of self cleaning I guess. But I could be missing something with my way of holstering.
    Hey boliep! I have some open bottom holsters and like them fine for most applications. The main reason I wanted this one closed is because of an incident I had while using an open bottom one for fishing. I was wearing it strong side on my belt. While moving down the river bank I managed to slip and sit right down in the mud. I didn't think much of it until I got back to my vehicle and started taking off my gear to drive home. I had about an inch of mud up the barrel. Good thing I didn't have to use it. I decided then that if I was going to get a dedicated hunting, fishing, crawl through the mud rig that I would have it closed to better protect it from an incident like that.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    I've never done that. I do however typically make fully lined holsters that are smooth on the inside and outside by gluing two pieces of leather together back to back and fully stitching the perimeter. That's how this one was made.
    Thanks for the explanation, the photo is fairly grainy on my monitor.

Beautiful holster and the craftsmanship looks to be of superb quality............................Thanks for sharing your photos JPC76.

Can't argue with your reasoning on the closed bottom to your holster. Experience teaches you a lot of things. Personally I have never done the mud slide thing with a handgun strapped on my waist. With your help, I have learned something without having to suffer through it. Thanks.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

That's a nice looking holster. Mebbe you or someone else could model it so we can see how it fits and sits.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    Can't argue with your reasoning on the closed bottom to your holster. Experience teaches you a lot of things. Personally I have never done the mud slide thing with a handgun strapped on my waist. With your help, I have learned something without having to suffer through it. Thanks.
    Glad I could help!

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    That's a nice looking holster. Mebbe you or someone else could model it so we can see how it fits and sits.
    I do believe that could be arranged. Let me see if the wife has plans for us tonight and I could get her to snap a pic of me wearing it over my Carhartt.