Thread: So now what?

Default So now what?

My family and I have recently relocated to ER for a change in life for our family. We came from California and had work and home set be for we arrived. We have been here for a little over a week and love it. The people the place and the view of the mountains from the front window. I have been looking into hunting in 2012 and am completely overwhelmed. I would love to go after a Bou but am just lost as of now. Any info would be wonderful. I don't know anyone up this way so i will be alone on my hunting for now. The wife may go but the question is were? I know hunting is not free and certainly don't mind putting out some cash. I just cant pay 5k-15k, and would rather burn some boot leather. I'm just looking for info and in no way expect your deepest inner hunting secrets. Thanks for any info.

Your limited to what you can hunt for big game right now. Some of the more attractive animals will require you have a guide to hunt them.

I would start off by researching the Alaska Department of Fish and Game website and stop into the Raspberry Rd. office and pick the brains of some of the people that work in wildlife. That will put you ahead of the game tenfold itself.

Welcome to Alaska! Wow thats a big move for your family. You'll have to wade through the non-resident status stuff first. That means you have to wait one year before recieving resident status for your hunting license. So get your AK drivers license and document utilities ect.... for proof. So as far as Caribou are concerned you'll have to pay non-resident prices for the tag and general license.

There are a few different herds you can focus on. The Nelchina herd is doing well and AK offers a Teir 1 permit for your family once you become a resident.

You have till the end of the month to apply for drawing permits too. There are non-resident options there too.

Go get a 30-06 Winchester Model 70 with a Leupold VXII 3x9 and practice (aprox $1,300).

Research backpacks and optics and make some purchases. Essentially, just starting out you will need to put out for quality gear. So you may approach that 5k figure but you'll own something to show for it. Of course that's really not required to kill bou but desirable.

Good luck in your pursuit.

Other than the Haul road, or units way out west/northwest, your caribou options as a not-yet-a-resident are limited. Apply for the Kenai mountain caribou drawing hunt. You will burn some boot leather. Search out BrianM for info over beer/coffee about the hunt.

For a moose drawing you have options in unit 13. Apply for non-resident bull moose in 13B and 13E. It takes a lot of time in the field and good karma to take a moose by foot in these units, but you can use that to your advantage. Its more about the time than the karma.

Keep and eye on the RV section of craigslist for a "gently used" ATV and you won't be on foot anymore.

Go get a 30-06 Winchester Model 70 with a Leupold VXII 3x9 and practice approxx $1,300). ha ha

i have that exact gun but with a Nikon pro-staff. 3x9.lol That and a few more. I have hunted be for and certainly don't need any more guns, but I will buy some. I talked to fish and game about my residen statusous and they said I qualify now because i have the intent to stay in state for the hole year. I will have to make my way down to the office and talk with them. If not no worries I can always do some hiking- scouting this year. I was thinking of a pws hunt this year with the wife. Something from a boat for a Big Black or 2 between us. May be a sika or at least spend a fchasinging after them.

I have most of the gear needed including optics and what not. I do need a good fame pack,suggestionstions?

What aATVthe atv laws up here in regards to hunting?

thanks for the info

get a 30-30 and some core lokt ammo from 3 bears (14 bucks a box) and some Iron ridge boots (100 bucks) and some rope (10 bucks) No clue how much your tags will be, but you might wanna apply for the moose hunts in anchorage there are some non resident ones if I remember right. I'll take a look see, seems like I almost applied for one, maybe they were disabled or something.

anyway, hunting can be pretty cheap if you want it to be.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by medic2022 View Post
    I talked to fish and game about my residen statusous and they said I qualify now because i have the intent to stay in state for the hole year.
    Not to rain on your parade, but you must have misunderstood them. You have to physically reside in Alaska one year with the intent to stay before you are allowed to hunt as a resident. That means not only will you have to hunt as a non res the rest of this season, but you will also miss most of the general season hunts for next fall. If you've been here 1 week now, You won't be a resident until some time in Dec next year. Any hunting before that time is as a non res.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Welcome to Alaska. I made the exact same move from the Bay Area 7 years ago and absolutely love it. We came for 1 year and have never left. No need to spend thousands to get out hunting up here. Start by picking up a copy of the regs at Fred Meyer, Fish and Game Office, or print from online.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ations.hunting

Read through it. Then read it again.

This forum is a wealth of information and most folks here are friendly and willing to help you out.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Go get a 30-06 Winchester Model 70 with a Leupold VXII 3x9 and practice approxx $1,300). ha ha

i have that exact gun but with a Nikon pro-staff. 3x9.lol That and a few more. I have hunted be for and certainly don't need any more guns, but I will buy some. I talked to fish and game about my residen statusous and they said I qualify now because i have the intent to stay in state for the hole year. I will have to make my way down to the office and talk with them. If not no worries I can always do some hiking- scouting this year. I was thinking of a pws hunt this year with the wife. Something from a boat for a Big Black or 2 between us. May be a sika or at least spend a fchasinging after them.

I have most of the gear needed including optics and what not. I do need a good fame pack,suggestionstions?

What aATVthe atv laws up here in regards to hunting?

thanks for the info
    The ATV laws vary depending on the unit you are planning to hunt and sometimes change within a specific unit. You will have to read up on where you want to go specifically in the regs and double check the land use regulations through the landowner/management authority (BLM/State/Local/Native Corporation/etc...). One thing to research as you are going through is the rules related to crossing of fish streams.

As others have said, what you stated regarding residency status is not accurate. You must physically be here for a full year before you qualify. Read page 9 of the hunting regs (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...fs/general.pdf). It is very clear as to what the qualifications are.

As Ray mentioned, I'd be happy to sit down with you over a cup of coffee or a pint of beer to talk hunting ideas. Unfortunately I can't do so until January sometime, but if you're interested then drop me a note sometime in January and we'll make it happen.

As twodux mentioned, you'll be a non-resident until next December. You can still hunt, but you'll need a non-resident license ($85, I think) and big game tags. You will not be able to hunt sheep, goat, or brown bear without a registered guide, but moose, caribou, deer, or black bear are options if you're willing to pay the price. Alternatively, you could buy a non-resident small game license and spend the year learning the areas while hunting hare, ptarmigan, and grouse. If you buy next year's non-resident license and decide to apply for some drawing permits, make sure the hunts are not restricted to residents-only and make sure that access options are reasonable for you. Assume that if a drawing permit has a high % chance of winning that it is very difficult to draw.

Thanks for the clarification on the residency. Certainly no rain on my parade. I have been hunting for years now in WY and TX as a nonresident and I am completely for the high fees for the non-res tags. I think they help to support the sport we all love. I am also for that drink when ever you are free. I have been considering the idea of small game for some time and would love to get my kids in the field. I did a thread a bit ago and received some wonderfully info and offers. Has any one done a boat based Black Bears? I have seen a few people that go out but never had any references retired to me when i requested. It would be my wifes first hunt and I think she would enjoy the boating and a warm bed. Then maybe some fly in or my ultimate a float trip. I would love a Goat just don't have the knees for it. Again thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If you buy next year's non-resident license and decide to apply for some drawing permits, make sure the hunts are not restricted to residents-only and make sure that access options are reasonable for you. Assume that if a drawing permit has a high % chance of winning that it is very difficult to draw.

I think what BrianM meant was that you should assume if a drawing permit has a high % chance of winning, that it is very difficult (and/or expensive) to access the hunt area. (?) I.E. difficult access and/or fly in areas only.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

PLEASE,PLEASE, PLEASE don't make a 250 dollar mistake like a buddy of mine. You have to be in the state for 365 days, to be and hunt as a resident. He got here the 30th of Dec and bought a resident tag and signed for a registration hunt to hunt Caribou the first week of Dec the following year and he got BUSTED!! 250 dollar fine and an extreme amount of embarrassment when his name was posted in the paper.

Welcome to the forum, hang out here, it is a great place to learn. Use this time to get to know the regs and attend some training that you will need if you want to bear bait or bow hunt. Both require a class to earn your certification.

Spring bear will be the next big season and even as a non resident the cost is not that expensive, and besides a great trophy they are great eating.

Fresh bear back straps

Again please don't try to get your resident license before your year (365 days) is up. The state uses a very good computer program to cross reference permanent fund applications and it also is used to check for license violations. Also make sure to keep documents supporting the day you arrived and get your Alaska drivers license ASAP.

Welcome, you are going to love it and will know all the ins and outs before you know it. Great thing about getting here in the winter is there are more people on the forum to help you out as we all get busy when break up comes.

Get a small game license and get out and explore.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I talked to fish and game about my residen statusous and they said I qualify now because i have the intent to stay in state for the hole year.
    What you have just learned is that Fish and Game phone answering staff don't really know much about the law(s). Since they do not enforce them they have no real need to know them. The State Troopers enforce game laws. If you have specific legal questions you should ask the Troopers. F&G gets people in trouble often, so don't let them put you in a bind. No matter what they tell you, its up to you to know the law. The Trooper won't care what F&G told you as he writes the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    I think what BrianM meant was that you should assume if a drawing permit has a high % chance of winning, that it is very difficult (and/or expensive) to access the hunt area. (?) I.E. difficult access and/or fly in areas only.
    Oops, yes...that's what I meant. Difficult to access if its easy to win. Thanks for the correction.

Take everyone's advice about the small game license. I think it's $25 for non-residents and allow you to hunt hares, ptarmigan, grouse and ducks (with the appropriate additinional stamps). That small investment will provide ample opportunity for you to make simple weekend hunt trips with the family while exploring new country and enjoying some of what AK has to offer.

My family made a similar move from northern California. We were an outdoorsy family in CA, but AK has allowed for more and bigger adventures. Your kids will be very fortunate growing up here, especially with parents that will get them out to explore this great state. My kids now take bush flying and river float trips for granted. lol I suppose they think all kids around the country get to do stuff like that. You might also want to look into Boy/Girl Scouts. The kids do some pretty cool stuff up here and you'll be able to network with other adventure minded parents. Here's a few pics of what can await you.