Thread: For the Guy/Gal Building a Log Cabin in the Bush on Your Own

Default For the Guy/Gal Building a Log Cabin in the Bush on Your Own

Hello Everyone,

You know, I have this vision of something relatively small and simple. I figure a one room first floor with maybe a 1/2 or 3/4 loft. I am trying to visualize how much space it would encompass and if the loft would be big enough if I made the dimensions, say, 16' x 14'. I was kind of surprised that there wasn't a sticky for your generic, baseline, bush cabin and what is entailed. Pouring footings or posts to raise cabin for permafrost reasons, and whatever else. The beauty of having that would be that someone could use that as a baseline or starter and change some things to match their needs. I tried looking for cabin plans on the internet, and I just get inundated with these prefab 1200 sq foot plus homes, not cabins. If there is anyone that can point me in a direction, I'll do the research and come up with something for that next person, and in the process, I'll learn a thing or two. I don't know if anyone will agree with me lol! I'm going to try though. I personally though would like to hear some input on what goes into just building that simple cabin that doesn't involve turnkey setups and companies coming in and dumping prefab materials. A cabin built with notched logs, with a door and a couple of windows, and maybe a little porch so I can enjoy my retirement and sip some Countrytime lemonade! Thank you for your time

God Bless

Jeff

Mr Jeff,,

These are some photos of a remote BLM cabin that was built using D logs and some 2 bys. This cabin was built in a few days by a small crew. Would be very easy to replicate for anyone with any basic carpenter skills. The materials could be hauled in my snowmachine. Welcome and best wishes in realizing your dream.

Steve

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Hey Steve,

Thank you for the great pictures! See, that is something that I would be extremely comfortable with!!!! No disrespect intended towards anyone, but I think someone who says they want a cabin in the woods, and then they turn around and cart in materials for a 1500 square foot log home, not cabin. I think that cabin there is adequate for just me, and maybe a second person. That would be my bush mansion!!! Can you stand up in that loft? Are you using that for your sleep area? See, if I could put in a decent size loft, I could use that as a bedroom and a limited storage area, which would really leave downstairs open and comfy. You wouldn't happen to know the dimensions of that cabin would you? You couldn't have nailed it any better with the type of cabin I am looking for!!!! I will probably end up sinking concrete footers/posts as the foundation, and I don't know yet if I am going to use logs or do the 3-sided deal. Anymore advice is appreciated, I'd really like to make this into a sticky. Thank you

God Bless!!

Jeff

The cabin in the photos is 12 x 16 and the loft is 54 inches at the peak, so a bend over deal for sleeping or storage. It is not mine it is a public cabin in a remote area. I just liked the design and took many photos with the thought of building one similar.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Looks like Bear Creek......

Those are some great descriptive pics Steve, lot of info there, I love the simplicity and function of that plan

Only thing I would suggest for Corpsman, is really looking into "Chinkless style" log building,
    versus the way those 3-sided logs are sealed/insulated in the seam between the logs
    (not sure how they do that, maybe batten of fglass in there. but worth checking into)

That looks like a great plan for quick construction, you could even do that really easily with a basic Chainsaw Mill out in the field,
    but I have a feeling you might want to have better insul between those logs, you might be surprised how much cold seeps between those logs in a heavy winter, means you gotta keep the stove cranking from November to March

Takes a little longer per log, but the Chinkless style, popular in most northern AK applications,
    might be the way you want to go for a winter-over place to stay cozy

The problem with that style is that as the logs dry and shrink, they don't get tighter but looser at the seam, so unless you have logs drying for maybe a couple years, before constructing, they'll be shrinking away from each other,

Well, I won't go way into it, but it's worth checking out, here's a book that describes it well, and it doesn't have to be a log HOME, you can whip out a small place like that, though it might take a little longer than the three sided style, maybe a lot happier in the end

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Alask.../dp/088240511X

This is all dependant on your timber supply, and time, etc.
    if you have logs on your land, or if you need to drag it in with snowmachine, etc. That cabin Steve has pictured, could be brought in so easily, it might trump any logging, peeling, and notching plan by quite a ways
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Hey Kodiak!

As a matter of fact, my new best friend "ChasingBear" sent me a library of books and DVD's, and one of them is that particular book. I bought a home up in Northern Maine, Stockholm to be specific. It's about 12 miles north of Caribou. It was a 100 year old farmhouse. It had no insulation on the exterior walls and in the winter month's it got down to 40-50 below zero. When I would put my hand over an outlet on the exterior wall, it wouldn't take long for it to start throbbing from the cold air coming through! I was spending $300 every 2 weeks on oil and loading the woodstove to the brim and I couldn't get the house over 50 degrees! I think one wood stove should be able to heat a small cabin with a 1/2 or 2/4 loft or I am in trouble Thank you!

God Bless

Jeff

That's really cool, great to hear folks taking care of ya like that,

and you have "been there," on the "Cranking the woodstove" deal too,
    ( most of us have I imagine,...well some anyway, heh heh never Forget that myself either)

Yea, you certainly will be able to keep a small place like that, with loft, etc. heated really comfortably through the most intense winter with one woodstove.
    The one I had was even smaller than the stove in Steve's pics, and was just perfect for a 16x16 I built with logs that were about fourteen inch diameter average, and using the style in Walkers's book, it is really brilliant how the weight of the building, roof snowload, etc., combined with the tendency of the logs to contract into the one beneath it as they shrink , actually tightens up the building as it ages

Anyway, That is The Book, for sure,
    I got a chance to build log buildings professionally for a couple years before building my own, and can say that book describes it as well as anything I have read

by the way, I am enamored with your plan,....hope you keep us in the loop as it goes, or post pics afterward
    maybe if I can get a slide scanner going, I'll post some pics of my log building experience,

Had "The Time of My Life," out there doing that building in the woods, You're Gonna Have Some Fun !!
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Kodiak,

I started a blog, which I have just 2 posts so far and 2 followers LOL! I thought I wouldn't have alot to say initially, but with the departure date moved up, I should be posting often! My blog is Alaskan Yankee LOL! I will be posting updates and general ramblings pretty often. I lokk forward to the pics!

Jeff