Thread: Wiggy's Waders?

Default Wiggy's Waders?

OK, so it appears my first trip to Alaska is still on for late August. Flying in to bowhunt for caribou on the north face of the Brooks Mountain Range. Had intended to use my Christmas money to purchase a new tent, but my new hunting partner has that covered. So, turning my attention elsewhere.

I've learned footwear is a very big deal regardless of where I'm hunting. I have a couple good pair of Lowa boots and a couple good pair of knee high, ankle fit rubber boots. Figure a pair of good gaiters will be worth their weight in gold.

Came across these while surfing the web recently:

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/pr...products_id/49

Curious what you guys think of these for stream crossings? Lightweight, over the boot, rubber soled for traction, fits easily in the backpack.....seems like a good fit on the surface.

So, what do you think? Good idea, bad idea, alternatives?

As always, appreciate the feedback!

Paul

I have used these for years. They work great and are light weight. Just don't expect to wear them on land very much as they will not last very long--they weren't designed for that kind of wear and tear. Put them on when crossing and take them off when done.Might be able to find them cheaper somewhere other than Lathrop's...Good luck!

Something like that really depends on the area that you will be hunting. If you are taking hip boots or waders they probably would be a good idea if the area you will be in has streams and river crossing potential
    Semper Fi and God Bless

The Wiggy's waders are nice and light, but as was mentioned they are not tough enough for extended wear and best for crossings only. The Black ones in your link are the old style and not as durable as the new multi camo ones. I have used them on sheep hunts in the Brooks with great success.

Get the news ones straight from the Wiggy's site or from Wiggy's in Anchorage.

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=5

The Neos Rivers Trekkers are much more durable and can be worn for long distances and weight about 5lbs, make sure to try them on over your boots to ensure fit. I use Lowas boots and wear these over.

http://www.overshoe.com/Pages/Produc...RSHOE&pid=RTK8

While I have not tried the new Muck Boots waders, I have used muck boots for years and love them. While on Kodiak this year I saw many guides and their clients using the new Muck Waders and I will be adding a set to my kit as they looked to be very comfortable and functional.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Muck8...h-All+Products

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

+1 on what Stid2677 said.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

another option for over the boot waders is the Sourdough slipper that Bob has over at Barney's...easy on and easy off and very durable...used the last 2 moose hunts...no issues at all...can't comment on the wiggy's version but most of Mark's stuff is also spot on...

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCzar View Post
    another option for over the boot waders is the Sourdough slipper that Bob has over at Barney's...easy on and easy off and very durable...used the last 2 moose hunts...no issues at all...can't comment on the wiggy's version but most of Mark's stuff is also spot on...
    The Sourdough slipper and the Neos River Trekker are pretty much the same exact thing.
    Founding Member

My first use with the original Wiggy's black pull overs resulted in wet pants, boots, socks and feet. I tossed them in the garbage when I got back home. Couldn't find any holes in them, so I'm assuming it was poor seems resulting in the leekage. Never came close to going over the top, so I'm certain it wasn't operator error.

I used the black ones two years ago on Kodiak. Crossed a small river about 8 or 9 times before they started leaking. I won't use them again. Only used them to cross the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    I used the black ones two years ago on Kodiak. Crossed a small river about 8 or 9 times before they started leaking. I won't use them again. Only used them to cross the water.
    The black ones were no good and Marc at Wiggy's knows that he even replaced my black ones with the new Camo ones for free. The new ones are made from a different material and the soles are a thicker rubber. I gave the camo ones a good work out this fall and they did not leak or gets holes in the soles.

Steve
    Founding Member

we use them every year...the new ones are better...in my opinion (with extensive use) theyre summed up pretty well with one word: disposable. very useful, lightweight, yada, yada, yada..they beat the hell out of carrying around hipboots (or wearing them in my opinion) but they will leak with lots of use. period. even the new ones. i'll still use em though. theres always a set in my pack, and proly always will be. dont like barney's version personally cause it defeats the purpose for me. i never even feel the wiggy's in my pack cause they weigh next to nothing and the packability is awsome. the barneys overshoe thingies are too bulky and they leak with extensive use also. pic your poison or pony up and get a good pair of hipboots ("good" being a very relative term)

Thanks guys.

Wealth of experience on this forum!

Appreciate you sharing it.

Paul

Be sure to check your boot soles for rocks before you put them on. I did not have any trouble with the rounded rocks in the river, but the sharper ones that got stuck in my sole did in a set of Wiggys. Liked them so much I promptly bought another set.

I called Wiggies once to ask about returning a set of thier cheap waders after one trip. I was told they don't warrenty them. I don't buy them any more. All they would have to do is put a more durable sole on them and they would have a better product. All we do now is make some nylon waders without soles and use duct tape around the top of our water proof boots. You get the advantage of good hiking boots and lightweight waders without the bulk. This system works great in areas where you have to cross rivers many times in one day. I hate hiking in waders.

Marc Taylor, aka Wiggy's Alaska, as previously noted replaced any leaking old ones brought into him. I brought a pair in and he replaced them no question. The new ones seem to be a much better product and have not leaked yet. The old ones? No I would not recommend opr use them. The new ones? Yes and yes.

Aqua shoes or those new 5 finger shoes. Just ford creeks in your skivvies. Less volume and weight to carry.

Is there actually any difference at all between the sourdough slipper by barneys and the Neos River Trakker? They look identicle to me.

Quote Originally Posted by inarcher View Post
    OK, so it appears my first trip to Alaska is still on for late August. Flying in to bowhunt for caribou on the north face of the Brooks Mountain Range. Had intended to use my Christmas money to purchase a new tent, but my new hunting partner has that covered. So, turning my attention elsewhere.

I've learned footwear is a very big deal regardless of where I'm hunting. I have a couple good pair of Lowa boots and a couple good pair of knee high, ankle fit rubber boots. Figure a pair of good gaiters will be worth their weight in gold.

Came across these while surfing the web recently:

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/pr...products_id/49

Curious what you guys think of these for stream crossings? Lightweight, over the boot, rubber soled for traction, fits easily in the backpack.....seems like a good fit on the surface.

So, what do you think? Good idea, bad idea, alternatives?

As always, appreciate the feedback!

Paul
    I use these. Worth their weight in gold!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I've had a pair of the black wiggy's waders that I have used for about 5 years on maybe 8 hunts. No leaks yet. I am VERY careful when I use them though. I put them on, cross the water carefully and then take them off. I am very careful to avoid sharp rocks. I suspect that at some point my luck is going to run out though....

Great investment for sure!