Thread: Ruger LCR .357 vs. .38+P

Default Ruger LCR .357 vs. .38+P

Anyone use the .357 version yet? Contemplating it over the .38 but am interested in hearing from people who have used both. I`m aware of what both rounds are capable of so no need to compare there. I can only assume the .357 will have more felt recoil but lets be honest, it won`t matter much at the ranges it is intended for. I`m more concerned for the woman in my life that will practice with it.

Anywho, thoughts?

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Anyone use the .357 version yet? Contemplating it over the .38 but am interested in hearing from people who have used both. I`m aware of what both rounds are capable of so no need to compare there. I can only assume the .357 will have more felt recoil but lets be honest, it won`t matter much at the ranges it is intended for. I`m more concerned for the woman in my life that will practice with it.

Anywho, thoughts?
    Donít know about the LCR but my life long handgun rule is if you can buy one of same model that shoots big and little both ALWAYS buy it over the one that only shoots one or the other. I own a lot of 38s but only ever buy a 38 if itís stupid cheaper than 357 or the gun only comes in 38. Get her the 357 and let her shoot 38s in it if thatís all she wants to shoot.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

That is a carry gun and not a shooting gun IMHO. I shot a cylinder full of magnum rounds thru one a customer had and it made me want to go back to an L frame or at least a K frame after the 2nd shot. If your lady is not used to shooting things that hurt then I would by all means start her off with some light wadcutter stuff and if you can work her up to 38 Spl +p ammo at some point. The magnum rounds are a real handfull and for 2 legged critters the 38 spl 125 gr +P will work just fine.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    That is a carry gun and not a shooting gun IMHO. I shot a cylinder full of magnum rounds thru one a customer had and it made me want to go back to an L frame or at least a K frame after the 2nd shot. If your lady is not used to shooting things that hurt then I would by all means start her off with some light wadcutter stuff and if you can work her up to 38 Spl +p ammo at some point. The magnum rounds are a real handfull and for 2 legged critters the 38 spl 125 gr +P will work just fine.
    Yea I agree. Iím a heavy recoil handgun nut, love shooting all kinds of heavy hitters but I DONíT shoot my wifeís 65LS with 357s in it. That little thing flat eats me up with 357, itís a handful with most 38s for me but the little lady does just fine with it somehow, I think it just fits her hand a lot better.

No matter what Iíd get the 357 for resale value if nothing else even if you never shoot a 357 in it. You bet 38 with good ammo is plenty for people, even in Alaska winter gear. So there is need to load it heaver unless she may be bumping into moose/bear and is looking for more of a field gun then Iíd look at other calibers. My wife packs 180g cast 357s because she shoots them fine and we live in moose central here, never seen a bear here (sign only a couple times) but even taking out the trash is a moose adventure.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thank you for the replies gentlemen. I too lean toward the .357 for all the reasons mentioned. This will be a cc and camp carry gun and need to to be able to run a little more bullet in the woods.

The recoil aspect for me is fine...I use a G29 and it snaps pretty good with hardcast ammo. The other half has run the G29 as well a few times and says it doesn`t hurt so it gives me some confidence in her ability to fire the .357 in heavy variations when needed.

Thanks again for the input...it is much appreciated.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

I have one as a back-up gun. After the first cylinder with full power .357 loads the web of my hand was smarting pretty good. My second time out I took a much firmer grip and was able to shoot a box of 50 without any pain. It is a handful though. My wife, who is a police officer also, was not able to shoot it without pain.

I have average sized hands and can get a pretty good hold on its smallish grip, but friends with large hands seem to be unable to get a secure enough hold on the grip to control the stout recoil and end up with some pain.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

If recoil is a problem you could go with the new 8rnd 22 lcr

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    If recoil is a problem you could go with the new 8rnd 22 lcr

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

Not an issue for me...suffered third degree burns to my right hand and wrist...can barely feel my hand...I call it my dumb hand and it often gets used as a hammer.

I`m more concerned with my girl being able to keep it in her hand after a shot under stress. Sounds like it is close to my G29s recoil...as noted I don`t feel much so I`ll have to get her out with another round of hotter ammo in the Glock and see what she thinks. BTW, she won`t carry it day to day just in the woods. It will be one of my carry guns.

Side note...wonder why the .357 doesn`t get the laser option????

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post

Not an issue for me...suffered third degree burns to my right hand and wrist...can barely feel my hand...I call it my dumb hand and it often gets used as a hammer.

I`m more concerned with my girl being able to keep it in her hand after a shot under stress. Sounds like it is close to my G29s recoil...as noted I don`t feel much so I`ll have to get her out with another round of hotter ammo in the Glock and see what she thinks. BTW, she won`t carry it day to day just in the woods. It will be one of my carry guns.

Side note...wonder why the .357 doesn`t get the laser option????
    It will recoil more than a G29 Iím sure. I have shot G29 and 357 J-frames, not LCR but itís the same 40oz size. Without the slide taking some of it with hot 377 180s you will know you shot it numb hand and all.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    It will recoil more than a G29 Iím sure. I have shot G29 and 357 J-frames, not LCR but itís the same 40oz size. Without the slide taking some of it with hot 377 180s you will know you shot it numb hand and all.
    Point taken...maybe she`ll have to pack the Glock in the sticks. My primary is an 870 anyway.

Thanks again for the info.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

my scandium 357...numbs my arm...after two shots with Buffalo Bores through it. The 38+Ps weren't bad. However, my reference of "bad" is now skewed...
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!