Thread: Boolit casting newby!

Default Boolit casting newby!

Man am I fired up now, I ordered my Lee casting 6 cavity moulds and their production pot months ago and just finally got my last lead order in. Got my lead today and of course had to fire up the works and try all my new stuff. I'm totally impressed now with the Lee 6 cavity aluminum molds. Holy crap do they make good boolits if you prep your molds right before you use them. Lookout Birchwood, here I come with affordable loads for my 454.............
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Yeah, 15 cents per round vs $1.50 makes it cheap enough to get good with your 454. The 6 cav Lee molds do cast very well but the aluminum they are made from is very soft. Keep the proper spots lubed per instructions and drill and tap for a small screw where the opening lever pushes against the side of the mold and Lee molds can last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Yeah, 15 cents per round vs $1.50 makes it cheap enough to get good with your 454. The 6 cav Lee molds do cast very well but the aluminum they are made from is very soft. Keep the proper spots lubed per instructions and drill and tap for a small screw where the opening lever pushes against the side of the mold and Lee molds can last a long time.
    Thanks for the heads up rbuck. As soon as I read your post I looked at my mold and it has noticable wear right where you said after 150 casts. Thanks for the pointer, much appreciated.

I don't know if you have one or not, but a lead thermometer was the single most helpful casting tool I bought!
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I cast for a bunch of years without a thermometer and got to the point I didn't really need one but I got one for Christmass a couple of years ago and I can say it would have shortened my learning curve a bunch. Check out a Forum called cast boolits if you haven't it's a wealth of knowledge and has an excellent swap and sell page. Just watch out for the Tinsel Fairy. Nasty little beast.

Oh yes, a thermometer is 1st on my list of new orders. Would have made it much easier on the 1st few pours for sure.
    Thanks for the info guys.